• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And are they eating it, or is this the "healthy" food that Moochelle Obama wants on children's plates in such restricted quantities that children are still spending most of the day hungry because that portion of the meal that they are actually willing to eat doesn't provide nearly enough calories for hungry minds to operate off of?

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    "... families can focus on education when they don’t have to budget for school meals every week,” said BPS Interim Superintendent John McDonough.

Yeah, that's got to be the number one barrier to parent involvement in education these days.

:rolleyes:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Hmmm. Federal money is wrong I think. But as a taxpayer, feeding children would be lower on my list of state programs I would want cancelled. That is, if they are eating healthy food... A lot of these kids are not getting good food through no fault of their own and are basically being punished for the stupidity or laziness of their parents who blow the money they get on other junk. In fact, if it were up to me, I'd take a count of kids on the welfare check, remove funds for food and clothing from the check their parents get and give it to the schools for meals and let them order a certain amount of clothing annually for each child. No reason welfare babies should be wearing "Jordan's" or whatever the uber expensive shoes are these days.

Disclaimer: Run on sentences are good for you.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    "... families can focus on education when they don’t have to budget for school meals every week,” said BPS Interim Superintendent John McDonough.

Yeah, that's got to be the number one barrier to parent involvement in education these days.

:rolleyes:

Yeah thats retarded.
    "Uh...sorry son, I'd like to help you with your math homework,but I am trying to figure out how to buy my cigarettes and still have money left for your lunch. ALso, trying to figure out how many monies make up a $2 lunch ticket is stressing me out so much I can't concentrate on helping you read. I have it soooo hard, you don't even know."

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I'm not sure where the funding comes from, but in Indy, there are free lunches for kids available all summer long; they often go to waste. Used to be at some Indy Parks locations, but I *think* they moved them to the schools...I'm pretty sure it's funded as part of the school lunch program, but not certain.

Edit: This one is USDA funded: SummerServings

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Warren Township has universal breakfast, my daughter's school encompasses a few low rent apartment complexes. I happen to patrol the same area and know how poorly some of these kids are treated by their parents. Many of them come to school hungry...a huge barrier to learning. The school found it easier to feed all the kids (if they want) than deal with diminished attention spans due to hunger. If you want to be angry, direct it to the POS parents that squirt out kids and do little to support them. The schools cannot correct bad parenting, only bandaid it with programs like this.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Off topic but my school in CA charged $4.00 for a standard lunch.... not $2

I decided to walk off school property and.eat at.Taco Bell or BK most days. With over 4k students it was hard to keep track of who went where

And on top of the inflated lunch prices which the school probably gets to turn a profit on....we didn't even get free transportation. It was 400 IIRC a year for a bus pass To ride the yellow bus. Or $1.00 a day for the city or county buses which each ran every 15 minutes so if you missed one, there are plenty more.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013

I decided to walk off school property and.eat at.Taco Bell or BK most days. With over 4k students it was hard to keep track of who went where

And on top of the inflated lunch prices which the school probably gets to turn a profit on....we didn't even get free transportation. It was 400 IIRC a year for a bus pass To ride the yellow bus. Or $1.00 a day for the city or county buses which each ran every 15 minutes so if you missed one, there are plenty more.
    Jeeze! I think my lunches cost like $2.25 or $2.50 and buses are tax payer funded. Surprising coming from Commiefornia.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I used to have a kid who knocked on my office window for food whenever I worked late, which was nearly every night. He wasn't being fed at home. I kept leftover food items that were unopened that were left on kids' trays at lunch, that they didn't want, and fed it to him. He wound up graduating high school and now has a good job and wife and kid of his own. He's never forgotten what was done for him. (By the way, he was beaten multiple times by his step dad, too). I see many, many kids whose only meals are the two a day they get at school. Funny, everything seems to be schools' fault, but there is little focus on parents. I'm just not sure how many problems we can solve in just 7 hours a day.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I used to have a kid who knocked on my office window for food whenever I worked late, which was nearly every night. He wasn't being fed at home. I kept leftover food items that were unopened that were left on kids' trays at lunch, that they didn't want, and fed it to him. He wound up graduating high school and now has a good job and wife and kid of his own. He's never forgotten what was done for him. (By the way, he was beaten multiple times by his step dad, too). I see many, many kids whose only meals are the two a day they get at school. Funny, everything seems to be schools' fault, but there is little focus on parents. I'm just not sure how many problems we can solve in just 7 hours a day.

1. This is commendable. Kudos to you!

2. This demonstrates the power of private charity and individual initiative, both in terms of the fact that you managed to help without the implementation of a new program and that this young man was able to apply the requisite initiative to succeed in spite of such an unsupported beginning.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    The different school systems up here have had summer lunch programs for all school age kids for the past 4 or 5 years at least. My sons school system has a higher percentage of kids ON reduced/free lunch than off.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I can come up with quite a list of programs and subsidies I'd cut before cutting meals for kids. A whole bunch of them, that mainly line the pockets of adults. Cutting food for kids doesn't force parents to quit buying cigarettes and booze. Sorry, but this one is far down the list. Obamacare would probably be at the top right now, for me, followed by cutting bureaucracy, certain government agencies, pork barrel spending, some foreign aid, and funding for studies for the mating habits of gnats and such. It goes on and on and on and on.

I just can't feel the outrage over this one. Maybe it is because I know too many needy kids, first hand.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Taxpayer entertainment fund... hard at work...

food-fight.jpg

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    Ugh I hated lunch in school, not everyone runs off three meals a day. I was and still am that guy who has a bunch of small snacks throughout the day instead of three big meals. I was STARVIN MARVIN at school all the time because of this and they had a no food out of the lunchroom policy, I could never eat a full lunch meal.

Was that off topic? Oh well, just another thing our school system does wrong...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Lunch was 85 cents when I was in elementary school, and 10 cents for milk at the beginning of the day. I got $1 a day, and I saved the nickel and bought animal/dinosaur shaped erasers at the school bookstore with it. I don't remember what it was in high school, I started working at 15 and usually took my lunch by then.

and in an unrelated story

tumblr_lvnyvo1nVZ1r57nqyo1_400.png

Top Bottom