• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Marion County Fish and Game's Bowling Pin Match will be this Saturday, July 28th at 9 AM. Setup will begin at 8:15 AM and we would appreciate the help of a few volunteers. The Safety Meeting (required for new shooters) will be at 8:45 AM to explain the rules. At 9:00 AM, we will begin shooting.

If there is severe weather, the match may need to be canceled. I will try to send an e-mail and post an announcement in the Shooting Sports section of INGunOwners - Indiana Gun Owners Community by 7:00 AM if it is obvious the weather isn’t going to cooperate.

The cost is $3 per bracket for club members and $4 per bracket for non-members. All money goes toward the club and/or making the competition better. Youth (under the age of 18) shoot free with a paid adult.

Bowling Pin Shooting is conducted under a COLD RANGE. That means all guns must be holstered (or bagged) at all times, unloaded, hammer down, with no magazine inserted. You may only handle your gun at the direction of a range officer (RO), or at the designated "safe table". Violation of this or any other safety rules shall result in a match disqualification.

If you have any questions about the match, please read the rules posted at: MCFG - Indy Range Official Website - Shotgun, Pistol, Shooting Range (look under "Programs and Events" > "Bowling Pins") If you are unable to find an answer posted in the rule, please feel free to email me.

If you are interested in shooting Pin Heads, bring your .22 LR's (pistol or rifle). Also remember you can shoot your BUGs (Backup Guns). The class is limited to .38SPL snub nose revolvers and .380’s pocket pistols loaded with 5 rounds. 3 pins are set on the table at the minor position and the pins must leave the table just like regular brackets. The challenge is both in the shooting and the reloading of your weapon.

If you are willing to help as an RO or help keep score, that would be greatly appreciated.

Hope to see you on Saturday.

~John

BowlingPinShooting@gmail.com

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Arghh! Been unable to attend this for a couple times in a row now, and unfortunately won't make this one either :(

If you haven't given this a go, you really ought to try it. It's every bit as fun as FNS; just a little different.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I miss the texas star match!

If you were at the Texas Star match we did last winter, I'm curious what your thoughts are about doing another. I heard both positive and negative feedback.

For those who weren't there, we had two Texas Stars which we shot head to head like we do for bowling pins. The most common negative comment was that because we only had two stars the wait time between being called to the line to shoot was quite long.

Thoughts?

Don Parks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    I really enjoyed the star match. I would like to see falling cross plates to decide who advances to the next string when it's close

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I thought it was a match that had a lot of promise, and likely much more interest that Bowling Pins. As much as I like Bowling Pins, it might be nice to do the Star match every other match or so. I know the Bowling Pin program doesn't have a bunch of money kicking around to buy 2 more Texas Stars, but let's talk to Anton and see if there is any way we could utilize some of the FNS steel or get another plate rack so that you could run 2 bays at once.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks John for another safe and fun Pin match. Its been to long since I have been to pins. Thanks to whoever brought the dueling tree. That was different and fun.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I thought it was a match that had a lot of promise, and likely much more interest that Bowling Pins. As much as I like Bowling Pins, it might be nice to do the Star match every other match or so. I know the Bowling Pin program doesn't have a bunch of money kicking around to buy 2 more Texas Stars, but let's talk to Anton and see if there is any way we could utilize some of the FNS steel or get another plate rack so that you could run 2 bays at once.

It is my opinion that the star match should not replace the pin match during the warmer months. In the winter, when we can't shoot pins do to the cold (they just explode) a star match makes a lot more sense.

Maybe there could be a star match at a different date/time then the pin match, that way we could have both?

RAP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    New Whiteland
    Dueling Tree

Shooting the tree was AWESOME! Especially when you only have two mags with 8 rds in them. It's fast and head to head what could be better?:rockwoot:

rlw9337

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    I really enjoyed the last star match I shot.
    The cross over plate will really put revolver shooters at a disadvantage.
    Shooting stars in the winter will also match when the attendance is less.
    Dueling racks with 2 8 round mags - again revolvers do not fit this game. Dueling racks also do not have the requirement for significant power factor.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I really enjoyed the last star match I shot.
    The cross over plate will really put revolver shooters at a disadvantage.
    Shooting stars in the winter will also match when the attendance is less.
    Dueling racks with 2 8 round mags - again revolvers do not fit this game. Dueling racks also do not have the requirement for significant power factor.

I've been a Match Director for this match and for other matches. It's really tough to make all the matches perfectly equal for revolvers, especially since there are 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10 shot revolvers available.

I'd love to see the new steel match flourish in combination with the bowling pin match (maybe every other month). Granted the two games are different, but I think the new head to head star / plate rack competition has the potential to draw more people.

Top Bottom