• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Tried sharpening a knife on the rough, unfinished bottom of a coffee mug for the first time. Can't believe it but it actually worked. It's not perfect but it's a workable edge. Haven't tried the top edge of the car door window yet or the ceramic element from a commercial light bulb.

What weird thing not designed for sharpening a knife have you found actually sharpens a knife?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    My Grandad used to resharpen the old 2 sided single edge razor blades on the lip of a highball glass. He lived through the depression and the lessons stayed with him a long time.
    Bottom of a ceramic coffee cup actually is one of the better options IMHO.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    I have an old knife sharpener that was given out as a promo by champion spark plug co.,it is porcelan and looks like a spark plug at the top and is unglazed porcelan at the bottom.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i have seen folks use cinder blocks to sharpen knives. card board to knock the burrs off. seen old timers strop the blade on their jeans, news paper, and even the palm of their hands. i have used the ceramic rod out of the fluorescent lights. the coffee cup is always a solid choice too.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    i have seen folks use cinder blocks to sharpen knives. card board to knock the burrs off. seen old timers strop the blade on their jeans, news paper, and even the palm of their hands. i have used the ceramic rod out of the fluorescent lights. the coffee cup is always a solid choice too.

i use a bunch of these tricks all the time. strop strop strop.....

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Drink coasters, alot of them are ceramic. I have a couple that were freebies from businesses advertising at the fair. They work pretty well!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

I do the jeans and newspaper thing.

I remember being in biology back in high school and we were doing disections, my group's scapel was pretty dull and disecting the frong wasn't going so well. So, when the teacher stepped outside, I sharpened the scapel with a few strokes on the chalk board. Worked okay too :D

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have an old knife sharpener that was given out as a promo by champion spark plug co.,it is porcelan and looks like a spark plug at the top and is unglazed porcelan at the bottom.

I've got one of those 2. It was my dads, and older than dirt.

This is a cool thread. I need to venture out, and try some of these methods. I feel like I'm roughing it when I simply use a sharpening stone :noway:.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The coffee cup trick I have used, learned that one from my dad. I have used my belt to strop a blade before, but never thought to use my jeans. I am usually willing to try anything to keep my blade sharp, as long as it wont destroy the edge.

gunrunr76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    ft. wayne
    my buddy got a nick out of a puukko while we were sitting by the fire with a beer bottle and stropped it on his belt...and then shaved a patch off of his forearm....this was after batoning and making a gaggle of fuzzsticks....it was sweet

speedsix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    fort wayne
    I heard old timers used the bottom of a plate but not a coffee cup, same thing but I have only heard plate. I tried it and it works to hone but not to take off any metal. I use my thick leather belt as a strop and it does work very well.

I only use cardboard on fine edge knives and razors.

whiteman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    knee Deep In Mud
    If you know any electricians they might tell you about knob and tube wiring. The tube is a ceramic tube and works great for sharpening. I use a series of stones and can put an edge that will shave ya clean. Of course I only use quality knives with good steel. D2, 52-100, 440V, ATS34. D-2 is my favorite but only because 52-100 is hard to find.

Top Bottom