• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I don't know much about optics. I have a 308 with a lousy scope on it. I need to put a scope on it but the reality of it is I will never reach out much more than 100-150 yards. It will be my new deer rifle for a couple areas I could not hunt under former laws. I cannot afford to buy a high end scope. Is there a functional scope out there that can tolerate the recoil of a 308?

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I picked up several Bushnell XLT 3-9 scopes on sale coupled with a rebate from factory. Think they ended up being 75 bucks. They come with Butler creek flip caps. Make a dandy scope for what you need. They are intended for hunting. Never had any issues with Bushnell.

Other than that Redfield or Nikon are good although the price reflects that.

I know what you mean on how expensive optics can be. I can't see spending as much as the darn rifle costs on a scope.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'd hit up Alan who is AA in this thread and have him set you up with a vortex. You should be able to get something that's fits your needs easily.

Pinger5560

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Columbia City
    Scopes

I agree with Indiana hillbilly, I have a Vortex Diamondback 3x9x40 paid about what he stated, has the BDC retical, works great check out the pics, that blue square was at 9 power at 110 yards. The ones in the orange circle was remembering where my scopes point of aim was set. I could remember if I still had it setup for the Tulammo 55 grain .223 or my target ammo Federal 62 grain. This was the Tulammo. I still think this is impressive for bench shooting with bi-pod, the bench I shoot off of isn't really level.

View attachment 50400View attachment 50401

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    AA is said to have great customer service and specializes in Vortex, but if your budget is tighter than the approx. $150 or so that a decent Vortex costs, there are other budget scopes that will be acceptable for your purposes, namely the likes of Hawke and Bushnell, but there are some others.
    Just steer clear of Simmons, Tasco, BSA, and Barska.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    x2 on what oldpink said with one exception. I've had decent luck with the Simmons 44 Mag series, but confess to never having it on a 308. Guns show prices are about $120 new? and $80 used.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Years ago Don Lengel told me he was constantly sending back Simmons scopes for warranty work.
    Even the 44 mag (and those of 44 mag type sold under Thompson Center name).

The older Gold, Silver and Bronze medal stuff held up pretty decent.

Newer models, or newer production of older models? I dunno.
    Their lower end stuff of current production...........steer clear.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom