• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I wonder if anyone else has run into this at the UPS customer center on Liberty Drive.

I was shipping off a gun to Robar and had it all packed up nice and made sure I read UPS policy on their requirements. When I presented the package to the lady at the counter, she said that she needed to see a hard copy of Robar's FFL. Of course I didn't have it since I read their policy and didn't see that listed ANYWHERE.

Since I took time out of my work day to make this trip out to their facility, I was pretty miffed. I got on the phone to Robar and the gentleman at the other end very quickly e-mailed a PDF copy of their FFL to me after a brief discussion about him never hearing of such a thing and it not being their policy. I had it before I left the UPS store, but she insisted it be a hard copy.

So, I drive home, print out a copy and return it. THEN she complains about how the ATF seal is covering up part of the address and she can't verify for certain that the address I gave her is the same. I told her to take that up with the Federal Government and I did exactly as she requested even though it wasn't anywhere to be found on the UPS policy. She finally relented and deemed it within her powers to do me a favor and ship my handgun.

Thank God for kind people like her willing to bend the non-existent policy to help out a customer! :rolleyes:

The truly sad part is that UPS is the best of a very short list of common carriers civies can ship handguns through. I think these Federal regs need to change and change NOW.:ranton:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    WIth UPS in Bloomington it really depends on who you get at the counter. I ship a lot through there and have shipped some guns and have always had a hard copy of the FFL, it's just easier that way. I'm not going to name names there but one of the women who works at the counter is a real <alternate name for a female dog>. The others are pretty cool.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I hear these horror stories all the time regarding both UPS and Fedex.

A friend of mine shipped off a 1911 to get some serious smithing done on it, and dropped it off at UPS all boxed up and didn't even disclose it was a firearm. He insured it for the appropriate value, but he just didn't disclose it was a firearm due to the hassle he's had in the past. Plus, one would think the $10 hr employee across the counter might be more inclined to sneak a peek at a box which had all the firearm disclosure stickers all over it.

Not condoning breaking federal laws or anything...just stating how he did it this last time.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    WIth UPS in Bloomington it really depends on who you get at the counter. I ship a lot through there and have shipped some guns and have always had a hard copy of the FFL, it's just easier that way. I'm not going to name names there but one of the women who works at the counter is a real <alternate name for a female dog>. The others are pretty cool.

^^^ I second this. I have yet to have a problem shipping with them, but some personnel are far more facilitating than others. My shipments are dealer to dealer so that might make a difference, but I've never been asked to present a copy of any license - mine or the receivers.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Not to continue to *****, but another thing that got me was when I came back in and walked to the counter, the phone rang just as I got there and she went to answer the phone. I hate that, but it seems to be pretty pervasive in the "service" industry. It amazes me how a paying customer in the store takes second place to a phone call.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Just tell them to get online and use EZ check. Of course you will have to provide part of the ffl number.
    But at least they might feel safer knowing it is verified with the ATF.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Sorry for my ignorance on the location, but is this a UPS Store or the actual UPS facility's Customer Counter?? I'm assuming it was the Counter.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    buddy of mine just shipped 1 monday up there and she asked for the FFl and he said it was in the box...she said ok and away it went...:dunno:

Top Bottom