• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Not looking to bash any one or troll so to speak, but I am looking at purchasing a Bersa thunder 380 and have not purchased at either store so I was wondering if any one had any experience with either good bad or indifferent thanks. Just wanted to know which would be better option for customer service

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    For CS Blythe's for sure.
    Cabelas does what they can but they're almost always busier than a one armed paper hanger.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Not looking to bash any one or troll so to speak, but I am looking at purchasing a Bersa thunder 380 and have not purchased at either store so I was wondering if any one had any experience with either good bad or indifferent thanks. Just wanted to know which would be better option for customer service

I've purchased at Cabela's in Hammond, IN and despite being a bit crowded that day, once I got my turn the guy behind the counter was helpful and patient. He knew his business and was able to answer all my questions and then some.

I ended up with an HK P30 in .40 S&W so it was a good day all around. :)

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Ether one you can't go wrong. Blythes has been local for 90+ years ,Cabelas has also been around for a while .I have had good C.S. at both places

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I cannot comment on Blythe's in Valpo, but everytime I go into the Griffith store they look at me like I'm some sort of bug or something they just stepped in.
    Having said that, Cabela's sucks too.
    Try Westforth

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Never been to Blythe's but have heard mostly good things about them.

I've always enjoyed Cabela's there in Hammond and have had good service and decent prices on things I've bought there. Like any of the big box stores you just have to buy things on sale or that you can't find anywhere else. :twocents:

StumpyPete

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    NW Indiana
    If it means anything to anyone, Blythe's is a sponsor on this board. They're good guys that give decent advice. Plus they have a good layaway plan if you see something you want and don't have your $$$ available.

Spector188

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    NWI
    For me I find it's kinda hit or miss with Blythes in Griffith. Sometimes they are nice and sometimes they look at you like your an idiot. I do however believe that supporting the LGS is good for local business economy. Additionally I usually find Blythes will have a slightly better price than Cabelas.

OIIIIIO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Haven't been to Blythes since the gun shop was downstairs in the back. Went last month after the gun show and and was pleasantly surprised.

Handled a few guns and got great customer service even though they were really busy. Went back a couple weeks later and bought a gun. Again, good price and great service.

Gotta like Cabellas. I have had good customer service there also, just don't get there that often, long drive and high gas prices.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I would go to Blythe's in Valpo or Griffith. Every time I go to either location the staff is always friendly to me, they are very knowledgeable about all types of firearms, they will answer any questions about any firearm you want, and for me whenever I ask at either store they are always negotiable on their prices. Cabela's is not negotiating right now because of dwindling stock.
    I would recommend the Valpo Store at the moment. They have a little more inventory than the Griffith store. If you buy from them you can test out the pistol at the range there.
    If you go to the Griffith one ask for Bryan. If you go the Valpo one ask for David.
    If you go to Westforth ask for Dave or Alex. They are the most knowledgeable there.

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I've usually had good experiences with Blythe's but have bought from both. If Blythe's doesn't have what you are looking for or can't get it at a decent price then by all means go elsewhere.

Here's what I've advised others since I believe in supporting local people but I'm also looking for the best deal. Go to Cabela's and see if they have what you are looking for and note the price then go to Blythe's. They really aren't that far apart, at least the Griffith store. If Blythe's has it but at a higher price tell them to match or beat Cabela's. If they don't, oh well. If they are cheaper then still see if you can get them to come down a bit. ;)

If both have it at a similar price point I will support the local buisiness. You must also take into consideration the service aspect.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Someone sent me a pm and I want to make it absolutely clear, my experience has been with GRIFFITH Blythes'. I have never been to the Valpo store, but have heard nothing but good things about them, and they have held 2 INGO shoots there this last winter.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    I bought my Beretta at Blythe's in Griffith. While I will admit they weren't exactly welcoming I did get the gun I wanted for a decent price.

The Valpo guys seem to be more willing to ask you if you need help, where as the Griffith crew makes it seem like work to get waited on.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Define what you mean by customer service? :dunno:

You looking for a knowledgeable staff on the products they sell?
    You looking for what type of service/support you can expect after the sale?
    You looking to haggle on price?
    You looking for a staff that has fired said gun in question?

You are lucky to be on INGO and part of NWI as we have 3 members in NWI INGO that work in 3 of our area stores.

Blythe's in Valpo (Sadclownwp works there)
    Cabela's (lowendgenerator works there)
    Westforth (subtlesixer03 works there)

List shops in our area
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...i_ingo_general_post_part_4_a.html#post3615172

PM those members for more info. Not saying they can get you a "better" deal but they all know their stuff and do NOT work on commission nor will they try to sell you something just to sell you something.

My personal experience is with

Deb's Gun Range (Hammond), Bylthe's (Valpo) and Blythe's (Griffith).

If you are a completely newbie and have no one to show you how to use a gun go with Deb's. They are more expensive then the rest but they can order you whatever you want and will spend a few hours with you showing you how to use your gun, disassemble, re-assemble, and give you 2 hours free range time. I went this route with my 1st handgun and feel that the extra money was well worth it. This was before I knew of INGO or had any friends that had guns.

Bylthe's (Valpo) is A++ in my book. I have only been there 3 times but each time the staff says hi, asks if you need any help, shows you whatever you want to see, answers question until you are blue in the face, you can put stuff on a payment plan, and off course they have an in-door range that is nice. I got my 1st rifle from them.

Bylthe's (Griffith) :puke:! When I went looking for my first rifle the treated me like I was some 3rd class citizen who was bothering them asking for an AK. This was back in fall of 2008. They had a few AKs on the racks and I had a few questions about them. The shop had just a few customers (on a wed afternoon) and the staff just ignored me. I took the AK up to the counter and wanted to know if the mag would take a double stack magazine, if it was 922 compliant NOT counting the magazine, if they had more mags for it and the guy at the counter just walked away! :(

Mine you I was nervous as heck since I had never touched a rifle and did not know much about an AR, AK, etc. It was a customer in the store that told me to go to the valpo store and I would like it more. Drove that same day to Valpo and walked out with my AK later that day and magazines and ammo. A complete 180 degree different experience!

I later found out that while the stores carry the same name they are run by 2 brothers and it appears each brother does what he wants with their store (ie. sale in one store are not in the other, inventory in one is not know by the other, etc.)

If you have questions dont' be afraid to ask us.
    Also join our NWI INGO social group (see links in my sig)
    We also have an upcoming event at the end of MARCH, again see my sig.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Worse gun buying experience ever at Cabala's. Its a long story but i would buy a gun from a thug on the streets of chicago before buying from Cabala's. On the other side i've bought 5 guns off Blythes without a problem!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I bought two guns at Blythe's Valpo a few months ago. Looked at them on Saturday, got a price quote, looked elsewhere to compare, went back Monday and did the deal- in an out in about 20 minutes. The customer service was great. I talked to different people on either day and both were friendly and helpful.

I was looking at an M&P Shield and 9c as well as an M&P 22, Walther P22 and Ruger SR22. They talked them over with me, let me handle them all, and never really pushed me toward anything. I went with the 9c and M&P 22.

Top Bottom