• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I like flashlights but I am admittedly no Rhino. Let's say I was looking for a new, super bright light to use for work, what are my options? I currently use Surefire Peacekeeper but may want something brighter.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'm pretty fond of my Magcharger with a Malkoff drop in conversion. Particularly well suited to your line of work, if not a bit old school.

Malkoff MagCharger Dropin ? Malkoff Devices

I currently have the Terra Lux conversion in my Mag Charger but it is poorly designed and did not hold up to my continuous use. I had to stop using it due to it being broken, even after repairing it a couple times. I did not know about the Malkoff unit. That may be just the ticket. I keep the Mag in my car and use it on traffic stops but do not regularly carry it into runs.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I like flashlights but I am admittedly no Rhino. Let's say I was looking for a new, super bright light to use for work, what are my options? I currently use Surefire Peacekeeper but may want something brighter.

Words Matter
    No, no, no. We don't call them "flashlights"! They are "Tactical Illuminators". Our wives/girlfriends/significant others would consider us fools to spend hundreds of dollars on a flashlight. But, if it's a tactical illuminator, then the sky's the limit! :)

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I'm pretty fond of my Magcharger with a Malkoff drop in conversion. Particularly well suited to your line of work, if not a bit old school.

Malkoff MagCharger Dropin ? Malkoff Devices

That's cool. I have more than one Mag sitting on the closet shelf because high-lumen led lights have spoiled me. But the high cost of the > 320 lumen lights have kept me from pulling the trigger on one.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Words Matter
    No, no, no. We don't call them "flashlights"! They are "Tactical Illuminators". Our wives/girlfriends/significant others would consider us fools to spend hundreds of dollars on a flashlight. But, if it's a tactical illuminator, then the sky's the limit! :)

Good point. That will even help me justify the purchase of the next one.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I quite like my Elzetta Charlie. It has become my go-to light for almost everything, more for the color of the light than even the brightness. I keep some Streamlight backups, and while I still like them and they work well, I hate it when the batteries die on the Elzetta and I have to use one. It's like going from daylight to The Blair Witch Project.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    A flashlight for work and a flashlight for tactical use are complete opposites.

For work a light cannot be too bright or have too hot of a spot or else it will reflect back and partial blind you. I do electrical work and a floody 60-100 lumen light will cover most all basis. I tried my 350 lumen tact light at work once...flashed that sucker inside an electrical panel and BAM I couldnt see squat. Nowadays I use a 18 lumen Rayovac penlight using two AAA batteries. It has a runtime of over 24 hours tested by me. It is a true flood light with no hot spot and it does everything I need for work.

As for what light you want for work. What type of work do you do? If you do search and rescue than a 1000 lumen flashlight using four 18650s will have high output and long runtime. If you work on electrical boards and microchips than you don't need a blinding flashlight to light up the sky.

For tactical use you want a blinding hot spot and at least 100 lumens...that will blind a perp.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I also carry the Surefire Peacekeeper daily, and I can't imagine needing anything more intense.
    Hard to argue with the ruggedness and build quality, too.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I find myself sometimes wishing the Surefire had a tighter beam and longer throw. A few more lumens would be nice as well.

Got it.
    I carry mine for work as just a security officer, but your requirements are more likely to be more rigorous for sure.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Rayz 1000 lumens led with flood and spot. High beam 1000 low beam 505 lumens with a 210m beam distance and a run time of 400m on high and 650 m on low. Uses 9 AA batteries, I use Duracell rechargeable,works great in my service job and not a bad price of 49.99$ normal price but I buy several when on sale for 19.99. These nightstand be found at true value website

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I just ordered a Fenix PD35 from thre led warehouse here on INGO. 960 lumens out of a fairly compact light. I haven't got it yet since I just ordered late Saturday night but I liked the specs and the reviews were good that I read. I like that it has 4 brightness settings and remembers the one you used last. Lifetime warranty is nice too.

Top Bottom