Bringing my Grandpa's guns from Ohio to Indiana. . .

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • salamander42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have no idea if a situation like this has been covered before. . . I can't even really think of how to effectively search for a similar thread. . .

My Grandfather passed away about 2 years ago, and I was wondering what I would need to do to legally bring a couple of his guns home with me. He lived in Ohio, and I'm a 10 year resident of Indiana. I do have my LTCH, if that makes any difference. The guns are legally my Grandma's, I suppose, since they weren't specifically mentioned in a will or anything as far as I know. I don't even know what all he still had in his safe. . . While I'm really curious abut it, it just hasn't been a high priority on the few visits that I've been able to make these last couple of years. Could I just bring them home with me, or do I need to send them to a FFL here in Indiana? Does my grandma need to do anything? I'll be visiting over Christmas weekend, and if nothing else, I'm going to see if we can open up the safe and see what's in there. I'm hoping to be able to bring something home with me.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    *Technically* they are out of state and need to be transfered through an FFL on a 4473. You can go get them, take them to the FFL of your choice in either IN or OH and do the transfer, but I would use an IN FFL just for the ease of it.

The only thing Im unsure of is if your grandma needs to be present. If she does then an OH FFL might be easier.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Dang gone, I am no lawyer, don't even have one in the family! But, if it were me, I would put them in gun cases, empty of course, if possible, leave actions open inside the cases. Don't transport any ammo with the guns, make that a seperate trip. Drive the speed limit, come home, unwrap, let them warm up, wipe down with some Rem oil, put in your safe. Those would be my actions if they were my grandpa's and my grandma said I could have them.
    I have opened my mouth, I guess I'll see what kind of storm this creates.
    Oh, I forgot to add, double check your license plate and registration and make sure it is up to date, all lights work on your vehicle, and don't drive paranoid, just drive within the legal limits and go home. If in a pickup, would have them in a locked tool box or behind the seat. Not hiding per se, just keeping things kosher.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Dang gone, I am no lawyer, don't even have one in the family! But, if it were me, I would put them in gun cases, empty of course, if possible, leave actions open inside the cases. Don't transport any ammo with the guns, make that a seperate trip. Drive the speed limit, come home, unwrap, let them warm up, wipe down with some Rem oil, put in your safe. Those would be my actions if they were my grandpa's and my grandma said I could have them.
    I have opened my mouth, I guess I'll see what kind of storm this creates.
    Oh, I forgot to add, double check your license plate and registration and make sure it is up to date, all lights work on your vehicle, and don't drive paranoid, just drive within the legal limits and go home. If in a pickup, would have them in a locked tool box or behind the seat. Not hiding per se, just keeping things kosher.

Yeah, you're going to take some heat. But I would probably do the same thing.

Once they're are in the state, what proof does anyone have that you were not already carrying them?

Don't get in a big wreck... ;)

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    hypothetically

even if you got pulled over or questioned about them how would any one know they arnt already yours? unless you told them they weren't, not like there is a national registration.

do you currently drive around with a recipt for every gun in your car to prove you bought it in indiana?

just sayin....;)

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm with Farmerjon, on this. Once your grandmother gifts you these guns they are yours and you are free to transport them interstate using the applicable laws. I don't see how an FFL even needs to be remotely involved. You're being given a gift (legal) and that gift will be yours. I've been gifted firearms in one state and transported them to another and can't see where I ever broke any law that I've read on the subject. Get your guns and have a safe trip there and home. Just transport them in the prescribed manner and you'll be OK.

Edit to add: If you really want to cross all the T's you could go the FFL route, shipping them to yourself here.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I go to the Ohio Gun collectors show every year now. A few years ago they started to make rifle purchases go thru a FFL. Handguns were always a FFL transfir. Long guns were not. I thought that neighboring states were OK at one time but that has seemed to change. I did purchase a 22 in Ohio from a private individual once and never even though about anything on paperwork. This was maybe in 1991.

What changed about nieghboring states in the law in the last few years anyone know. If they no longer allow it at the OGC show it must be law.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Sorry to hear about your grandfather passing.

The one question is why are you getting the firearms? Too bad your Grandfather had not given you the firearms a dozen years ago while you lived in Ohio, then there would not be any issue.

Short term you are allowed to borrow long guns for hunting, storage etc. Long term by the letter of the law need to have whom ever received the residuals (or executor of the will if still in process) transfer them to you through a FFL in your home state (i.e. either ship them to an Indiana FFL or show up in person ... assuming you can find a FFL that will deal with the paper work).

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IIRC, I believe if they were actually willed to you or something else you can bring them across state-lines without an FFL transfer, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyways, I think the thread has pretty much run it's course, you either need to transfer them, or slipping them in under the radar would be a possibility.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm in the 'just bring em home' camp. If your grandmother gives them to you, then just load them up and come home. If these had been your guns that you used to keep at your grandmothers so you and your grandfather could go shooting once in a while, you'd be totally legal in just bringing them home. I think the laws are in place to prevent interstate trafficking of commercial sales, not to prevent a grandfather's collection from being passed down to a heir. As long as you are legally able to own firearms, I think your Ok just bringing them home. BTW, IANAL.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    some info on the guns would be nice?? what kind??? You know just to see....

Along those lines, they aren't NFA firearms are they? (machine gun, shirt barreled rifle, silencer) because if so you Definitely can't just bring them home and you would need more advice than I can give.

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    no one ever need to know . my dad passed his on to me , never even thought it was anybody's business but my own . big brother might be watching , but I'll bet he can't see in the trunk of your car . take them home and enjoy them . Don't even take pictures of them for us to see.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I think we're all making this far too difficult.
    IC 35-47-5-6
    Purchasing or obtaining a rifle or shotgun
    Sec. 6. (a) Any resident of Indiana:
    (1) who is eighteen (18) years of age or older; and
    (2) who is not prohibited by law from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm;
    may purchase or obtain a rifle or shotgun in Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, or Illinois.
    (b) Any resident of Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, or Illinois:
    (1) who is eighteen (18) years of age or older; and
    (2) who is not prohibited by the laws of Indiana, his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm;
    may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun, or ammunition for a rifle or a shotgun in Indiana.
    (c) Any transaction under this section is subject to the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (82 Stat. 1213, 18 U.S.C. 0.922(B)(3)).
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

If Grandma gives them to you and they are long guns, just bring them home. I don't think they even need to be specially cased, actions open, or anything like that, but don't quote me on that part.

If they are handguns, I think by the letter of the law, they must transfer through a FFL.

HTH!

Bill

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am no lawyer. I do not know any lawyers. I have not stayed at a Holiday Inn in years. But, I fall into the put em in the trunk and drive home camp. How will anybody know they are not yours. Enjoy the history and the memories. Pass them on to your kids.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    (c) Any transaction under this section is subject to the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968

^That's the sticky wicket.^

If you were named heir in Grandpa's will, go get them and bring them home.

If not, they are Grandma's and since they are going across state lines it's now an interstate transfer and goes on Form 4473.

Now, if Grandma lists them in her will...

DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    I agree with Farmerjon, I would simply bring them home, obey the speed limit, wipe them down with oil and put them away. Rather simple. Sometimes questions can cause alot of uneeded grief.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Ohio state police

OSP told me once pistols come over into Ohio from Indiana they have to be cleared of ammo and placed where you have no access, Trunk, box in back seat,etc. He also told me this applies to rifles too, Keep them in a case, unloaded, in trunk, till you leave Ohio.

I know nothing about, purchasing pistols in Ohio and bringing them here?

:twocents:Indyk

Last edited:
    Top Bottom