• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I use it quite a bit as well; good stuff. It has a different smell than it did in the 80's, at least different from the stuff the Army gave me. I keep some in my range bag, but I also use all sorts of other things as well... Hoppesw, Kroil, Sweets, etc...

Enjoy your Mosin; I have a lot of fun with mine!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    That is great stuff. I use Hoppes 9 spiked with a bit of ammonia and after cleaning the barrel, I then use a patch that I soak with CLP. It never fails to amaze me how much more black stuff comes out with that patch!!! GREAT STUFF!!!

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I use it quite a bit as well; good stuff. It has a different smell than it did in the 80's, at least different from the stuff the Army gave me. I keep some in my range bag, but I also use all sorts of other things as well... Hoppesw, Kroil, Sweets, etc...

I've always wondered if the military's CLP is the same stuff as the commercial Break Free.

Anyone know?

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I pretty much exclusivly use CLP for cleaning and protectant. It's what I grew up using and I love it.

I will use some standard oil/grease where needed, but I suppose you could just use the CLP for cleaning and lube!

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Break Free is the name of the company. Break Free CLP is the name of the product. There is also a LP that does not contain cleaners, powder blast and Carbon Cutter. As far as I know, there is no product known as just Break Free.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Break Free is the name of the company. Break Free CLP is the name of the product. There is also a LP that does not contain cleaners, powder blast and Carbon Cutter. As far as I know, there is no product known as just Break Free.

So, is the commercial Break Free CLP the same as the military "CLP?"

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Recent Break Free convert here. Guy I trust says it is good stuff for the AR and other autos. I still like Hoppee for my rimfires. I just like the smell of No 9.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    :welcome: to the late '80s guys..... just kidding, but yes we used CLP back in the '80s on the M16A2s after a very hot water bath.

I bought a few gallon jugs when a shop closed years ago and I still have plenty left.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    :welcome: to the late '80s guys..... just kidding, but yes we used CLP back in the '80s on the M16A2s after a very hot water bath.

I bought a few gallon jugs when a shop closed years ago and I still have plenty left.

I actually used Break Free almost exclusively in the late 80's, but then there was a period where I couldn't find it anywhere, in any size or type package, so I went back to Hoppes for cleaning, and started using Rem Oil as lube.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN

This.

The LP is a touch thicker in consistency and sans cleaners.

From what some goon told me, CLP actually has a low power copper cleaner in it. I left a rifle bore with some CLP in it for a few weeks and the patches came out blue (instead of the "clean" when I initially cleaned the rifle).

My only grip with CLP is the eye stinging and burning smoke from when it is fired through an AR. Yuck, but it goes away after a while. :D

Top Bottom