• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lobo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Just wanted to share my latest scattergun to join the family. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a shotgun for the house, so I picked up a Mossberg Maverick 88 for $210 brand new, and added some bells and whistles:

Maverick88.jpg

I picked up a TacStar sidesaddle shell holder, Choate youth stock and LaserLyte Tri-Rail mount for $135 from Midway USA, and added an old M3 light that I had lying around. Not a bad little home defense shotgun for less than $400! (A friend of mine gave me the M3 light, they can be found fairly cheap)

The Maverick 88 is basically a budget Mossberg 500, with the main difference being the location of the safety, on the trigger guard instead of the rear tang. The factory stock is a bit long for my tastes, as I like to get up close and personal with a defensive gun, and the Choate youth stock just really works for me. The shortened length of pull makes it easier to handle the gun, and the pistol grip allows a much better grip on the gun while firing and working the pump.

A few more bucks for a sling and a front night sight, and I'll be all set! Gotta put a TLR-1 light on it, too. The M3 pales next to the super-bright TLR-1.

:)

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Nice set up you got there. I agree that the Maverick 88's are of good quality and are really handy for home defense on a budget. A few years back I fired a friend's 88 that was all stock at a couple clay pigeons and it did alright if I do say so myself. :D

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Ive got one set up very similar, it is actually my favorite to shoot and use, even over my wingmaster and the 870 tactical magnum that I used to have. Its accurate with slugs up to 75 yds as well though I primarily run buckshot or steel shoot loads. The 6 rd tube is nice too

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Very nice, effective HD rig there Lobo! A heck of a comfort in case of unwanted visitors and fun to shoot in the meantime.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    Good basic gun. Economy model of the 500. I do not like the forearm assembly. You cannot change it due to the missing parts of the 500. The 870 is by far better quality, workmanship and reliability.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Nice looking boom stick ya got there Logo, I really dig shotguns for home defense work, 00 buck just makes me feel all warm & fuzzy inside for some odd reason.

goldie89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    I just recently bought one and took it to the range. Whooa i was in for a shock my first shotgun and first time shooting really kicks. I changed the stock and just put a pistol grip so i was in for a surprise. And those 00 do pack a punch, but where did you get the extra shell holders at?

Top Bottom