• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    So fox is done broadcasting NASCAR this year, NBC takes over for the remainder of the year. Fox released its season ratings, and they come in at a whopping -1% compared to last year. If you remember, they were bragging ratings were up +8% at the start of July, now they’ve fallen to -1%, so they dropped the average for the season -9% in only a couple weeks. It would probably be significantly lower, but their first race back at Darlington had really high numbers. Their ratings were doing great until all the political bs. So even with no other sports to compete with, everyone at home, and having record ratings on their return, they managed to screw it up and bring the average down to a loss.

In non related NASCAR news, Mario Andretti is being attacked now. Lewis Hamilton said blacks are discriminated against in motor sports, which is why there are so few black drivers. Mario Andretti said he’s making a problem that doesn’t exist, blacks aren’t discriminated against in motor sports at all. Now the mob is going after mario.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So fox is done broadcasting NASCAR this year, NBC takes over for the remainder of the year. Fox released its season ratings, and they come in at a whopping -1% compared to last year. If you remember, they were bragging ratings were up +8% at the start of July, now they’ve fallen to -1%, so they dropped the average for the season -9% in only a couple weeks. It would probably be significantly lower, but their first race back at Darlington had really high numbers. Their ratings were doing great until all the political bs. So even with no other sports to compete with, everyone at home, and having record ratings on their return, they managed to screw it up and bring the average down to a loss.

In non related NASCAR news, Mario Andretti is being attacked now. Lewis Hamilton said blacks are discriminated against in motor sports, which is why there are so few black drivers. Mario Andretti said he’s making a problem that doesn’t exist, blacks aren’t discriminated against in motor sports at all. Now the mob is going after mario.

Willy T tried the same crap. He could get up on the wheel in his SCCA car but out him in something really fast at Indy and he was a sissy.
    George Bignotti put him in a car. Tested. He failed miserably.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne

So they are the only sport on and no one is still watching them. Sounds about right.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    The banning of confederate flags really doesn't bother me at all. Like it or not that flag did stand for people that wanted to keep their slaves, so I can see how a large chunk of our population could be bothered by it.

Is that the metric we should use then? If something is bothersome to a certain percentage of people, we ban it?

Hmm..... That could go bad for a lot of us!

side note. Does it matter at all what that flag means to the people who flew it? Or only what it means (or what some say it means) to certain people?

Lastly, if the Confederate flag is/was so offensive, why did it take so long for NASCAR to make the ban?

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Is that the metric we should use then? If something is bothersome to a certain percentage of people, we ban it?

Hmm..... That could go bad for a lot of us!

side note. Does it matter at all what that flag means to the people who flew it? Or only what it means (or what some say it means) to certain people?

Lastly, if the Confederate flag is/was so offensive, why did it take so long for NASCAR to make the ban?

I always associated the Confederate flag with southern Rednecks not slavery. Still do and I'm OK with that.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I always associated the Confederate flag with southern Rednecks not slavery. Still do and I'm OK with that.
    Growing up when I seen one it reminded me of the dukes of hazard. Still does, I wanted to be like Luke Duke when I was a kid. Turns out I turned into cooter :rolleyes:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Again on point.

My boycott started before Bubba tried to shove his blackness up our Kiesters. The COT (car of tomorrow) was the death knell for us. What an absolute turd that thing was. These new itterations are still clones to the rule book. No innovation at all unless you are better than Chad Kanouse. (Sp)

Spec race cars. Nascar died with Dale Senior. Prove me wrong. If he were still with us none of this dumb :poop: would be happening.

We spent a lot of time running with the Hendricks organization. Lots of time. Rick and his people are just the absolute best. Our team manager is now chief of racing operations for Rick. So in all of this there was never a group of more die hard racers than the cast of characters we ran with.
    The IRL ruined Indy.
    Napcar followed them into the same rabbit hole.
    Now my beloved NHRA has found the koolaid and has consumed it.

Bubba is just a product of the times we find ourselves living in. Danica could drive circles around that clown and she was no real race driver. Not by the standards we hold. How this played out is typical of some pages from the progressive lib play book. More of the same.

So just saying we were done when Tony S. stepped away from the wheel.
    Yep, yep, and yep! Agreed across the board!
    I spent so many nights in the All American Campground (Bristol) I should of had a mailbox there. Made many trips to a lot of other tracks too. Richmond, Martinsville, Talladega, down to some of the small dirt tracks (probably the best racing to watch!). I was a diehard Stewart fan. That man could and did race and excel in every kind of car! A joy to watch!
    I quit watching when they started with the ridiculous stages. I still went to the Brickyard mainly because it was a tradition meeting up with the guys for drinking and fun, and caught the occasional race on tv.
    I swore off for good though when they pulled the flag publicity stunt.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

News flash.... Whites, Hispanics, and Asians are discriminated against in the NBA and NFL!

I always hated hearing “Mario is slowing down”! Even though he had rotten luck at Indy, Mario was one of the very best racers EVER! He was the Tony Stewart of his time! Those two were/are so similar.

Last edited:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    News flash.... Whites, Hispanics, and Asians are discriminated against in the NBA and NFL!

I always hated hearing “Mario is slowing down”! Even though he had rotten luck at Indy, Mario was one of the very best racers EVER! He was the Tony Stewart of his time! Those two were/are so similar.

Ya id also throw AJ Foyt in there. And Kyle Larson. Everything I’ve seen those guys step foot in they’ve been competitive or won. That’s what happens to motor sports when you start hiring drivers based on their ethnicity instead of their skills. The days of tony Stewart, the Andretti’s, Larsons, etc are well gone now. Sad to see sports die in the name of diversity instead of giving the job to those who’ve earned it. What a world we live in

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ya id also throw AJ Foyt in there. And Kyle Larson. Everything I’ve seen those guys step foot in they’ve been competitive or won. That’s what happens to motor sports when you start hiring drivers based on their ethnicity instead of their skills. The days of tony Stewart, the Andretti’s, Larsons, etc are well gone now. Sad to see sports die in the name of diversity instead of giving the job to those who’ve earned it. What a world we live in

It all revolves around the money. What does a driver bring to the table as in a personal check from backers and a sponsorship package. Skills required are being able to put some laps together and stay out of the wall.

I remember when Hiro Mashusta was wheeling the Panasonic car for Dick Simon. HM was a terrible wheel man. Scared to death in qualy runs. But he was of the Panasonic family. The money was large and endless. His handlers treated him as a Prince. Seriously. We just joked around with him and it freaked them out. But no, he was no wheel man but Dick cashed the checks.

Truth is the Lola Buick chassis was developed just for Hiro. With Buick (Speuick) power they could pin the car with the wings and the power could push through the air dams.
    Lola sold those chassis to the Menard team and records were set that stood until the "Gave" Liondyke the record in a severally outside the existing rules car to come even with him for the idiocy in Texas with Foyt. Nothing is as it seems people.

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It all revolves around the money. What does a driver bring to the table as in a personal check from backers and a sponsorship package. Skills required are being able to put some laps together and stay out of the wall.

I remember when Hiro Mashusta was wheeling the Panasonic car for Dick Simon. HM was a terrible wheel man. Scared to death in qualy runs. But he was of the Panasonic family. The money was large and endless. His handlers treated him as a Prince. Seriously. We just joked around with him and it freaked them out. But no, he was no wheel man but Dick cashed the checks.

Truth is the Lola Buick chassis was developed just for Hiro. With Buick (Speuick) power they could pin the car with the wings and the power could push through the air dams.
    Lola sold those chassis to the Menard team and records were set that stood until the "Gave" Liondyke the record in a severally outside the existing rules car to come even with him for the idiocy in Texas with Foyt. Nothing is as it seems people.

Yep, very few "pro" drivers anymore that come from being hard nosed, work their tail off, building/maintaining/repairing and rebuilding their own cars. In many ways racing at the highest levels has become more of a means to create marketing opportunities. Teams are unfortunately driven to put drivers in cars who bring funds with them, are PC, mostly squeaky clean backgrounds, were raised by parents who put them in motorsports to steer them into a career, marketable (looks), etc. Big money has killed the motorsports by pushing people who don't fit the cookie cutter image away.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep, very few "pro" drivers anymore that come from being hard nosed, work their tail off, building/maintaining/repairing and rebuilding their own cars. In many ways racing at the highest levels has become more of a means to create marketing opportunities. Teams are unfortunately driven to put drivers in cars who bring funds with them, are PC, mostly squeaky clean backgrounds, were raised by parents who put them in motorsports to steer them into a career, marketable (looks), etc. Big money has killed the motorsports by pushing people who don't fit the cookie cutter image away.

Jeff Gordon comes to mind.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think Jeff could probably have been a champion in any series in his prime.

But don't forget Bubba Wallace had to overcome slavery and racism. Just imagine how terrible it must have been. :(

Jeff could get up on the wheel in anything he strapped on but his dad put him in the right equipment.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Jeff could get up on the wheel in anything he strapped on but his dad put him in the right equipment.

Exactly where I was going. Parents put their kids behind the wheel of anything they can in hopes of pushing them into racing as a career. Their development varies but they move through the ranks and everyone is amazed how good they are for their age. It draws attention to them. Pats on the back from the right people can fuel any level of passion a kid may have..even if they never really had much choice. After Gordon there was a real push to find the next "young gun" to put in the car and draw mega sponsorship money.
    Money money money

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    NASCAR made an announcement they won’t be having practice or qualifying for the rest of the year. Teams get a certain amount of money to qualify, so sponsorless teams won’t be getting any extra money now. Morgan shepherd racing made the announcement that this will likely be the nail in their coffin and they aren’t sure if they’re going to continue.

Anyone thinking NASCAR isn’t struggling is a fool. They’ve been struggling to fill sponsorships. Every big name pulled out. Budweiser. Lowe’s. Miller lite. Penzoil. I know there’s some I’m forgetting but they can’t even get small sponsors to keep a unfunded team going. Hell the little teams costs the least amount of money. All this crap lately was a desperate attempt to attract sponsors. Quit attracting sponsors and attract fans, sponsors will come naturally.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    NASCAR made an announcement they won’t be having practice or qualifying for the rest of the year. Teams get a certain amount of money to qualify, so sponsorless teams won’t be getting any extra money now. Morgan shepherd racing made the announcement that this will likely be the nail in their coffin and they aren’t sure if they’re going to continue.

Anyone thinking NASCAR isn’t struggling is a fool. They’ve been struggling to fill sponsorships. Every big name pulled out. Budweiser. Lowe’s. Miller lite. Penzoil. I know there’s some I’m forgetting but they can’t even get small sponsors to keep a unfunded team going. Hell the little teams costs the least amount of money. All this crap lately was a desperate attempt to attract sponsors. Quit attracting sponsors and attract fans, sponsors will come naturally.

Kind of like a restaurant that is starting to go downhill. Instead of upping the quality of the food they raise the prices, lessen the amount of food served and then drive their customers away.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Stop the spec racing. Re-write the rule book. Get the college grad non-racer dip:poop:'s off the board and away from involvement. Stop marketing a "Product" and lets go racing.

But it is far too late for this. The young in this country are not following Dad and Mom to the grandstands. Entertainment has so drastically changed.
    These softy kids just show no interest.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Kind of like a restaurant that is starting to go downhill. Instead of upping the quality of the food they raise the prices, lessen the amount of food served and then drive their customers away.

Yup. The only difference is they have sponsors paying their bills to advertise in their restaurant, and if your restaurant doesn’t have any customers there’s no reason for sponsors to pay the bills.
    Stop the spec racing. Re-write the rule book. Get the college grad non-racer dip:poop:'s off the board and away from involvement. Stop marketing a "Product" and lets go racing.

But it is far too late for this. The young in this country are not following Dad and Mom to the grandstands. Entertainment has so drastically changed.
    These softy kids just show no interest.

This is exactly what’s happening. They’re trying to attract the younger crowd, but the younger crowd doesn’t want to sit in the hot sun for 4 hours watching a car drive in a oval. They’re the internet generation, they either wanna watch videos online or play video games. The guys watching NASCAR are the guys who grew up working on cars or going to the track.

And yes the rule book has gotten way out of hand. Every car looks the same and pretty much is the same with the limits they have. The only difference is engine and body, and even those are so tightly restricted there isn’t a huge difference between manufacturers.

Speaking of which, has anyone else heard the rumors of another manufacturer joining? I’ve been reading a lot about another coming in, but nothing set in stone yet. Rumors are Honda. Honda?! In NASCAR??? Ugh.

Top Bottom