• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • suzgsxr1300

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Noblesville
    Made sure we had gas in the cars and got some stuff for Rice Krispie Treats (thought the kids would enjoy making them tomorrow). Oh, and some wine for the party we are planning next Friday.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I had a few surprises. In August, I changed jobs and moved back home, in part to look after grandma. Much of my work was digging appropriate preps out of storage, but I also had to invest in a propane tank, propane, and a heater. I hadn't bothered with these as before I lived adjacent to my place of work and had I needed them, I simply would have walked over to the shop and rounded up what I needed.

I also had to buy charcoal for my Saffire grill (very similar to a BGE, bought shortly before the move, hence not yet used--and the Traeger requires electricity) which I had not done out of the combination of having been too busy and planning to make my own from wood (apparatus is at least 90% complete) which had been snowed on the last time and soaked wet before I had a chance to cut up any wood. Needless to say, the prospect of making do without electricity has cast a long shadow over my thinking.

I also dug out the forced air kerosene heater and a couple of electric heaters in case the electricity does not fail but the furnace fails to keep up with the demands made on it. Picking up some extra flour, yeast, fresh fruit, cheese, and sausage was in order in addition to smiling as I considered the more storage-friendly foods I had on hand. I figure grandma and I can survive nicely with pizza as a bonus to the regular menu.

Then again, it may turn out all to be much ado about nothing.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Most of my prepping food wise was already done, supply wise already had. I did get out the beeswax candles, wool blankets, fur hides in case of power outages. Although I don't think it'll be as bad as some people are making it, the main worry is the impending cold and outside vehicles. A frozen engine is expensive.

9MillSBR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think im going to install my new T8s in the garage and change the oil in the cars tomorrow. Gotta stay productive while the world ends in the white stuff!

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Monthly trip for perishables today. Walmart Valpo at 2:30 was a madhouse. Forgot there was a storm coming or would have waited to go until after the storm. ALDI jacked milk to $2.40/gal, WM had it at $2.55/gal. Cheese at ALDI jacked from $1.49/8 oz. to $1.79/8 oz., so from $3/lb. to $3.60/lb. WM had it even higher, at LEAST $4.15-4.20/lb. WM ran out of bananas. Literally bought the last useable banana in the store. Juice was severely depleted. 91% isopropanol quarts GONE. Makes me wonder how bad things up here will get once places like WM can't get re-supplied within 48 hrs. Removed battery from car to ensure the water in the sulfuric acid doesn't freeze and bust the plastic battery casing. Shovelled the drive. Checked supplies. Baked a few loaves of bread and some sourdough bread bowls. Made sure faucets on drip. Ready to rock and roll.

Last edited:

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    mrjarrell and I frequent the same Meijer store. We hit it today but just for the typical staples we buy on the weekend, no "White Death 2014" prepping needed. I did want pepperoni, though. I'm still miffed that all the pepperoni was gone. Freaking animals!!! Beyond that I did make sure there was enough beer, booze, and junk food just in case...

My deal is with all these idiots buying 5 and 6 gallons of milk for the potential of a family of 3 being stuck indoors for a few days. Really? They drink that much milk? Maybe they need a lactose intervention.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Oh wait, I did pick up a Korean diplomat for my dogs to eat in case they were hungry and we ran out of dog food.

PS - if you don't get the reference check the news once in a while.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    With the cold that coming (more than the snow predicted), I am planning on being home with the kids on Monday and Tuesday, so we've stocked up on 'kids stuff' more than anything!

Main items: milk, OJ, eggs, bread, cereal, cookies (yup...tasty snack), pizza (fb games), soups (mainly for me), etc. With some new games (Christmas gifts) yet to be learned and played...it'll be a great time...lookin' forward to it!

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I will be making a spiral ham with a praline/peach glaze, fixing things around the inside of the house and enjoying the company of my better half. Life is GOOD>

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Our prepping involved getting our weekly gallon of milk and the already needed loaf of bread. Cars were over 3/4 full, so no change there (they are parked in the garage). Got supplies for a house project I've been needing to get done. (Discovered door on new gun safe is not aligned properly ... Monday = phone calls).

Our water meter should be below ground, as I have not seen it on the house. The front yard has a water cover in it -- never looked there, but elsewhere in the country I've seen the meters with the city shut-off. House is on a slab, so water lines should be good. All electricity is buried in the neighborhood, so that should be good.

Sigh. My biggest concern? Will the school turn the heat on early enough for the building to warm back up after 2 weeks of no occupancy settings? (We are scheduled to return tomorrow -- yea, right)

Already shoveled once, as I went to get the paper and discovered how heavy the snow is. So I'll do that a couple of times today to keep the overall chore from being too bad.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    One thing I always do if very cold temps are expected is to shovel some snow over all my crawl space vents. That way, if the power does go out, it'll help keep the pipes from freezing.

The crawl space vents in my house don't close very well and even if they did, covering them with snow helps keep in the heat. Then it's easy enough to dig them out later when things start to thaw. I never like to keep them permanently closed all winter, because I figure I want some ventilation to keep things dry.

100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    I got extra bag of dog food, filled the gas cans and filled the trucks tanks. Made me very happy that I only needed a few things for bad weather.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    diesel...for the gen.....have plenty of food and have 6 ricks next to the boiler.....i'm set.....

better get the brass monkeys in tonight and tomorrow!!!!!!

Top Bottom