• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    If you live in Btown, you probably know about this place. It's on W. 3RD St next to Bell's Exhaust, and his store sign is a giant piece of plywood with the word GUNS spray painted on it. The guy that owns it has had a potpourri of things to supplement his "gun shop". Leather shop, window tinting, Neon car accessories, and various other stuff. He always has a small selection of stuff on hand, and he used to have a day job at GE, so his hours were very random.

His name is Gary Butcher.

I was at Wal-Mart tonight, and I saw a brand new Ford F-250 cargo van parked in front with 333-GUNS in HUGE lettering on the sides and back. He also had it stickered to say 10% over cost any gun.

Now, with that said, has anyone in Bloomington or surrounding area dealt with him, and how did it go? I bought my first AR from him, and also an AK a few years ago. I haven't stopped in there for awhile, because his stock is so limited, that I can order from Buds cheaper than I can order from him.

I just wondered if he was going full time since GE closed?

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I thought he "went out of business" there was a sign saying he was GOING out of business on his "guns" sign on W. 3rd last Summer/Fall. I haven't been by that part of 3rd street since then so I don't know if anything changed.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    gary is out there thats for sure and I always thought he was a little shady just by the clientele and weapon quality whenever I have been in. the guns used to be a side thing until his auto stuff went downhill. his fees leave something to be desired to. I would go with buds, I've bought guns from them numerous times and all had fantastic prices.:twocents:

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I thought he "went out of business" there was a sign saying he was GOING out of business on his "guns" sign on W. 3rd last Summer/Fall. I haven't been by that part of 3rd street since then so I don't know if anything changed.
    He told me that. But tonight I saw that brand new van at Wally World, so he is up to something.

gary is out there thats for sure and I always thought he was a little shady just by the clientele and weapon quality whenever I have been in. the guns used to be a side thing until his auto stuff went downhill. his fees leave something to be desired to. I would go with buds, I've bought guns from them numerous times and all had fantastic prices.:twocents:

I have bought from Buds on numerous occasions. We are without a good gun store here. It's really disappointing.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've got a buddy that deals with him from time to time and gets along with him. Gary is not my cup o tea. He's always been nice to me and willing to deal, he's just not had much that I'm interested in and the other stuff detracts from the guns.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    He's a little out there for sure. Had an AR sent there a year and a half or so back. I think he always has a going out of business sale going on. Prices seem a bit high, but he cant move much volume. Nice, but transfers were $20 a gun, no matter what. Bit of a kook, but nice.

I will say though that the other guy he has work with him is a bit shady, I believe he has some sort of mental disability though. Seemed a little "slow". When I called a couple times and went in there, it was brought up that he couldn't do the guns side of the business. Peaked my interest and i ended up finding the dude on the sex offender registry in Bloomington, assume it had to do with that. Nuts.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I'd so love to buy that Marsh store on South Walnut and turn it into a super gun store. :rockwoot:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I will say though that the other guy he has work with him is a bit shady, I believe he has some sort of mental disability though. Seemed a little "slow". When I called a couple times and went in there, it was brought up that he couldn't do the guns side of the business. Peaked my interest and i ended up finding the dude on the sex offender registry in Bloomington, assume it had to do with that. Nuts.

I stopped in there one time. Met that "slow" guy who couldn't do anything but sit there and watch while the owner was out. Kid seemed like a total doo bag. I couldn't believe any one with any sense would leave him alone in the store. I wrote the whole place off and never went back.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I went to that place some time ago. I was looking very seriously and unsuccessfully, for a XD9SC. He was going to get me one. Said he would call me. After no call, I went back. He had lost my info. He took it again, but never a cal one way or the other. I stopped going there after that.--finally got my XD at the gun show in Lafayette. Just my experience.

BtownBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Bloomington
    Not bad for a museum, and at his prices, ain't much danger of stuff moving quickly. Owner seems nice enough, and has been more than fair on a couple of guns I needed to sell, quickly, over the years, though.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Completely different place. Stewart's was downtown, near the square. This place is on the west side on 3rd street just east of Hwy 37.

Thanks for the quick response. Used to hang out at Stewerts along time ago.Was curious if it was still around. His place was simular to a museum as described above.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    If he's not on GE lay off he eventually will be. I've bought some items there but no guns. Never know what mood he'll be in or what price he'll want. He wanted to gig me on a Kel-Tec 22 more than 100 over MSRP and that was my last excursion to his Gun Galleria. Going out of business one day and the next ? The weired dude is a trip and cannot sell you much of anything and definitely cannot show you or sell you any firearms. I no longer waste my time looking there :dunno:

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Thanks for the quick response. Used to hang out at Stewerts along time ago.Was curious if it was still around. His place was simular to a museum as described above.
    I think Stewarts is now down at "Becks Crossing" which is essentially Fairfax/S. Walnut St. intersection.

Top Bottom