• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    So, I made the decision a few months ago to that I wanted to try my hand at building and AR15 from scratch. I have my lower all completed, but due to known issues, finding parts to even get started on my upper seems to be near impossible at this point.

Anyone out there have any secrets or tips that they can give me for places to look to track down parts?

I started with a Spike Tactical lower. I am flexible with the brand of upper I use. I just want to get something that is decent quality.

My main goal is for target shooting, but using it for hunting is some day is not out of the question.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There are no secret stashes of parts that I know of.

Are you looking for a complete upper or are you building that too? Either way, just try to be patient and buy what you can when you can and don't get ripped off on what some are charging. Things are going to come back down, especially upper parts.

Good luck and welcome to ingo. Lots of good folks here.

jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the warm welcome and for the tips. I would prefer to build the upper rather then buying one complete. That is part of the experience that I am after.

I will check out the links that everyone has posted. I appreciate the information!

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Go to JoeBobOutfitters and put all of their Spikes uppers on "email me when this is available". They've been getting a limited number (10-15) of uppers every 2-3 weeks.

They go VERY quick though...

The FedEx man will be dropping of the 16" Midlength LE for me tomorrow...

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    About the only things I have had a really hard time finding are BCGs and gas tubes. Gas tubes can be found with a little digging, but BCGs have been very tough to find. I think Titus Firearms in Elkhart has (or can quickly get) everything except the BCG. I know he had stripped uppers, barrels, and handguards earlier today.

If you check MAPartsInc & PKFirearms, one of them may be able to supply a complete upper w/ BCG.

Also, JoeBobs, Rainier, and other vendors seem to still have uppers trickling in occasionally, so just set up watch lists and have the CC ready.

Lastly, keep an eye on the classifieds. I know I have sold a couple of upper build kits lately for what I have in them & I doubt I'm the only one just happy to recoup costs on the parts.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Go to JoeBobOutfitters and put all of their Spikes uppers on "email me when this is available". They've been getting a limited number (10-15) of uppers every 2-3 weeks.

They go VERY quick though...

The FedEx man will be dropping of the 16" Midlength LE for me tomorrow...

They've sold Alot more than that, I believe they said a few pallets each time.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Model 1 Sales:

These guys seem to still have stuff in stock. Uppers, barrels, kits, accessories, etc.

I ordered a complete kit from them on Dec. 19th. It took them 10 days just to generate this response:

Thank you for your order

Due to an unusually high order volume, it is taking longer than expected to process orders. At this time, we can not provide an estimated shipping date for your order. We will provide you with an e mail confirmation that we have received your order, however the e mail confirmation does not guarantee an exact or approximated shipping date.

Your credit card will not be charged until your order is ready to be shipped.
    When your order is ready to be processed, we will process your bank card and notify you that your order will be shipping in a few days.

Thank you for your patience

Model 1 Sales

kbailey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette
    Just what are you looking for?

Bravo Company has several barrels, multiple handguards, and gas tubes in stock. Also, if Stag Arms website is correct they have upper receivers and some barrels in stock.

Bravo Co also had BCGs in stock for several minutes this afternoon but you had to be quick.

ETA: Fulton Armory has barrels in stock as well.

jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    kbailey, I basically am starting from scratch working on the upper. I will go check those sites out as well as all of the others that folks have mentioned above. I appreciate all the information!

kbailey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette
    kbailey, I basically am starting from scratch working on the upper. I will go check those sites out as well as all of the others that folks have mentioned above. I appreciate all the information!

If you give me a better idea what you are wanting to build I can give you better sources for parts. Are you looking for a 16" barrel or 20" barrel? Looking for free float rails or standard hand guards? What kind of rails if you want rails? What kind of price range?

Here is a short list of Companies I like to buy from:

Rainier arms
    Bravo company USA
    LaRue Tactical
    Midway USA
    Midwest industries
    Precision reflex inc

Hope that list helps point you in the right direction

Top Bottom