• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I am wanting to get into bow hunting, except that I do not know where to start. I know I should just go to a shop to get fitted, etc. but I would like to have some information first, so I don't go into it completely blind. I am a lefty, so that will limit my choices (I believe), but I am used to it.

So, where do I start? What are some good brands? PSE? Matthews? Where are some good shops in the Indy area?

I will have about $1,000 for the bow, arrows and accessories, but would prefer to spend less. What do you recommend looking for/at?

Or, if you had ~$1,000 what would YOU buy? Why?

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I used to shoot Dartons - did for a long time. Then switched to Hoyts. I think it's all personal preference, really. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the big names. You can spend almost as much on the accessories and arrows as the bow itself.

I can't speak for what's in the Indy area. If you don't mind making a trek up north, Bass and Bucks in Wabash is a big shop. I'd bet you could get a good price on a used bow (they have several) to get started and see if you like it, and save some money. Just a thought for ya.

Good luck, and have fun with it!!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you are new to the sport you need to go shoping for a good bow shop. Someone who can help you spend your money and better yet provide you with service and supplies/tuning ect.

In hamilton county there was backyard achery, on st rd 32 just west of town. I think they are still in business. I purchased arrows from them before and they did a little tuning with me.

Grits in Anderson is a nice setup and have been my service provider since Jack's went under in the 1990's. Doug is still servicing my old 1995 era bow from PSE under pse lifetime warrenty.( fourty dollars for the lifetime warranty included string and all accessories and I think It has paid for itself.) I figure one more thing that goes wrong with it and I get a new bow. P.S. I have had a couple of strings and a cam replaced in the 15 years of service. It still kills deer well and shoots great. Heck yeah it is out of favor with the new speed bows all the rage but I shoot it well.

Hoyt, PSE, Bowtech, mathews, everyone makes good bows now. It is also the prefect time to switch and buy someones used last year setup. Lots of people in the bow game replace bows once a year. I don't i just hunt with them.

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    As far as new bows go, the Bowtech Assassin is looking pretty good. If I didn't already have my current bow (Browning Mirage) set up as I like it, I would be owning one of them by now. They come set up with everything you need minus arrows, release, and broadheads for only $599. They're not giving them away but that is a package that will be hard to beat.

Bowtech Archery

One of my buddies is thinking of getting into bowhunting as well and this is what he is eye-balling.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    First thing is welcome to the world of archery! With that said you will get all kinds of answers on what is the best bow out there. My suggestion is to go start looking at bows pick them up and see how they feel in your hand. Being a lefty could be to your advantage I would look at some used bows guys like to trade up and you can get a real nice bow for 1/2 what a new one will run. Almost all newer bows are pretty much equal ( I know I will get slammed on that but they really are all pretty precision pieces of equipment anymore.

Find a pro shop in your area to set the bow up for you! This is real important if the bow is not fitted to you and tuned correctly it will be like shooting a gun with a bent barrel. There is so much to explain in bow tuning all you really need to know is when starting out have a pro help you out.

In addition to the bows you mentioned Parker, Bear, PSE, Martin, Bowtech, Diamond, Hoyt and Reflex are some others. If you want to take a field trip there is a store in Jasper Indiana called The Outdoors Outfitter Home - The Great Outdoors Outfitter They have the largest selection of new and used bows that I have seen. I would say they have at least 200 used bows and more than that in new. They carry several different brands also. I have found great used bows there for less than $200 the guys that work there are great guys no pressure just there if you need questions answered.

There are alot of over priced thing out there sights are one of them. Bow sights are nothing more than a pin one cost $180 and one that looks just like it may cost $50 and do the same thing. Arrow rest are something you get what you pay for like quality optics if this fails you miss your target so get a quality rest. Releases a pro shop will have some for you to try this is the trigger it is the difference of a 10lb dirty trigger on a gun verses a well tuned trigger job. Last but not least is the arrows I like carbon arrows they will flex and not stay bent. Unless you are a olympic target shooter you will not be able to tell the difference in a $80 dozen arrows and $200 dozen arrows. Here again the pro shop can steer you in the right direction. They will cut them to the length you need and adjust them to your arrow rest.

You should be able to get a great set up for what you have budgeted stop in and visit some local shops and talk to the guys there. They what you to come back so they aren't going to rip you off and throw you out they have to service what they sale so they will shoot it straight most of the time.

I hope this will help you some sorry for the long ramble:popcorn:

bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    Check for a used one....left handed may be hard to come by.

If Greensburg is not too far for you, Cutting Edge Sporting Goods is a great place. I bought a used one and he set i up great for me. Ask for Tom. Good luck!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    IF

You look around for some archery sites they're bound to have some used bows in a classified section. I'd, personally, look for a used Mathews, Bowtech, Diamond, or Parker. I just never could warm up to PSE, Hoyt or Darton. They're like clothes. Some styles are gonna feel good on you and some aren't. The more different ones you try, the better off you'll be with your final choice. Yard sales can be better'n pawn shops for used bows.
    Drop away rest and a mechanical release, once you've got 'em set up, will be the easiest way to shoot well. Again, I'd look for used. New releases, good ones will run upwards of $60.
    I'd avoid lighted sight pins. Fiber optics that use ambient light are alright but If you need the pins lit it's usually past legal shooting light and they make it difficult to actually see a good aiming point on a deer in low light.(experience talkin') If you're gonna light the pins, you need a light on the deer and the DNR will frown on that. Three pins are enough to start with but most sights come with 5 these days.
    Carbon arrows for sure. They're either straight or they're broken. Good, sharp, three or four bladed broadheads are a must. Whitetails aren't hard to shoot through and you'll want a good blood trail. Two bladed heads are good if you need to penetrate an elk. Not so much for blood trails. I like Magnus snuffers 'cause I can resharpen them cheaply. NAP Thunderheads were the sharpest replaceable blade heads the last time I saw a test. Avoid the gimmicky stuff. Too complicated, too much to go wrong.
    I like feathers but if you hunt in the rain they're not so good.
    Your best accessory will be a knowledgeable pro shop. I can vouch for the Outdoorsman in Greenwood also. They're just south of Smith Valley Rd on SR135. Bunch of old farts shoot leagues upstairs and they're more than willing to help out a newb.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I would buy a used bow. I always do too. You can save alot of money and get a really nice bow for 1/2 the price of a new one. There are a lot of people that trade every couple years to stay up with the newest and fastest bows out there. Theres not a whole lot of differents in the top bow lines. Fine one that feels good to you and the right draw length and the rest is up to you. Enjoy the sport.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Does everybody shoot with a release these days? I've been looking at bows off and on (still have my old yard sale special, was set up by a pro shop) thinking about getting back into it, never shot a release before.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    not everybody, sepe

Does everybody shoot with a release these days? I've been looking at bows off and on (still have my old yard sale special, was set up by a pro shop) thinking about getting back into it, never shot a release before.

If I shot all yr I'd prolly use a tab, but with the release and the wheelie bow I can pick it up two weeks b4 the season and kill tangerines at 30 yds by the time the season starts. It's just easier to tune and be consistent with. Life is pretty full these days.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Thanks for all the info. I actually went to Backyard Archery on Friday and Girts on Saturday. They both helped me tremendously.

At Backyard, they primarily deal in PSE, and said he can order me anything. He walked me through the different types of bows, and what to look for.

At Girts, they were very helpful as well. They measured my draw length, and actually got to shoot a very nice used bow. I forget what the name was, but they said it was manufactured in Indiana. If someone could name some manufacturers in Indiana, I would greatly appreciate it. I have nothing to compare it to, but it seemed pretty nice. They said it cost $700 new for the bow only. I figure I would have about $700+ for that bow with accessories.

I have been looking on the PSE website and have narrowed it down to three different bows from PSE, if I choose not to go the used route:

Brute:

Field Ready Bows, Brute

Bow Madness:

Field Ready Bows, Bow Madness

Bow Madness XL:

Field Ready Bows, Bow Madness XL

I chose the "field ready" package, as I feel it gives me everything I need to start for a discount, rather than piecing it together. If this is a bad idea, let me know. I don't think I will be able to tell the difference in arrow rests, sights, etc., since I am just starting out. If these components that come with the package are junk, please let me know.

I may try to go down to the Outdoorsman next weekend to see what they have to offer. Either way, I am getting bit by the archery bug, and cannot wait to get my first bow and practice with it.

Thanks.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Girt's Archery in Anderson is close, it is an excellent place to go shoot a variety of bows.

My last hunting bow didn't survive my last move. I drove past The Outdoorsman and several others to buy something at Girt's. And I'll do it again on the next purchase.

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So what would you recommend for a sub $1k budget?

I threw it out there earlier.... Bowtech assassin. This seems to be the best new bow deal out there this year.
    http://www.huntersfriend.com/2011_Bowtech_Assassin_Package/bowtech_binary_cam_compound_bow.htm

As far as used bows, go see what’s available in your size/draw weight and what feels right. Shoot what you can and take some notes on what you like. I never buy on my first trip, I'll go research the crap out of what they have to determine if it is what I want. Also, you can find out actual values of what is for sale and use that as a bargaining chip when you go back.

I’m a treestand hunter so I enjoy a short axle to axle (easier to maneuver). Your intended purposes should be able to guide a pro-shop worker to find the best bow for you. Just don’t let them convince you that one brand is far superior to any other. Any of the big names (Hoyt, Bowtech, Matthews, PSE, Bear, Diamond, etc..) are producing quality bows for various purposes.

Top Bottom