• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    I went to the range on Sunday with some buddies and fell in love with their bolt-action .223's, so I decided to find one for myself. I've been looking around for the best "bang for the buck" and am pretty much set on the Mossberg MVP, but would like some opinions. I don't hunt, so this will be a target-only rifle. I considered purchasing a Stevens 200 to modify, but the cost of modifying the rifle will most likely put me over the cost of the Mossberg.

I can grab a MVP locally for $569, but I'm still on the fence. What do you guys think?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Savage Model 10.

What, in particular, attracted you to the MVP? What modifications were you considering for the Stevens? What is your budget (don't forget you'll want some decent glass, too)?

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    I handled a Mossberg today and thought the quality was pretty nice for the price. I like the barrel specs, the stock, the adjustable trigger, and the caliber. The AR mag feature doesn't mean much, as I don't have an AR. I do, however, have a Saiga in 5.56 that I've considered getting an AR mag adapter for.

For the Stevens, I was looking at a barrel, stock, and trigger work.

I'd like to keep my budget as low as possible ~$600 before optics.

I will look into the Savage 10 as well. I've heard they're good for the price- I just thought the Mossberg was the more cost-friendly option.

I've also heard the Mossberg's action was based off of the Howa and that their triggers are very similar to Saavge's. Any truth to that?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    HAD a Howa 223 that i was setting up for varmit hunting and a friend HAD to have it so I sold the outfit and... I saw an ad for a REMINGTON 700 SPS V at what i thoght was a real reasonable price so I said, "Hey lets UPGRADE".

Wrong

The Remington came in with a 26" barrel HV weight and looked nice, but compared to the Hoowa the action was rough and the trigger the NEW remington adjustable was set for 6 pounds out of the box and the stock, the stock was cheap plastic with no bedding blocks and with a bipod the stock bends in and rests on the barrel, when you pick it up the stock bends away from the barrel. So I tuned the trigger to 3 pounds and took off the cheap scope the rifle came with and put on a good scope and now I will have to replace the stock. I should have stayed with the Howa. I also let this one go one down the line for a 1992 era rem 700 BDL. If i had to buy new and on a budget and wanted a target/range gun i would look at the following CZ Below.

Now the kicker is the LIST price for the Howa is $459 and the price for the Remington is $699 and quite frankly you get less for your money. I am sure disappointed in what has happened to the Remington conglomerate guns.

Check out the CZ 527 ......
    CZ-USA -> CZ 527 VARMINT

Unlike the other this one has a 1 in 9 twist and can stablize the bigger bullets. Adjustable single set trigger, out of the box accuracy and you can get it with a piece of wood for the stock. Not a piece of plastic. 24 inch barrel heavy contor also.

Plus the rifle will most likely outshoot the guns of the guys you were at the range with, It is going to cost a bit more than the Mossburg but it is a good deal for all the upgrades you get with it. In otherwords you get the upgrades you are going to need with the CZ.

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    HAD a Howa 223 that i was setting up for varmit hunting and a friend HAD to have it so I sold the outfit and... I saw an ad for a REMINGTON 700 SPS V at what i thoght was a real reasonable price so I said, "Hey lets UPGRADE".

Wrong

The Remington came in with a 26" barrel HV weight and looked nice, but compared to the Hoowa the action was rough and the trigger the NEW remington adjustable was set for 6 pounds out of the box and the stock, the stock was cheap plastic with no bedding blocks and with a bipod the stock bends in and rests on the barrel, when you pick it up the stock bends away from the barrel. So I tuned the trigger to 3 pounds and took off the cheap scope the rifle came with and put on a good scope and now I will have to replace the stock. I should have stayed with the Howa. I also let this one go one down the line for a 1992 era rem 700 BDL. If i had to buy new and on a budget and wanted a target/range gun i would look at the following CZ Below.

Now the kicker is the LIST price for the Howa is $459 and the price for the Remington is $699 and quite frankly you get less for your money. I am sure disappointed in what has happened to the Remington conglomerate guns.

Check out the CZ 527 ......
    CZ-USA -> CZ 527 VARMINT

Unlike the other this one has a 1 in 9 twist and can stablize the bigger bullets. Adjustable single set trigger, out of the box accuracy and you can get it with a piece of wood for the stock. Not a piece of plastic. 24 inch barrel heavy contor also.

Plus the rifle will most likely outshoot the guns of the guys you were at the range with, It is going to cost a bit more than the Mossburg but it is a good deal for all the upgrades you get with it. In otherwords you get the upgrades you are going to need with the CZ.

I read this post in the other thread. Where are you getting that price for the Howa? I can't find anything close to that. By the way, that CZ is a very nice rifle.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Mosseberg gets a rep, because of the low price. I saw that rifle and looks like a really nice one. The trigger and taking ar mags cought my eye first and the looks are very good. All the reviews I could find on the gun were great. For the low price on this rifle compaired to others you can buy alot nicer scope. An have extra money to buy ammo. Gun has a 1/9 twist (as most ar's) so you should be able to find a bullet that it likes at a low price. Only down side I saw to it, it's only for right handed shooters, and I'm left handed or I'd have one. Good luck

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Heard the newer Remington's were crap. Have an older 700 in 30-06 and a .223 with a nice thumb hole stock and both are sweet shooters. was thinking about selling the 30-06 and going .308 but guess a new Remington is out of the question now....Poop.....:poop:

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    One could buy a Stevens 200, a Rifle Basix SAV-1 trigger, and a Boyd laminate stock of your choice and have less than $550 invested. Plus its a blank slate for any future modifications you might want to do.

Of course it wouldn't have a detachable mag, fluted bolt or heavy sporter/light varmint barrel...

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a Remy 700 SPS Tactical in 223 and it's a nice gun but if I were to buy another rifle I'd go with the CZ 527 Varmint. I handled a 527 Standard rifle out at KS&E and was very impressed with it. I shoot a few of their rimfire rifles and they are excellent. I would have bought the 527 but it was sold! The Savage would be a good selection as well. I have friends that own them and they all shoot well and are very affordable. :twocents:

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    Savage 110 series rifles are known for accuracy. The Remington model 788 rifles or at least the actions, owned the high power metallic silhouette game back in that sport's hayday. Any 788 will outshoot most other factory rifles out of the box. have probably owned at least a dozen over the years. they also have a detachable mag. if that matters. I have a .308 that will shoot 3/4 inch groups with hand loads and 1 1/2 inch with military ball...

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    savage axis .223, black plastic stock, detachable magazine,with rings,bases and scope allready on the gun and ready to shoot! and i think less than 400.00

check one out today at your local gun shop!

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Take a look at the Savage model 25 bvt, laminate thumbhole stock, if you can find one.
    Mine is super accurate!! IMO it is also a beautiful rifle.

I think with some decent glass I have a little over $700 in mine, but it has been several years ago.

Only downside mine has, is that it doesn't like steel cased ammo.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The prices listed are dealer cost in my above post. I have a freind in the business who allows me to piggyback in on an order if I give him cash up front. He is the one that now hates the REM line up.

The remington SPS I got and turned over had a real poor machining on the bolt. the stock flexed. I ended up selling and getting a real model 700 embellished used.

Lots of high power rifles sit on gun store shelves in Indiana. Mike at crackshot in Anderson has had a Belgium made safari browning 30-06 with leather sling, scope, and 3/4 box of ammo at under the list price of the CZ new. I think I have seen it on the rack for over a year. Now in 223 i think it would have sold long ago. Still do be to afraid to check out used rifles if they are in your price range.

If you look at the CZ i would also pay more for the varmint over the americian version. The american has a slower twist, worse trigger, and the barrel is smaller in diamater and less stiff. They would make a good walking coyote rifle not a good bench target rifle.

The CZ in the varmint ot varmint/target versions is going to give you lots of value on initial investment and less to have to do with it in the future.

KS@E on the east side does well with CZ sales and I am sure shooter521 would match any price they would quote you on one. (I can't vouch for that) if you would rather deal with someone on the west side.

PS marlin only made the XL OR X7 lineup in 223 for a very small amount of time. It may have been like a talo special run.

Last ime i checked the internets Bud's had the howa at about 489 to 559 depending on options. The CZ varmint was just over 700 . Eat a PBJ sandwich and buy a coffe termos and take in coffee and I bet you can save up the difference in a month. Heck most places It is going to take 2-3 weeks to get in from the distributer anyway.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Savage

Savages are known for accuracy right out of the box. We shoot various Model 10s in .204 and .223 though a couple of ours were well over $500, the LRPV, for example. The Model 10F guns may have the flimsy "tupperware" stock which is easy to replace fairly cheaply. A friend just bought a new Savage Axis package in .223 with a cheapo 3-9 scope at Beech Grove Firearms for $100 less than Gander Mtn or Dick's was advertising them!

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    CZ 527fs in .223
    45142ee32eb883d9e3de70d292bf43a8.png

Top Bottom