• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heffe3434

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    NE Indianapolis
    Has anyone taken out the mag safety on their Hi Power? Did it make that much of a difference on the trigger? I also heard that some models won't allow you to remove it.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Makes a huge difference in most of the clones I have had. Only one problem with one clone was severe overtravel after performing the mod. But most folks have no issues.

If unsure, then just leave it in, polish the pad that contacts the mag, polish that contact point on the mag and keep your mags clean.

(Then some moron will blah blah blah about liability and civil court and other crap that has no bearing in Indiana and most other more common sense states) :D

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I pull the magazine disconnect (they aren't a "safety" and I refuse to think of it as such) on a 9mm Hi Power that I had. Yes it helped the trigger pull. The trick is to replace the trigger return spring with a Wolfe extra power spring.

My current Hi Power still has the disconnect in place. I have tossed around the idea of starting to shoot matches again and thinking that since the gun is chambered in .40S&W it would make a good limited 10 pistol. If I were to go that route I would probably pull the magazine disconnect out. Makes it a lot easier to show clear and drop the hammer.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I have taken them out on every hi-power I have built up. It does make a difference in the trigger pull and +1 to the earlier advice of replacing with a Wolff extra power trigger spring.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I pull the magazine disconnect (they aren't a "safety" and I refuse to think of it as such) on a 9mm Hi Power that I had. Yes it helped the trigger pull. The trick is to replace the trigger return spring with a Wolfe extra power spring.

My current Hi Power still has the disconnect in place. I have tossed around the idea of starting to shoot matches again and thinking that since the gun is chambered in .40S&W it would make a good limited 10 pistol. If I were to go that route I would probably pull the magazine disconnect out. Makes it a lot easier to show clear and drop the hammer.

And as the current owner of that HiPower I will say that the trigger is sweeet!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    And as the current owner of that HiPower I will say that the trigger is sweeet!

:yesway: I can't take all the credit for that. I did pull the may disconnect and replace the trigger return spring. A local gun smith in Aberdeen, SD did a trigger job. Basically smoothed everything up. I should do the same thing to the hi power you traded to me.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Yup...pulled mine out and WOW what a difference...all the "grit" that was hardly there, went away...cleaner break than my Colt now.

God bless
    -Shred

heffe3434

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    NE Indianapolis
    Thanks for the advise. I've decided to take it out. One question about removing it though. I have researched it and found two way to do it...... one taking the trigger out and the other not. Which would you recommend?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    It was several years last time I did it. I did not remove the trigger. Doing it again I think I might. Then you can clean up the trigger.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I pulled my trigger out...just felt more comfortable doing it that way...less chance of scratches and lost parts....more room to work.

God bless
    -Shred

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've always removed the trigger but the trigger pin can sometimes be a B to get out. Also I can't remember but there may be a specific direction to drive the pin it's been awhile.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well I went and did it tonight. Pulled the mag disconnect on my Practical. forget what I typed earlier about not pulling the trigger completely out last time I did this, because I replaced the trigger return spring that time and I don't see any way I could have done that without removing the trigger. This time I was lazy and did not order the new trigger spring (Shipping would cost more then the part!). Instead I pulled the mag safety out and clipped the little spring that pushes the plunger out to engage the mag. Left just enough of the spring hanging out to keep the plunger from moving freely. This effectively deactivates the disconnect, plus when the mag is in it will still put some pressure on the plunger so that the little vertical arm moves back. Another bonus is that the gun appears unmodified to the casual observer.

The process was easy.
    1) Field strip the gun
    2) remove grips and mag release
    3) punch out the pin in the trigger (put a .40 snap cap behind the trigger)
    4) punch out the pin that holds in the trigger
    5) take everything apart
    6) clip the spring inside the trigger that pushes the plunger out
    7) Reassemble the trigger parts and replace pin in trigger
    8) put trigger back in gun and replace trigger pin.
    9) put grips and mag release back on gun and reassemble

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I've always removed the trigger but the trigger pin can sometimes be a B to get out. Also I can't remember but there may be a specific direction to drive the pin it's been awhile.

I drove the pin out from right to left. Basically the little knob (trigger pin sticking out) that I index with my trigger finger is what I put the punch on. Then I put it back together left to right.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I have done it both ways on my FEG copy/clone.
    IMHO NOT pulling the trigger assembly out is easier.
    The whole thing tended to fall apart while trying to reinsert the trigger housing pin.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have done it both ways on my FEG copy/clone.
    IMHO NOT pulling the trigger assembly out is easier.
    The whole thing tended to fall apart while trying to reinsert the trigger housing pin.
    Mine would not pop out without pulling the trigger. Some the plunger just comes right out.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    A dab of heavy bearing grease holds everything together quite nicely....vaseline or hot glue also work...

Hot glue breaks off easily with the action..just make sure you get it out of the gun before puting it into service.

God bless
    -Shred

Top Bottom