• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Just got back from Plainfield Shooting Supply and there is quite a bit more ammo in stock than I expected. And the store wasn't as busy as I expected. Maybe this "Great Panic" is waning.

Anyway, Bob has lots of 9mm, 40SW, 45ACP. No .380Auto. Little 10mm. Lots of blue box .223 and .308 etc.

I think the one box limit applies, so you have to buy a box or a case.

I scored a case of Federal XM193 for $250. They also have boxes of 20 for $10, so same price per round. I think I bought the next to last case and another guy bought the last while I was there.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I need 7.62x39 and I cant handle the current prices.... its killing me. the gouging needs to stop!

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Just got back from Plainfield Shooting Supply and there is quite a bit more ammo in stock than I expected. And the store wasn't as busy as I expected. Maybe this "Great Panic" is waning.

Anyway, Bob has lots of 9mm, 40SW, 45ACP. No .380Auto. Little 10mm. Lots of blue box .223 and .308 etc.

As we discussed the other day, maybe people aren't buying his ammo because it's useless to make the trip for 50 rounds. I am sure a big chunk of Bob's business is from those who are outside of Plainfield.

On the flip side, he's just gonna keep getting ammo in while still imposing his one box limit, so ultimately, he'll be able to rasie that limit at some point, which is a good thing..

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    As we discussed the other day, maybe people aren't buying his ammo because it's useless to make the trip for 50 rounds. I am sure a big chunk of Bob's business is from those who are outside of Plainfield.

On the flip side, he's just gonna keep getting ammo in while still imposing his one box limit, so ultimately, he'll be able to rasie that limit at some point, which is a good thing..
    Whatever.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Whatever.

Like I said the other day, some of us aren't in Plainfield. And many of us aren't looking for ammo that any gun store is willing to sell by the case, so again I say.... What's the point of going in for 50 rounds of ammo?

I know he's just doing it temporarily, and I don't have a problem with him running his business how he sees fit. but I'm sure he knows and understands he's losing some business right now while he's limiting so low.

Having said that, I'm not holding a grudge - he's doing it his way, and that's okay. Once he raises his limit, which he will (no doubt once he's got a lot of ammo in) I look forward to spending the money for gas, and taking the hour long drive to go back in and buy from him.

Don't take it personally or the wrong way rmcrob. It just doesn't make financial sense for anyone outside of Plainfield or the west side of Indy to spend the gas to go buy one box at a time.

Last edited:

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I understand. Just because I posted about the ammo Bob has available doesn't mean I would expect you to drive from Crawfordsville for a box of it. Did you know that some people DO live in or near Plainfield?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana

he waves the limit if you purchase a $1000+ gun....

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    but I'm sure he knows and understands he's losing some business right now while he's limiting so low.

I doubt it. I have heard lots of gun shops were not even selling ammo unless you purchased a pistol. They were not losing business, guns sales have been through the roof. I find it hard to believe any gun store, especially an established place like Plainfield is hurting. I live on the opposite side of Indy and of course I wouldn't head over there for ammo, but then again I am just not in the market for a $500+ gun. At first I thought the skyrocketing gun sales were due to gun people just buying more and stocking them deep. Well, every news article I read has quotes from people indicating they are first time buyers. I have heard this a lot. While you may be the type of gun guy that goes and buys a few guns a month, you have been replaced by people (at least in the short term) buy the new buyer.

Don't take it personally or the wrong way rmcrob. It just doesn't make financial sense for anyone outside of Plainfield or the west side of Indy to spend the gas to go buy one box at a time.

I read the other post where you complained about Bob. Your posts read as if you are taking it personally. I am sure if Bob magically saw a 50% drop in gun sales, he would change things up. Given how quickly ammo is being sold at Walmart, Dicks, and Meijer, in all sides of Indy, I have no doubts that between Plainfield, Avon, Camby, and the SW metro Indy area in general, there are plenty of people who will go in and buy a box at a time if that is all that is available.

ccordray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009

I think the one box limit applies, so you have to buy a box or a case.

I scored a case of Federal XM193 for $250. They also have boxes of 20 for $10, so same price per round. I think I bought the next to last case and another guy bought the last while I was there.

Inquiring minds want to know.

He may have the ammo but he wouldn't sell it to me. I told him I'd like to buy a box of .380 Gold Dot's and he said "Yeah, only if you're buying a f'n gun pal." Guess he doesn't want to sell it that badly. While I understand that he's in a bit of a bind with ammo supplies, you don't have to be an ass about it. It wasn't like I was asking for it for free.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Tried to buy some from him yesterday, but by the time we got to Plainfield on the way back to C-ville, they were closed. Rats. Maybe we'll catch him next weekend.

Cathy needs to expand her .45 inventory. I've got small pistol primers to load my 9mm, I just need to get some bullets. Also need Lee .45 ACP dies.

The selection of stores with decent reloading supplies around here really sucks. Wonder how much it costs to open my own?

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I doubt it. I have heard lots of gun shops were not even selling ammo unless you purchased a pistol. They were not losing business, guns sales have been through the roof. I find it hard to believe any gun store, especially an established place like Plainfield is hurting. I live on the opposite side of Indy and of course I wouldn't head over there for ammo, but then again I am just not in the market for a $500+ gun. At first I thought the skyrocketing gun sales were due to gun people just buying more and stocking them deep. Well, every news article I read has quotes from people indicating they are first time buyers. I have heard this a lot. While you may be the type of gun guy that goes and buys a few guns a month, you have been replaced by people (at least in the short term) buy the new buyer.

I never said he's hurting. I said he's losing business. As arrogant as it sounds, I have NOT been replaced. He has lost one sale to me this past week. He might have gotten some newbies in, but he's still sold one less gun than he would have had he sold me 200 rounds of ammo to go with it. Again, don't take it the wrong way; it's okay; I just couldn't justify the purchase of this particular gun at this time. With no added benefit of buying from him (ie. buying ammo to go with my new gun) there was just no reason to spend a little more money for "personal service". Instead, I got the gun online through Bud's for $50 less, and took that money and bought ammo elsewhere. In theory, my first range trip will be free with the money I saved.

I read the other post where you complained about Bob. Your posts read as if you are taking it personally. I am sure if Bob magically saw a 50% drop in gun sales, he would change things up. Given how quickly ammo is being sold at Walmart, Dicks, and Meijer, in all sides of Indy, I have no doubts that between Plainfield, Avon, Camby, and the SW metro Indy area in general, there are plenty of people who will go in and buy a box at a time if that is all that is available.

I'm sorry if that's how you read my posts. It's not personal, but it IS complaining. Just like he complains to me that "The whole industry is out" as it relates to guns he can't get.

It's not that people won't come in and buy his ammo, as you're right, there are plenty of people who will come in for one box. It's that he's driving SOME people away. Some people aren't as understanding of the situation. If I go in and buy a $500 gun, I might understand that he wants to run a low limit. "Joe Blow" behind me who spends $800 might get super pissed about not being able to shoot more than 50 rounds and never go back. Or he might just say forget it altogether. Or he might come here and let everyone know about his limit (or lack of selling it altogether - see other post above where he wouldn't sell it at all unless buying a gun) and many people won't go in just from reading the post here about it.

I on the other hand, will wait it out. I like Bob, and once he has more stock in and raises his limit, I'll be back. It's not personal; not a grudge. Just a financial decision on my part.

The point is this; while he's imposing a low limit, there are no doubt people who are looking into the alternatives. Since he's posted his one box limit, I have purchased 1,250 rounds of 9mm while saving almost $100 on it buying from Wal-Mart. He has made me check Wal-Mart more, and I've been able to find plenty of all the ammo I'm looking for - at better prices than ANY gun store (not just PSS)

Also, if people look into the alternatives, they might look into Bradis for example. Bradis has more handgun selection (arguably) and someone might go in there and be "wowed" by their service and never look back.

Ultimately, you don't turn away people by not selling your products to them when you have them in stock.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip
    Ultimately, you don't turn away people by not selling your products to them when you have them in stock.

You don't keep customers by never having any stock after speculators have bought it all up, and resold or traded it for a profit, either. I saw another post of yours where you recommend someone buy up all a shop's ammo and trade it off. These kind of tactics, creating a shortage to create a false profit, is part of the current ammo problem, and it is why I support the gun stores who have implemented limits to fight it. I'll continue to buy from Bob and another kind of local gunstore that has ammo, which I won't name to keep you or someone else from buying it as trade fodder, and I'll support them after this crap is over with because these are the stores that are doing what they can to end the current issues.

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    You don't keep customers by never having any stock after speculators have bought it all up, and resold or traded it for a profit, either. I saw another post of yours where you recommend someone buy up all a shop's ammo and trade it off. These kind of tactics, creating a shortage to create a false profit, is part of the current ammo problem, and it is why I support the gun stores who have implemented limits to fight it. I'll continue to buy from Bob and another kind of local gunstore that has ammo, which I won't name to keep you or someone else from buying it as trade fodder, and I'll support them after this crap is over with because these are the stores that are doing what they can to end the current issues.
    :+1:

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Bob has RARELY been out of stock, even with his two box limit. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't been in there much lately. Aside from .380 and .38 special, he's had most everything in stock (handgun calibers anyway)

That "other post" of mine where I told him to buy it all was because the guy had a BRAND NEW gun he can't shoot because he doesn't have ammo. I told him to buy the 380 and trade it because if he can't find 9mm in stores, he can trade the 380 and get the ammo he needs, again, to shoot his brand new gun.

With all due respect, you have NO idea what I'm doing with the ammo I've bought. You'll find no classifieds from me looking to make a false profit. You'll find no trade classifieds either. Look through the classifieds and then tell me again what kind of person I am. I've actually bought over a thousand rounds for other INGO members in the past week, selling it to them for the exact price I paid at Wal-Mart, because they would have had no chance to get in and buy the ammo as it sells so fast.

And with you not naming places you buy your ammo "so me or someone else" doesn't buy it all up is pretty much exactly like me going in and buying it all anyway. You want to keep it for yourself, and not let others know of your "stash."

This has been debated many times here. If you want to call me a hoarder, I'm okay with that. I hoard what I can find at a good price. But I'm keeping it, sir, using it myself - or selling it to other INGO members for what I paid so that they can get theirs.

As for Bob and his business decision, we agree to disagree. I think a one box limit from a store who isn't running out is not good for business. You clearly think it is and will continue to buy one box at a time from Bob.

As for the theory that you don't keep customers by NOT having the stock, because people have bought it all up, I think people would understand why PSS didn't have a particular ammo in stock, considering the current situation with ammo.

Isn't it nice to live in America so that we can all make our own decisions on where to shop? :patriot:

slowmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indy area

+1 This is basically sums up my feelings on the shortage and limits. Bob is on my way home from work. I will continue to buy from him as long as he has stock and competitive prices. Prices, stock, and limits will not improve until people lose the mentality that they have to buy every box of ammo they see, and they stop buying ammo so that they can mark it up for a profit.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    So you see, chasekerion4, that I was writing my post as information for people like Joe and slowmo. It's ok to ignore posts on INGO that don't apply to you. Really, it is, and we would actually prefer it.

Top Bottom