• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Marion County Fish and Game's Bowling Pin Match will be this Saturday, Jan. 28th at 1 PM. Setup will begin at 12:15 PM and we would appreciate the help of a few volunteers. The Safety Meeting (required for new shooters and recommended for everyone this month) will be at 12:45 PM to explain the rules. At 1:00 PM, we will begin shooting.

If we have normal winter temperatures on Saturday, we will be shooting Texas Stars instead of bowling pins. The club has two of these now, so we will be able to shoot head to head like a normal match. No magnum calibers (.357 or .44 mag, etc.). If we have exceptionally warm weather and the ground isn’t too muddy, I suppose there is a possibility we could shoot bowling pins. So if there is any doubt, come prepared to shoot both.

The cost is $3 per bracket for club members and $4 per bracket for non-members. All money goes toward the club and/or making the competition better. Youth (under the age of 18) shoot free with a paid adult.

If the weather or roads looks really unpleasant, the match may need to be canceled. I will try to send an e-mail and post an announcement in the Shooting Sports section of INGunOwners - Indiana Gun Owners Community by 11:00 AM if it is obvious the weather isn’t going to cooperate.

Bowling Pin Shooting is conducted under a COLD RANGE. That means all guns must be holstered (or bagged) at all times, unloaded, hammer down, with no magazine inserted. You may only handle your gun at the direction of a range officer (RO), or at the designated "safe table". Violation of this or any other safety rules shall result in a match disqualification.

If you have any questions about the match, please read the rules posted at: MCFG - Indy Range Official Website - Shotgun, Pistol, Shooting Range (look under "Programs and Events" > "Bowling Pins") If you are unable to find an answer posted in the rule, please feel free to email me. Be advised the start times listed in the rules are out of date.

If you are willing to help as an RO or help keep score, that would be greatly appreciated.

If you want receive e-mail reminders about upcoming matches or to be notified in event of a match cancelation, please drop me an e-mail.

Hope to see you on Saturday.

~John

BowlingPinShooting@gmail.com

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I am all set to be there. The only thing that could change that is the weather, but forecast says low 40's and partly cloudy, so i think we are good.

Can't wait to see you all there.

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    I'm planning on coming. I'll be honest, I have no idea of how this will shake down because I've never been to a shoot like this. But it sounds like some fun shooting the stars.

I should have a +1 as well! :ar15:

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you are unfamiliar with TX Stars, here's a video posted by the manufacturer of the two that MCF&G own.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlZxgXmGU5c&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Bummer no Open Division :(

I've been giving some thought to the issue of people wanting to shoot a pistol with optics. The problem is that we can't add a plate to a TX Star the way we add a pin during a regular match to "level the playing field" when two competitors have different equipment . So I'm thinking we could do the opposite. If you are shooting against someone that is using a pistol with optics, you only need to clear 4 of the 5 plates on your TX Star to win.

Thoughts?

If people like that idea, then the next question would be...

Does the person shooting iron sights start with 5 plates (and only needs to shoot 4 to win) or do they only have 4 plates on the TX Star to begin with.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I'm thinking it's two days before the match. IMO, it's too late to change what was set out as the rules.

Like I said earlier, give the optics shooter's star a spin before the start signal.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I've been giving some thought to the issue of people wanting to shoot a pistol with optics. The problem is that we can't add a plate to a TX Star the way we add a pin during a regular match to "level the playing field" when two competitors have different equipment . So I'm thinking we could do the opposite. If you are shooting against someone that is using a pistol with optics, you only need to clear 4 of the 5 plates on your TX Star to win.

Thoughts?

Does the person shooting iron sights start with 5 plates (and only needs to shoot 4 to win) or do they only have 4 plates on the TX Star to begin with.

you could put four plates on the star for everyone then just add a plate if people want to use optics. :dunno:

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis

Thoughts?

John,
    I think you're trying to do the best you can with what you've got, but sometimes it's just difficult to accommodate every conceivable gun out there. Otherwise you're going to run into folks with pistol caliber rifles with optics, etc. and it's going to be difficult to level the playing field, while still leaving a playing field to compete on. I'd suggest just giving it a "go" with iron sights / 8 rounds only and 5 plates on each texas star this month. If we get a bunch of interest from Open shooters, we could always have an Open-only round or two if folks wanted to try it next month. If you could think of a way to incorporate the plate rack, you could always use that too, but I think it may overly complicate the match for this month.
    Sincerely,
    Chuck

RePete68

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    82   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lowell, IN
    Why couldn't you just create an Open division then only Open shooters would shoot against each other? I'm sure at first you probably wouldn't have a lot of people in Open but eventually you could. I can't speak for all people, but myself, I shoot primarily Open in USPSA. It is hard to switch back & forth between a dot & irons if you expect to do well. I'm always looking for something different to shoot for practice. I have never shot pins, but always wanted to try. Clubs by me don't have pin matches.

But the idea of have optics vs irons is cool by making the optics guys shoot more plates / pins. I think only putting 4 plates on the star for irons would be the easiest way to level the playing field.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011

Thoughts?

My opinion would be to have the shooter without an optic start with 4 plates.

That or set up a bracket for rifle & optic shooters. Would probably be more of a pain, but I don't see too many other options to keep it on even of a keel as possible.

Either way it will still be a good day.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    John,
    I think you're trying to do the best you can with what you've got, but sometimes it's just difficult to accommodate every conceivable gun out there. Otherwise you're going to run into folks with pistol caliber rifles with optics, etc. and it's going to be difficult to level the playing field, while still leaving a playing field to compete on. I'd suggest just giving it a "go" with iron sights / 8 rounds only and 5 plates on each texas star this month. If we get a bunch of interest from Open shooters, we could always have an Open-only round or two if folks wanted to try it next month. If you could think of a way to incorporate the plate rack, you could always use that too, but I think it may overly complicate the match for this month.
    Sincerely,
    Chuck

I concur. For anyone that doesn't have a Iron Sight Pistol you can use my Glock 17, just bring 9mm ammo.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    You know how to solve this problem guys...have the texas star in next months FNS and we can all play with it then too. As far as the bowling pin match this weekend. I agree with Chuck and SingleSix. But i do want to use my PCR with optics on the star, so make it have an appearance in FNS soon!

Top Bottom