• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • str8reiter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2010
    I am helping a family member go through their shooting gear collection and came across some of this Tubbs polishing ammo. I also found this string, here on INGO (https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/tubbs-bore-polishing-bullets-270-loaded.532510/).

I understand the purpose of the ammo and why a competition shooter might use it. I am not in a predicament where I or anyone else in my family needs this product. I don't believe it would be a good idea to just "shoot this ammo up" because of the lapping compounds in it - unless I want to significantly alter the bore of my rifle. I also assume pulling it apart for components isn't worth it either.

So, here is my question - what the hell do you do with this stuff?

This seems like the dead CFL bulb conundrum: You don't need it, but you can't do anything with it.

Was this even a well-received product or was it just an answer looking for a problem?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I am helping a family member go through their shooting gear collection and came across some of this Tubbs polishing ammo. I also found this string, here on INGO (https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/tubbs-bore-polishing-bullets-270-loaded.532510/).

I understand the purpose of the ammo and why a competition shooter might use it. I am not in a predicament where I or anyone else in my family needs this product. I don't believe it would be a good idea to just "shoot this ammo up" because of the lapping compounds in it - unless I want to significantly alter the bore of my rifle. I also assume pulling it apart for components isn't worth it either.

So, here is my question - what the hell do you do with this stuff?

This seems like the dead CFL bulb conundrum: You don't need it, but you can't do anything with it.

Was this even a well-received product or was it just an answer looking for a problem?
    David Tubb was/is? a reputable gun guy and I've heard stories of improvement using the stuff, but I have never had the need to try it. What caliber is the kit? I have a .222 that I might try it in.

str8reiter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2010
    Yeah, I understand it's for fire lapping - which is interesting and scary (considering all the other stuff that cruises down the barrel during firing). It's 30-06, so fairly old school caliber for competition guns anymore. Is fire lapping "better" for microgroove rifling? That's interesting...

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    From what I’ve read, Microgroove can have differing diameters through the length of the barrel. I confirmed this last night slugging my barrel. Tight under the front sight and the chamber area. From what I can gather, fire lapping is a cheaper way of getting a lapped barrel. The ammo used is low velocity with abrasives in it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I recently listened to a podcast and they were joking about those kinds of kits from years ago and how it would do more damage than good. It wasn't the main topic, but more of a side offhand joke. Bottom line, if that worked really well you'd hear a lot more about it in the PRS / Benchrest / F Class world. I wouldn't use them.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    64   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I have used this method on military surplus, scrub those sewer pipes out good, then 3 0r 4 rounds down the tube and it makes a definite improvement with no signs of damage either with a bore scope! Never had a need to do it on modern barrels or custom competition barrels though

Dinny

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I prefer to have tights spots at the chamber and muzzle and would never do anything to remove them. Afterall, what's does the rest of the barrel do besides impart spin on the bullet? The short answer is absolutely nothing.

str8reiter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2010
    Well, I imagine he was buying this stuff at the same time was buying old surplus Mitchell's Mausers, Garands, etc. I could see this being the way he was going to "clean" up the bores after age, corrosive ammo, etc. Makes sense.
    This product does seem like a dated solution.

Top Bottom