• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunlvr1956

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I know we have discussed this before, and I bought a 5# tumbler from Harbor Freight plus their fine walnut tumbling media. So I've added some nu finish to the media and tumbled some range pickup .223 brass. It seems to clean up, but im not getting the bright shine I like to see. I also have a RCBS sidewinder with same results. Any suggestions, Thx in Advance.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I have quick and related question. Does highly polished brass function and cycle better than well cleaned brass? Does it reload any easier? I like my ammo to be bright and shiny, but is there any advantage other than cosmetic to be gained from the extra effort?

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have quick and related question. Does highly polished brass function and cycle better than well cleaned brass? Does it reload any easier? I like my ammo to be bright and shiny, but is there any advantage other than cosmetic to be gained from the extra effort?

The simple answer is No. a 2hr tumple will yield the same results on paper as an 8hr tumble.

The main reason to tumble is to remove any large pieces of accumulated gri from teh ooutside and inside of the case. You want as much unburned or clumpped up debris out of the case so that it will not effectthe weight and density ofthe charge in teh case. 2hrs of tumbling will by all means get this out. The outside of the case just get a minor abrasive cleaning in 2hrs. Again, more than enough to remove any lube or debris taht

a) could wreck your dies
    b) cause feeding issues

8hr tumbles make teh brass even shinnier by cleaning deeper. But again, it wont effect anything other than looks.

That is unless you are a crazy bench rest rifle shooter. Those guys even WASH their brass.

Sorry for a long winded answer, hope it helped.

And PS..... I've been in a pinch a few times and never even tumbled teh brass. Just shot, blew on the inside and ran through my loader.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I would think the more you polish the less reloads you would get from your brass. I don't care if it looks new, as long as it works.

Not true.

The polish does not stress the brass, thus does not decrease life. Your load pressure is teh biggest determining factor of brass life.

Dies, human error and defective brass make up the rest.

This would be like saying washing your car reduces it's paint job's life. If you do it wrong yes, otherwise no.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I must be in a good mood today, this was teh original analogy i wanted to use but tought it was to harsh... upon further mental review.. I had to say it..

That's like washing your ass in the bath tub, if you use a wash cloth you'll be fine for years to come. Scrub with a Brillo pad and you'll have problems after the 1st time!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I agree that, technically speaking, polishing brass to a high luster is of no benefit. Highly polished brass is easier to see in the grass. It also makes me feel good. I have pride in my workmanship.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Not true.

The polish does not stress the brass, thus does not decrease life. Your load pressure is teh biggest determining factor of brass life.

Dies, human error and defective brass make up the rest.

This would be like saying washing your car reduces it's paint job's life. If you do it wrong yes, otherwise no.

I cannot imagine tumbling metal inside of an abrasive compound doesn't take a small amount of material away. I am not an expert but it seems like common sense to me. That said, the neck may split or other problems arise long before that process affects the brass life, I will give you that.
    By the way, I don't wash my car with sandblasting material...

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Walnut hulls are very abrasive and will not give you a shine.
    Clean with straight walnut, no polish for 1 to 1.5 hour, then polish in corn cob -w- polish for .5 to 1 hour for a high shine.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Adressed to the issue of polishing brass and the effects on reloading: Polished brass is easier on ones reloading dies. Polished brass may have an advers effect on accuracy. David Tubb (a notable competitive shooter) comments that un polished brass seems to "grab" the chamber walls upon firing to maintain a consistant position in the chamber thus enhancing accuracy. If I could shoot as well as Mr Tubb, I could comment on this issue. Good shooting!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I was reading on another forum recently that before tumblers, the cleaner of choice was koolaid. As reported, it's a mild acid and does a nice job of cleaning, and sugared or not makes no difference. There is sometimes a discoloration that is unremoved, but it doesn't affect accuracy. BE Mike, I can appreciate pride in work and workmanship. I would say that given a choice between form and function, I would choose the latter every time. It seems, however, that given a choice of one or the other, you are choosing both, and I can't exactly fault that either.

This is a slight threadjack from the OP, but I thought it might be of benefit to our members here who reload.

Blessings,
    Bill

one shot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Try 20/40 grit corn cob media (not pet bedding either get media) and treat with a little nufinish. With the corn cob an hour or two at the most produces some really high polished brass. Also fill your tumbler with brass and media, no matter which media you use filling the tumbler completely will make it more effective. And if you throw a used dryer sheet or some strips of paper towels in it will cut down on the dust and keep your media cleaner longer.

Top Bottom