• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    So I've started a list of stuff for BOB. I'm just wondering what some of you have added to the standard list of things to have. Also have you packed more than the recommended 72hrs worth of stuff?

Have a wife and two kids. I"m worried about over doing it. Also do any of you that have kids have a bag for your kids to carry themselves? I was thinking a small backpack for them with water and change of clothes.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Aside from the normal "get from point A to point B" stuff, today I realized that I needed hair do-dads in my bag. May seem frivolous, but when you need one, you NEED one!

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    My BOB is my get home bag, plain and simple.

Here is what I have

100rds .45 ammo
    4 magazines
    50 feet of 550 cord
    25 feet of 100mph tape
    Grayman West Nile fixed blade
    Leather work gloves
    Medical kit, with quick clot
    Firestarter kit with 1 tampon
    Flashlight (2) Surefires, with 12 extra 123 batteries
    Lethearman Supertool w/ tool kit
    6 Energy Bars
    3 Granola Bars
    Lighter (Bic)
    Compass
    Mini prybar
    Weather radio
    Extra battery for cell phone
    2 bandanas (old army type)
    200 dineros in small bills

This should get me to the house, and is an addition to my EDC gear

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    I am a firm believer that it is the same, just OD.

FOrgot, I also keep 3 water bottles in the Liter fashion with the BOB too.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    I actually set up a Walmartish "tote" box. It has about everything for a 3-4 day stay out or indoors. Plan is to grab kids and tote into vehicle and meet at specified location. I also have a bag set-up but tote will be the only thing we grab as a minimum.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Aside from everything else mostly already mentioned.How about a state map. A compass is great,but quite a bit more useful with a map.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If you're adding a firestarting kit to your BOB I would suggest adding in some fine steel wool and a 9 volt battery (keep them separated). Rubbing the battery over the steel wool will let you start a fire in most conditions, wet or dry.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    If you're adding a firestarting kit to your BOB I would suggest adding in some fine steel wool and a 9 volt battery (keep them separated). Rubbing the battery over the steel wool will let you start a fire in most conditions, wet or dry.

I like the map and compass suggestions- adding those. Question- The battery and steel wool sounds like a hassle. Any benefit over a good lighter in a baggy?

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I'd recommend a DeLorme map (Atlas & Gazetteers, by State - DeLorme). They are outstanding and tend to have all the back roads, great detail, creeks, etc. As an added bonus, you can communicate with friends using DeLorme coordinates (40A9 being page 40, A, 9). I've worn out two of these and have them for 12-15 states. Some of the larger states are a little less detailed, but Indiana's level of detail is amazing.

My wife and I both have one in our vehicles.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I like the map and compass suggestions- adding those. Question- The battery and steel wool sounds like a hassle. Any benefit over a good lighter in a baggy?
    One more thing on the map,spend the few extra dollars and get a laminated one. Steel wool and a battery work,but to me there is nothing wrong with an old fashion lighter.I have one of the magnesium fire starters as well,will last 1000 times longer than the battery and steel wool.The ones I have are like these... Coghlan's Magnesium Fire Starter : Cabela's they work well.

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    I actually have taken a different route to the BOB. I have things that will help me set up camp, trap, or hunt/fish.

I'd take some pics but everyone would laugh at me... :(

I have the mini fishing pole deal in there with some fake worms and all kinds of other stuff. Such as some M80's (diversion item), also a sort of lightning firework that lights up the whole damn sky/ground. Sounds funny I know but these are stored in zip-lock bags and could come in handy. Say a animal runs in a hole, a M80 could possibly used to scare it out or the other item could be used to light the darkened hole up. :D

I have a mess kit, fire starters, gel fuel, type of wood shavings that burns real hot (can't think of name), all sorts of odds and ends. Also have a type of silky material that could be used to filtrate larger particals of water, used as a net to catch things such as frogs,minnows,fish. I plan to catch the food. This way I'm not planning on the food being stored good when it comes down to it. When SHTF I will grab what I can and run with the bag.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have a bunch of these, but I gotta say that they are too big for a BOB in my opinion, and while thay have a lot of detail, they do not list current road names, just County Road names (CR) and if you look at a town or a city, you are out of luck as they do not list street names.

I guess it's all what you need a map for, but I use them for work and I really like the local county maps that get printed of course they do not have any topography, so perhaps USGS maps with the addition of city or highway maps? Perhaps reduced and put into a plastic sleeve?

I'd recommend a DeLorme map (Atlas & Gazetteers, by State - DeLorme). They are outstanding and tend to have all the back roads, great detail, creeks, etc. As an added bonus, you can communicate with friends using DeLorme coordinates (40A9 being page 40, A, 9). I've worn out two of these and have them for 12-15 states. Some of the larger states are a little less detailed, but Indiana's level of detail is amazing.

My wife and I both have one in our vehicles.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I think that the new tatical lights are pretty cool, but there is a lot of benefit to a standard AA or AAA type head lamp. Many can be bought for around $10 and allow you to keep your hands free. If they are LED they also have good battery life and can give a nice unfocused beam which is easier for general work. Many also have a red LED to keep your night vision intact. Standard batteries are also cheaper, and more readily available. You could also use rechargables if you use it alot.

Coon hunters use Nite Lights, which are real bright and heavy, but last a longer time 6-8 hrs depending on bulb, and are rechargable at home or in the vehicle, albeit expensive.

I'm not knocking tactical lights, just saying have a light to keep your hands free in your BOB.

Also a piezo igniter can give you a spark, but if the flint in you bic gets wet, it won't spark. I often carried a carbide lamp with me, kept the carbide in a baby bottle (waterproof), just put carbide in the lamp and add water (or urine if times are that tough) and you have light and heat and a way to start another fire, and with the piezo igniter, not an issue in a downpour with a splash guard on the lamp.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I have a big duffle bag in the car with three smaller backpacks in it:

Big Duffle:
    (
    Food bag:
    Protein bars
    Peanut butter
    Dried Cranberries
    Spices (salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, Ms Dash)
    Sugar packets
    Honey
    Bowl
    Spoons
    Flask :)

Clothing bag:
    Heavy jacket (1)
    Longsleeve shirt (1)
    Jeans (1 pair)
    Wick thermals top/bottom (1 pair)
    Cotton thermals top/bottom (1 pair)
    Wick socks (5)
    Wool socks (5 pair)
    Underwear (5 pair)
    Gloves (2 pair)
    Hats (2)

Tent/sleeping bag:
    Bivvy tent
    Ground cloth
    Sleeping bag
    Sleeping bag liner
    Waterproofing gel
    18" black zip ties
    )

External to the duffle bag are :

Fanny pack with 2 water bottles and three smaller bags:
    (
    First Aid Kit:
    Various bandaids
    Butterfly bandaids
    Ipecac
    Mercuroclear
    Superglue
    Scissors
    Tampon
    Tweezers
    Trauma pads
    Razor blade
    Black sharpie
    Mini notebook
    Aspirin
    Benedryl
    Neosporin

Toiletries Kit:
    Bar soap
    Deordorant
    Toothpaste/brush
    Comb

General Kit:
    Flint/steel/cotton
    Scissors
    Folding knife
    Sharpener
    Mini mag light (led)
    AA Batteries
    Candle
    Lighter
    Whistle
    Compass
    Black sharpie
    Bottle opener/cork screw
    Superglue
    )

Tool Kit:
    (
    Drillers hammer
    Sheath knife
    Camp shovel
    Crescent wrench
    Multi-head screwdriver
    Broad axe head hatchet
    Leather gloves
    Duct tape
    Shears
    Glass cutter
    Diagonal cutters
    Razor knife
    )

Seperate Items:
    (
    Hiking boots
    Extra water
    Firearms
    Surefire light + extra 123's
    700W converter
    Tie down straps
    4 D-cell Maglight
    )

I'm sure I'm forgetting tons of items but you get the idea. Everything is broken into modular units. I can grab what I need, mix and match backpacks and take what I need at a moments notice.

Top Bottom