• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fangz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    North Side
    One size does not fit all here. What are your requirements? Where are you going? How many people are going?

Some people like SUV's, some like minivans, some like trucks, maybe even little econ-o-box to get the best millage.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    There have been more than a few threads on the topic in the past.That said I never have posted a picture of mine.

Here it is.M1009 former military blazer.6.2 mechanical diesel.22mpg and will run on quite a few different fuels.
    2qxuyr8.jpg

Big thanks to the ingo member Rocket.This thing would not be reliable if not for him.He also helped with the winch,hitch,and a few other modifications.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That M1009 looks great. It looks like the perfect blend of cargo/off road capability. I've been thinking about the M1009 or M1008 series vehicles. I had a Jeep that I thought would be great, but the small fuel tank and 12mpg gave me about a 150 mile range. Plus, it could not really carry anything except the 4 of us, so I sold it and am on the hunt now. I like the M1009 since it seems to fit what I need pretty well. For me, I am looking for something that will get into the woods if need be while carrying 4 adults and a fair amount of supplies while towing a small military style trailer.

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    Toyota Prius.... 400+ on a tank of gas. 6 gallon can gets me another 250 miles. If stuck in traffic, the engine cuts off, saving the fuel. The electrical system gives me lots of power for communications and other equipment.

EMP pulse... I'll be on the Schwinn....:thumbsup:

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Those military blazers have 3.07 gears in the axles. The axles themselves are not known to be very strong when pushed or when big tires are added to the mix. The rear limited slip diff is known to shatter under stress. They use a 208 transfer case with a slip yoke which also isn't known for its durability under stress. If you want something to be very reliable all those components would need to be upgraded and probably replaced

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Whatever it is make sure it has a common wheel/tire size cause there won't be any AAA.
    You probably want a bunch of spares and tire spoons etc. to execute repairs. The roads may
    be littered with who knows what by accident or intentionally. Spare parts, extra oil etc all take
    up space and have weight so plan ahead. As was said in earlier posts there's a lot of variables,
    Too many to list.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Toyota Prius.... 400+ on a tank of gas. 6 gallon can gets me another 250 miles. If stuck in traffic, the engine cuts off, saving the fuel. The electrical system gives me lots of power for communications and other equipment.

EMP pulse... I'll be on the Schwinn....:thumbsup:
    We have had two of those(Prius)a 2006 and a 2008.Ever tried to drive one in 1/4 inch of snow? With the super duper 8th computer controlling the traction it will not even move an inch if a wheel slips.It gets even worse if trying to go up a hill or crossing a small pile of snow at the edge of the drive way.

Great MPG,but a useless vehicle if you ask me.

Now if Ford would just release the 86mpg diesel cars in the USA like they have Europe...I would buy one in a heart beat.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    We have had two of those(Prius)a 2006 and a 2008.Ever tried to drive one in 1/4 inch of snow? With the super duper 8th computer controlling the traction it will not even move an inch if a wheel slips.It gets even worse if trying to go up a hill or crossing a small pile of snow at the edge of the drive way.

Great MPG,but a useless vehicle if you ask me.

Now if Ford would just release the 86mpg diesel cars in the USA like they have Europe...I would buy one in a heart beat.

Yikes, that's disappointing to hear. I just unloaded my Toyota Tundra Crew Max, which I absolutely loved, in order to go from 13mpg to over 40 with a new Prius v. I sure hope it does better than that on snow. :rolleyes:

INcountryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Liberty
    M1008

I have an M1008 that I plan to use as a bug out vehicle. I also have an M101 trailer that I can haul with it. In my opinion, diesel and multi-fuel is the only way to go when it comes to selecting a bug out vehicle. Only downside to the CUCV is the electrical system. It can be a royal pain in the ass.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have an M1008 that I plan to use as a bug out vehicle. I also have an M101 trailer that I can haul with it. In my opinion, diesel and multi-fuel is the only way to go when it comes to selecting a bug out vehicle. Only downside to the CUCV is the electrical system. It can be a royal pain in the ass.

I feel your pain.Hour/days spent looking for a bad ground.The final "cure" for my electrical problems(and it should have hit me days earlier)was to simply run a new ground from the driver side alternator to the frame.I have not had an electrical issue since.I did leave all other grounds intact(and cleaned).

I did end up using the 24V bus in the rear(formerly for military radios)for a 24V power inverter and love having the mobile 110V :)

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    picture.php
    I have Michelin all terrain tires on the Prius (Touring model with a better suspension) and have no problems with snow (work in South Bend area aka: snow country). Have not had any issues getting where I needed to.

Have also taken it to Tennessee to run the Tail of the Dragon. It handles fine on the side of the mountain running at speed with everyone else.
    picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have Michelin all terrain tires on the Prius (Touring model with a better suspension) and have no problems with snow (work in South Bend area aka: snow country). Have not had any issues getting where I needed to.

Have also taken it to Tennessee to run the Tail of the Dragon. It handles fine on the side of the mountain running at speed with everyone else.

I bet the tires make a big difference from the stock low rolling resistance ones.We where putting 2k+ miles on them per week and had the low rolling resistance tires.Also the traction control was an option on the 2006 model,I think it was standard on the 2008.Not sure if they still use that system currently,but it was bad on snow and even in light rain(with the stock tires).

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    The low rolling resistance tires were crap. I gave up about 2 miles per gallon with the better tires... Well worth the trade off.

Traction control is standard on mine. With good tires, it rarely is activated. Have modified mine to provide 120vac through an inverter. If not driving, a tank of gas will generate electricity for almost a week. 12v amateur radio equipment runs even longer.

I bet the tires make a big difference from the stock low rolling resistance ones.We where putting 2k+ miles on them per week and had the low rolling resistance tires.Also the traction control was an option on the 2006 model,I think it was standard on the 2008.Not sure if they still use that system currently,but it was bad on snow and even in light rain(with the stock tires).

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Those military blazers have 3.07 gears in the axles. The axles themselves are not known to be very strong when pushed or when big tires are added to the mix. The rear limited slip diff is known to shatter under stress. They use a 208 transfer case with a slip yoke which also isn't known for its durability under stress. If you want something to be very reliable all those components would need to be upgraded and probably replaced

Yep, 10 bolts are a joke. Fortunately, the D60/14 bolt from an M1008 is bolt-in minus moving the rear spring pads. They have 4.56s and a Detroit Locker in the rear. Fortunately the M1009s have TH400s, I believe. The NP208 really isn't a concern--the slip yoke is only a problem if you break the rear driveshaft.

Top Bottom