• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    The Eagle Creek Pistol Range rules say that shotguns with buckshot and birdshot are welcome.

Question 1: Does anyone actually do that?

Question 2: What do you shoot at? I assume it is frowned upon to tear up the wooden target stands with your shotgun spray.

Question 3: Do you get angry looks due to the noise?

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    Yes, people shoot shotguns at Eagle Creek all the time. In addition to birdshot and buckshot, slugs are also allowed. I haven't noticed anyone giving dirty looks at those shooting shotguns. Dirtly looks are reserved for those shooting .460 S&W and .500 S&W Mag.

When shooting birdshot or buckshot, you should replace the standard target with one of the shotgun only targets that the range staff keep behind the line. Just ask one of the staff for a shotgun target. The shotgun targets are essentially old, ratty, used up stakes and cardboard backing with a fresh paper target.

Using the shotgun targets helps to keep costs and, therefore prices, down.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    We have special (already torn up) target holders and special targets. No issues with shot at our range.

Naw, you won't get a bad look for shooting a scattergun. You will get a bad look from me if you call it a shottie :D :D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sure, I practice with shotguns at Iggle Crick. I mainly just do reloading drills as malf drills with the shotgun can look wierd to the ROs.:D

I just use bird shot for my manipulation drills. Never used buckshot or slugs at EC.

I leave the target stand (shotgun specific) up close as possible and just aim at the center as it is a negative target after one round.

Shotgun noise isn't that bad. It's a dull roar.

What pains me with my infected ear are the bottleneck cartridges, .357 SIG, 7.62x25, inter alia, shot right by the concrete block wall.

Last winter there was a gentleman shooting a Tok on the extreme right position and I was to his left. The sounds bounced off the wall and went right into my bum ear--man that smarted.:D

That's why I wear plugs and muffs now, until these steroid injections work their magic.:rockwoot:

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Shotgun noise isn't that bad. It's a dull roar.

What pains me with my infected ear are the bottleneck cartridges, .357 SIG, 7.62x25, inter alia, shot right by the concrete block wall.

My experience has been the same. Rifle fire and some pistols are much louder than a shotgun. I haven't had experience with any ported/braked firearms, though, so I can't compare the noise level of those.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Anyone care to direct me to a link that explains what is not allowed there? I've looked for rules on their website but have only found price schedules in pdf.

Example would be pistol caliber carbines allowed? It being a 'pistol range' no hi powered rifles? Leave the 91/30 at home, but I can bring my slugster?

I've never gone there, but might like to see what it's like. Thanks.

Top Bottom