• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    i would like to build a decent range on my property. I have some basic ideas. But would like some pics or thoughts on guys that have them on there property.

I am thinking the basic berm and shooting benches. But I want it to look decent on my property because I live on a busy road. I know it should be easy to push some dirt up and shoot into but I would like some input from guys who have done it.

thanks

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    An idea that I have used.

Buy some patio block; the plain old flat, rectangular blocks. Paint them white and then put your ranges on them in black. Set one every ten yards back from the target holders. They look good, make it easy to judge range and you can mow right over them. You'll need to touch up the paint every year or so.

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    What's your budget?

ha ha ha!! Very little right now! This is going to be an ongoing project. I am thinking I can get ahold of some heavy equipment and some free dirt maybe. I would love to say that my budget is limitless but its not. I probably wont even get a chance to start on it til the spring time or summer anyways.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    My range took advantage of a dam on our property, so I didn't have to push dirt around.

You asked about a shooting bench. Here is some information about one I built:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...3-built_my_own_shooting_bench_-_pictures.html

Here's a picture of the shooting bench in use along the top of the dam.
    212ze6r.jpg

I built several PVC target holders. Other INGO members have posted about their designs. Do an advanced search to find that thread.

Here's a summertime picture of the range.
    jqgaqg.jpg

I have a long table surface for bowling pins and targets and a cable for hanging paper targets. The PVC target stands can be placed anywhere I want them.

During NFA Day this year, the range tables got abused! It was great fun!
    29x9o9w.jpg

Good luck to you as you design and build your range. I find the planning is part of the fun. Seeing your designs come to life is a blast!

jajwrigh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    If possible, take advantage of any ravines or hills because this saves time and money. Natural backstops are also going to be very safe. I currently have a 50 yard and a 12 yard pistol range, which both use ravines for the backstop. Good luck to you.

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    Good luck to you as you design and build your range. I find the planning is part of the fun. Seeing your designs come to life is a blast!

Thanks! I was actually looking at the class you are hosting at your place that is what got me started again thinking about my own range. It is always at the back of my mind I just gotta get the time and funds to get it done. Thanks for the pics and the info.

I will have to move some dirt but I dont think I will be a big headache. Its just nice to see others people stuff to get some ideas.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    ha ha ha!! Very little right now! This is going to be an ongoing project. I am thinking I can get ahold of some heavy equipment and some free dirt maybe. I would love to say that my budget is limitless but its not. I probably wont even get a chance to start on it til the spring time or summer anyways.

Get it all laid out and have a plan at least in your head. First thing to actually do is push up some dirt and get grass planted and growing on it. Everything is gravy after that.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Big Enough

Build it big enough. Are you thinking a three sided bay or simply a back stop? You have been on my range. I did not think I was building it too small but I sure wish it was a little bigger now. My original dirt work was $700 and I think that was a good deal. I kept getting estimates until I found one that I liked. They ranged from 700 - 2400.

Make sure you make it high enough and you have to allow for some settling of the dirt. A good guy with the dozer will shape it and smooth it and it won't settle a bunch but it is going to settle some. Plan for it.

Make a plan, save the money, doing it right once. A proper job that lasts for a lifetime of shooting is not going to be too expensive in the long run.

50bmgshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Greenfield
    i built one at my gravel pit. we had an excavator and a off-road truck not in use so i took a day off and put one up. its about 13-15 ft tall, 40 ft long, and 30ft. deep. thats alot bigger than i really needed but shooting 50s needs a good back stop!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    My range took advantage of a dam on our property, so I didn't have to push dirt around.

You asked about a shooting bench. Here is some information about one I built:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...3-built_my_own_shooting_bench_-_pictures.html

Here's a picture of the shooting bench in use along the top of the dam.
    212ze6r.jpg

I built several PVC target holders. Other INGO members have posted about their designs. Do an advanced search to find that thread.

Here's a summertime picture of the range.
    jqgaqg.jpg

I have a long table surface for bowling pins and targets and a cable for hanging paper targets. The PVC target stands can be placed anywhere I want them.

During NFA Day this year, the range tables got abused! It was great fun!
    29x9o9w.jpg

Would you be my new best friend?! :D

very nice!

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Would you be my new best friend?! :D

very nice!

I have made many new friends through INGO and can always use more! :)

Come to NFA Day or a pistol class that we host and you'll get to see the range.

I use the range and my stash of ammo to lure my grown son to spend time with me. If he wants to give up the role, are you interested in applying? :D

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I've been to your house. I would be happy to let you adopt me. :rockwoot:

Wow, this is intriguing. I get a clever, articulate, computer-savvy adopted son and the glamorous Spasmo as a daughter-in-law. :) Evan should be worried…very worried! :D

(p.s. My apology to the OP for diverting this thread. We now return to our regularly scheduled programming…..)

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    Wow, this is intriguing. I get a clever, articulate, computer-savvy adopted son and the glamorous Spasmo as a daughter-in-law. :) Evan should be worried…very worried! :D

(p.s. My apology to the OP for diverting this thread. We now return to our regularly scheduled programming…..)

Dont worry about diverting! I am actually thinking about applying for the role of son! I have 2 beautiful lil girls that would make awesome grandchildren!! One even has her own gun.

In all seriousness keep the ideas and pics coming!:ar15:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have made many new friends through INGO and can always use more! :)

Come to NFA Day or a pistol class that we host and you'll get to see the range.

I use the range and my stash of ammo to lure my grown son to spend time with me. If he wants to give up the role, are you interested in applying? :D

Well, I am 43, but for access to that range I would probably ACT like a kid anyway, lol.

I will certainly keep an eye out for the next event at your range!

I've been to your house. I would be happy to let you adopt me. :rockwoot:
    Hey! Me first!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Don't forget, lovemywoods also has a single 23-year-old daughter. . . . that shoots! (as seen in the INGO Fleece thread)

I may have the son role locked down, but we're always taking applications for son-in-law! :D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Don't forget, lovemywoods also has a single 23-year-old daughter. . . . that shoots! (as seen in the INGO Fleece thread)

I may have the son role locked down, but we're always taking applications for son-in-law! :D

Pretty sure Spasmo would object. Or would she...? :naughty:

Top Bottom