• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Horrible story, especially for those that had to witness it first hand. I know we'll get the usual "how did the parents let this happen?" comments, but I can assure you that when a 16yr kid wants something they usually resourceful enough to get it. I found a way to get into a gun safe when I was 16.

Prayers for the family, just horrible.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Getting into a safe is not the issue. When my daughter was 14 she had full access to every firearm we owned. The difference is that she was and still is smart enough to know you never point a firearm at something unless you intend to shoot it!

While I feel sorry for the friends and family, the boy put the pistol to his head and pulled the trigger. That is wrong on so many points I don't know where to start, and won't.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    "How did the parents let this happen" should be more like "why didn't the parents train the kid so it wouldn't". My son's 15, I've had him through hunter education and the lot. He can put his hand to something or other at any time, just in case he would need to, but he's too level headed to do something like that without cause. Take away the fascination, the taboo. My mom sat me down when I was a kid and made me play with matches. Don't know that I would've burned the house down if she hadn't, but I didn't anyway.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    From the article:

...At some point, the magazine was placed in the weapon, and taken back out, which activated the weapon.
    "For whatever reason, he put it to his head, pulled the trigger and the gun went off," Heaton said...

Activated the weapon? Really?

I understand the ultimate tragedy of this negligence but they could at least attempt to report in such a way that might help to prevent future instances rather than shroud it in mystical accidental voodoo magic.

How about:

...At some point, the magazine was placed in the weapon, and a live round was then manually chambered by charging the slide. "In a simultaneous violation of every known firearm safety rule, he put it to his head, pulled the trigger and the gun fired precisely as it was designed to do," Heaton said...

Prayers for the family.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Getting into a safe is not the issue. When my daughter was 14 she had full access to every firearm we owned. The difference is that she was and still is smart enough to know you never point a firearm at something unless you intend to shoot it!

While I feel sorry for the friends and family, the boy put the pistol to his head and pulled the trigger. That is wrong on so many points I don't know where to start, and won't.

True!

"How did the parents let this happen" should be more like "why didn't the parents train the kid so it wouldn't". My son's 15, I've had him through hunter education and the lot. He can put his hand to something or other at any time, just in case he would need to, but he's too level headed to do something like that without cause. Take away the fascination, the taboo. My mom sat me down when I was a kid and made me play with matches. Don't know that I would've burned the house down if she hadn't, but I didn't anyway.

And True!

I should have mentioned those same sentiments. Education could have played a big factor. Hell, he could have been educated, but we all know when your 16, clearly, you know everything and your invincible. Just like the OP stated probably showing off. Sad what happened, but there is a silver lining, I bet this sends a huge message to all the young people that knew him.

Swim404

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    ATL
    I am friends with his relatives and I know they appreciate all the prayers they can get to help them through this. I cant even imagine :(

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    For whatever reason, he put it to his head, pulled the trigger and the gun went off," Heaton said

He was 16, not 5. IMO, he's old enough to be a Darwin award winner. I'm not sorry about his stupidity, but I will send prayers for his family.

+1 to ATM's quote about the gun being "activated."

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

I grew up in a house full of guns, and not one of them was locked up. My father took me deer hunting every fall as long as I can remember. Seeing my old man covered in blood, dressing a deer made me well aware of what a firearm was capable of, and I've played it safe ever since. I'm a firm believer that education is far more effective than prohibition.

God be with his family. What a tragedy, and so easily could have been avoided.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    ^^^This^^^^

I grew up hunting. I had an a extremely realistic and fresh knowledge of what happened when a gun got pointed at things. That, combined with a decent firearms education stopped me from doing all manner of stupidity - and I had full access to the firearms.

For the record, of my kids, one has taken an active interest in firearms, the others to a lesser degree. All have the same education - but I keep things more locked up than my dad did. Still, if they wanted access, I'm sure the older ones could find a way. They don't - because education and familiarity trumps curiousity and ignorance.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I grew up in a house full of guns, and not one of them was locked up. My father took me deer hunting every fall as long as I can remember. Seeing my old man covered in blood, dressing a deer made me well aware of what a firearm was capable of, and I've played it safe ever since. I'm a firm believer that education is far more effective than prohibition.

God be with his family. What a tragedy, and so easily could have been avoided.

^^^This^^^^

because education and familiarity trumps curiousity and ignorance.

BINGO!

My entire childhood I had access to at least 20 rifles and shotguns(with ammo nearby) and I never messed with any of them, because I knew the dangers of what could happen...Plus, they're pretty boring when my Dad wasn't around, because I knew I wasn't going to get to shoot them, so why would I bother?:):

My one and only is 6 and he could not care less if I leave my EDC on the table(in it's holster). Even as young as he is, he knows the dangers and would never even think about touching a firearm while I'm not around(I've unloaded firearms "unattended" and tested him before without him knowing).

Education, education, education.

With that being said, 16 is WAY too freaking old to be pointing a gun at your head, regardless of your firearm's knowledge.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Sad and tragic indeed. Training and familiarity for all who live under the roof should be SOP, and should be common sense, but so many neglect do so.

Take this to heart, everyone with children. Please train and educate your family now.

Top Bottom