• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I want to put a light on my shotty, but it's a multipurpose gun so I do not want a forend with attached light. I'm going to try to make my own. I'm going to buy a sling swizel stud, and remove the swivel. Get a lock coller from work, with the diamter I need to fit the flashlight snugly. I'm going to weld the sling stud to the lock coller. That way I can easily take it off. I will post pics, and see how it holds up to firing when it's complete.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    How about a couple of scope rings attached end to end?

I love to see home brews, keep the picts coming. :yesway:

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    Flashlights aren't lasers

Just lay your light between the barrel and the magazine-tube, roughly aim your light downrange (center it up by shimming it with anything that won't scar the tubes) and wrap it up tight in some of that non-sticky wrap that clings to itself (CamoForm© sort of tape), and go for it. Does this work? Yes. Is it sexy? WHO cares? If anyone gripes, just shine the light in their eyes! Pat

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Oh for christ sake get a Nordic or a Viking (strange how similar the names are)

I use Nordic. A friend who is an internationally known trainer uses Viking. You decide. Tacticalshotgunner has the nordic clamp and Mesa as well. All are light weight, probably lighter than yours will be and ready to go now and will not fail.

Viking Tactics: Product List

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Sure he could spend the $60 or more and buy one but, I myself would rather spend ten bucks and some elbow grease and have something I would be proud of! Plus its something to do right?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Sure he could spend the $60 or more and buy one but, I myself would rather spend ten bucks and some elbow grease and have something I would be proud of! Plus its something to do right?

Agreed, I can get all the stuff at work. All I have to do is but the sling swivel stud. I just want to see how it comes out. If it does not work out, no real money lost. I like fabricating stuff!

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    I like the fabbing your own concoction idea. But wouldn't the threading need to be timed so the light is pointing in the correct direction when it is tight? Maybe I am not seeing this right... Just get it done and show us some pics. :popcorn:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I could point out some areas of serious consideration for you, but put upsome pics first if you like but sure go for it. I did in the 70's and even the 80's.

At the very least you can study their designs. You are less likely to fail if you follow their lead.

On a lighter note, not sure which part of your *** you are pulling $60 from? Cost of the light is a given. Look closer at MSRP for the Viking. If you want cheap go there. Nordic, hit TSG TacticalShotgunner.com

If you can't afford it, I will try to broker you a lower price. :cool:

In the end the main issue is a light is for saving your life and 12 gauge eats lights. Pride does not win a gun fight.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Agreed, I can get all the stuff at work. All I have to do is but the sling swivel stud. I just want to see how it comes out. If it does not work out, no real money lost. I like fabricating stuff!
    What light do you plan to use? Factor that in to your $10 cost, very few hold up to a 12 gauge. Very few.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I can recall guys just using scope mounts before specialized parts became available. I like DYI stuff, its fun and its old school. FYI, you might look at some cheap systems on Ebay, you can get mounts for lazers and lights for less than $20, if your mod doesn't work, you won't be out much.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    I could point out some areas of serious consideration for you, but put upsome pics first if you like but sure go for it. I did in the 70's and even the 80's.

At the very least you can study their designs. You are less likely to fail if you follow their lead.

On a lighter note, not sure which part of your *** you are pulling $60 from? Cost of the light is a given. Look closer at MSRP for the Viking. If you want cheap go there. Nordic, hit TSG TacticalShotgunner.com

In the end the main issue is a light is for saving your life and 12 gauge eats lights. Pride does not win a gun fight.

Actually I got that from the part of my *** where I went to the website that was posted prior to my posting and $60 was for the cheaper one so I was just going with what others have posted!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Actually I got that from the part of my *** where I went to the website that was posted prior to my posting and $60 was for the cheaper one so I was just going with what others have posted!
    Well, maybe before you give advice you might do some research. Hell maybe even do it yourself?

I have maybe $500 worth of parts in a few buckets from projects like this one 20 years ago and even more invested in mounts and lights today.

My advice is not from what I read on the internet.

If anyone thinks a light can be removed faster than a TLR1 (or similar light) from a rail, show me.

If you can make a lighter rig show me.

If you can make a more reliable rig show me. More than just a box of shells at the range.

If you do, I can get your idea financed and mass produced.

If your light is on and it fails, your night vision is hosed, your light is gone and your *** is grass. Advice is free, your life is worth more than $10, that is a fact.

If you are going to go cheap and relaible, just put a chunk of rail on the foregrip and mount your light to it.

Since specific gun and set up are not posted, I won't comment on other issues you can have.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I'm all for saving money and doing it yourself, but just get one of these:

Advanced Technology SMC1100 Shotgun Clamp w/Swivel Stud, Will Secure Extended Magazine Tube or 1 Flashlight / Firearm Accessories > Cleaning Products / Advanced Technology SMC1100 Advanced Technology SMC1100 Shotgun Clamp w/Swivel Stud, Will Secure E

Less than $7 and you're done! I've used the older metal verion of these fo rhte same deal for years. they work just fine!

Doug K
    The plastic ones don't stay on. Once when you and I shot together at FNS I used an ATI plastic mag clamp and like usual it flew right off early on. That was just a mag clamp with no additional weight of a light added to it and only using birdshot. The polymer clamps don't hold up, stay put or work for long under recoil.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Well I am not the one building it! Sorry if I am not an expert on this stuff never claimed to be! I just think it is cool when people fabricate things. No need to jump down my throat because you disagree!!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

It will take some expmerimenting. Pride has nothing to do with it. It gives me something to do, and if I dont like I can change the design. Just because I do not want to run out, and buy a 200+$ forend with atached light. It may completely fail, but I wont have a **** ton of money raped into the project anyways. One of the guys I work with made a flaslight holder out of UHMW, for a guys 12 guage. Said it held up just fine with a cheap flashlight.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Why would you want a "here I am, shoot me " light on your shotgun anyway?

If you ever have to clear your home, do you want to walk around in the dark? You need light to scan rooms. Or are you John Rambo and am going to rush in with M60 blazing. Guess Swat teams are stupid because they use weapon mounted lights.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    If you ever have to clear your home, do you want to walk around in the dark? You need light to scan rooms. Or are you John Rambo and am going to rush in with M60 blazing. Guess Swat teams are stupid because they use weapon mounted lights.

Plus my gun lights have these switch thingys on them that let me turn them off and on as needed. :D

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Oh for christ sake get a Nordic or a Viking (strange how similar the names are)

I use Nordic. A friend who is an internationally known trainer uses Viking. You decide. Tacticalshotgunner has the nordic clamp and Mesa as well. All are light weight, probably lighter than yours will be and ready to go now and will not fail.

Viking Tactics: Product List

No offense but with my experience. I'm very confident, I can build something better then that. It's not like I'm going to be adding 20 pounds.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    elijaharchiive
    Top Bottom