• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Saw something interesting today. Was at 21st and Post today, and saw two police SUVs had a yout pulled over in a parking lot. The markings looked weird. Definitely not IMPD.

When I got closer it was Warren Township Police. :scratch: The townships have police now?

A quick google and its School resource officers. (school wasnt mentioned on the cars) Whats up with that? SRO's now helping IMPD with patrols while school is out for the summer? Just seemed odd to me.

Last edited:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Saw something interesting today. Was at 21st and Post today, and saw two police SUVs had a yout pulled over in a parking lot. The markings looked weird. Definitely not IMPD.

When I got closer it was Warren Township Police. :scratch: The townships have police now?

A quick google and its School resource officers. (school wasnt mentioned on the cars) Whats up with that? RO's now helping with patrols while school is out for the summer? Just seemed odd to me.
    Have had their own cars for a long time now. Before I started driving a bus.

Back when I was driving there, they only left campus to go to another district school or to the transportation building to fuel up or get the cars serviced or for bus crashes.

Annnnd the one time (they showed up) I had a fight on my bus and they took both students off in handcuffs.

At one point they were really bad about not helping the bus drivers, they would say they were on the way and wouldnt leave for another ten minutes, would ask what the nearest intersection was - even if you told them 10th and post previously.

I hope they are better now.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Worked in a High School full-time for 4 years after retiring. I was an In School Suspension teacher, kids that get in trouble have 3-4 days with me. I loved it, got them to calm down and get caught up on work.

The SRO was a detective for the small department, we talked a lot. He did mostly school stuff during the year. Went to all 3 buildings/parking lots everyday. He also covered his job as senior detective. In the summer he returned to regular duty unless the school had some need. So he split his time as necessary. Great guy that cared for the kids.

Don

P.S. _ Had a full auto MP5 in his trunk as an issue weapon. Showed it to me and invited me to one of their "Shoots". Unfortunately I was in the hospital for a day then.:tantrum:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

A quick google and its School resource officers. (school wasnt mentioned on the cars) Whats up with that? SRO's now helping IMPD with patrols while school is out for the summer? Just seemed odd to me.
    I graduated from Pike High School in 1990 and we had township school police all four years I was there. I don't know that the official township police department was legally formed at that point but the Sheriff's Department had a training program for those types of positions which provided a basic level of training and an ID card which could be (and they were) revoked on a pretty regular basis if someone wasn't fit for it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I guess I need to clarify.

I know schools have RSOs. But what they hell are they doing pulling people over while school is out, and seemingly not close to a school? I'd only expect a RSO to pull somebody over for excessive speed in a school zone.

I'd ask the same question if I saw a uniformed IMPD officer doing a traffic stop in Brownsburg.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I know schools have RSOs. But what they hell are they doing pulling people over while school is out, and seemingly not close to a school? I'd only expect a RSO to pull somebody over for excessive speed in a school zone.

I'd ask the same question if I saw a uniformed IMPD officer doing a traffic stop in Brownsburg.
    Warren Central is only about 5 blocks from there.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass

He could have seen something that they believed needed addressed or recognized a suspect. I occasionally made traffic stops or assisted other agencies off-duty and outside "jurisdiction" if the situation warranted the action. Most LEOs have statewide jurisdiction 24/7. Believe school police are county-wide, unless they hold a second badge.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Which means they are 4 blocks too far away IMHO.

And its summer. School zone isnt active.
    Not sure, but I think they have full arrest powers just like MCSD. And I would say that all of Warren Township would be their jurisdiction. Maybe someone in LE can confirm? And while school might not be in session yet (Beech Grove started today I think), there are still extracurricular activities during the summer.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Former SRO.

Most school districts have state-certified officers that attend the full ILEA course, after about 2018-ish, when it was voted in that school districts/corporations could form their own police departments. Some still use the local PD/Sheriff for their SROs and some (in Marion County) still use MCSO Special Deputies. However the Special Deputy program was terminated on March 31st this year with the only exceptions being other governmental agencies like the Health Department, Health and Hospital, Probation, etc.

The full time school police officers have statewide powers 24/7 and can take action anywhere in the state, but especially in the county of jurisdiction. Out of county actions by officers is generally reserved for very egregious actions or multi-county investigations. There were numerous times I made an arrest out of county for a warrant or a crime that occurred in my jurisdiction but we located the person out of county. The only real difficulty when it comes to out of county arrests is simply the fact that the officer isn’t in the other county’s booking system so a local officer does the arrest with the out of county officer being the witness and written into the probable cause affidavit. This happens maybe 1% of the time or less.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Which means they are 4 blocks too far away IMHO.

And its summer. School zone isnt active.
    Trying to keep busy? Aside from patrolling vacant buildings, I'm not sure what SROs do when schools out.

They could be working a task force gig while they're "off" for the summer or just witnessed a blatant crime or traffic violation and made the stop.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Most .gov employed police in Indiana have statewide jurisdiction, exceptions for special deputies, etc.

Maybe he's a vandalism suspect. Maybe he tripped the alarm at the school. Maybe he was just speeding. Who knows? It's a problem they didn't stop him right on school grounds or it's a problem they were addressing whatever criminal activity they were addressing because a township hired them vs the city or county? I'm not getting the issue.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Fun fact. We use to drive the senior class to conseco/bankers/what ever the fieldhouse is now, in a convey of busses.

The township police would stop or block traffic for us. The closer we got to the destination the fewer officers we had. Rumor was we never had a permit to do such activities.

Was fun to drive that though

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    CM, just FYI, Warren is back in school--the first student day for 9th graders and below was Thursday, and every grade was in session today.

What they were actually doing there I have no idea, but school and school zones in Warren Twnshp are active this week.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    CM, just FYI, Warren is back in school--the first student day for 9th graders and below was Thursday, and every grade was in session today.

What they were actually doing there I have no idea, but school and school zones in Warren Twnshp are active this week.
    Back to school in July

1663245841325.gif

Top Bottom