• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I've been looking for a SHTF vest setup to buy. I looked around and found a plate carrier that looks to function well. I don't plan on buying armor yet, I have plenty of other things on the list first. I'd like to run maybe 4 pistol mags, 8 AR mags, a quality knife, and a first aid kit. Probably a few other things. Let me know what you guys think...

Get your BlackHawk S.T.R.I.K.E. Cutaway Tactical Armor Vest plus a FREE HAT at LA Police Gear today! LA Police Gear has a huge selection of Blackhawk Tactical Vests and Blackhawk Armor for the lowest prices.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I think Blackhawk is extremely overpriced. I would go over to SKD and check out their plate carriers. I am looking at one from Condor over there. Condor makes the SPC for the marine corps and that is nice. those run about $400 or more (usually) because as a civilian you cant buy them from any business. Sometimes you can find one on ebay, but other eagle PCs would probably fit your bill.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Just recently I started considering a BlackHawk Omega cross draw pistol mag vest instead of my GI issue ALICE belt/suspender rig with a Bianchi M12 holster, which I really like. What I found was not all vests are created equal and fit differently depending on how your body frame is. I liked the BlackHawk vest with sidedraw. It's ventilated enough for hot climate and seems well built. It's a bit pricey but it's made in the USA.

Carrying "weight" is a real problem regardless of the rig. Add on a rifle (AR, AK, etc.) and you become off balance if using over the shoulder sling. A tactical rifle scabbard is on my radar but it's just one more thing to deal with.

The plus of a vest in winter/cold weather is that the whole thing can be concealed under a good sized winter parka but access will be limited in a time of immediate need. Another plus to a vest/parka setup is the ammo will be kept warm and dry. A light field jacket would serve the same purpose in warmer months.

My ALICE rig can be used on the outside of a parka but nothing is concealed, kept dry or warm and was originally intended for battle, not survival, which could be the same thing. As for the plate carrier type vest, man that's a lot of weight to add but I understand. If you have a local milsurp store that carries armored vests, go try one on and walk around the store. Now think about adding all the other crap. You just easily took on 30 + pounds. Now add a full frame backpack + 3 days survival content and that 10 mile hike will take on a whole new meaning. :noway:

If you have a 50 pound child or something similar, go take a hike somewhere and see how far you get with them/it on your back. Less is more and I'm still looking for a good solution too. It's not easy and bugging out in my opinion will be the absolute last resort to save my skin.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I've been looking for a SHTF vest setup to buy. I looked around and found a plate carrier that looks to function well. I don't plan on buying armor yet, I have plenty of other things on the list first. I'd like to run maybe 4 pistol mags, 8 AR mags, a quality knife, and a first aid kit. Probably a few other things. Let me know what you guys think...

I think:

1) If you're going to run a plate carrier, run it with armor as it was intended. Completely changes the fit and feel of the rig. My PC without plates and soft armor was loose and "slippery," even when adjusted as snug as it would go. Added the armor package and ta-da! Perfect fit and function.

2) You're planning on carrying WAY too much stuff on the vest/chest rig, IMO, especially when you factor in armor. If you really think you'll need that much ammo, you might consider moving some of it to a complementing War Belt or subload(s).

3) Blackhawk gear is decent quality, but generally overpriced for what you get, and the vast majority of it is foreign-made if that's an issue to you.

Last edited:

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    I think Blackhawk is extremely overpriced. I would go over to SKD and check out their plate carriers. I am looking at one from Condor over there. Condor makes the SPC for the marine corps and that is nice. those run about $400 or more (usually) because as a civilian you cant buy them from any business. Sometimes you can find one on ebay, but other eagle PCs would probably fit your bill.

Condor makes what for the marine corps..? I've gotta see this.

I own HSGI and Tactical Tailor. I wouldn't trust Condor with my uncle' s neighbor' s cousin's brother's mailmen's dog.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Condor makes what for the marine corps..? I've gotta see this.

I own HSGI and Tactical Tailor. I wouldn't trust Condor with my uncle' s neighbor' s cousin's brother's mailmen's dog.

Sorry eagle makes the spc

I'm looking at an eagle, never meant to say condor

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Make sure if you buy blackhawk you buy the front and back at the same time, as they have like four generations of buckles and fit. I found this out the hard way and their customer service sucked...their answer was buy another back piece.

Also I have soft armor and plates and I run 3 pouches for my M16 mags that hold 4 each, 12 total. It is a little heavy, but I still jog with it. :)

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Sorry eagle makes the spc

I'm looking at an eagle, never meant to say condor

Ohhh Okay :) I was gonna say...woah.
    Sorry if I came off the wrong way..

Eagle is some good stuff. I would trust my life to it, dangling off a cliff.

Personally, can I recommend the HSGI weesatch? I think you'd be satisfied.
    It will hold 8 AR-mags with ease.

HSGI Weesatch Plate Carrier at SKD Tactical

I got mine for $180, not sure where though..I'll look around if you want

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Priority seems whacked

You buy a carrier, but no plate, then spend your $$$ on tools
    you may be unable to use after being only shot once ??

Get your BlackHawk S.T.R.I.K.E. Cutaway Tactical Armor Vest plus a FREE HAT at LA Police Gear today! LA Police Gear has a huge selection of Blackhawk Tactical Vests and Blackhawk Armor for the lowest prices.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Ohhh Okay :) I was gonna say...woah.
    Sorry if I came off the wrong way..

Eagle is some good stuff. I would trust my life to it, dangling off a cliff.

Personally, can I recommend the HSGI weesatch? I think you'd be satisfied.
    It will hold 8 AR-mags with ease.

HSGI Weesatch Plate Carrier at SKD Tactical

I got mine for $180, not sure where though..I'll look around if you want

My plan is to use the Eagle PC with the HSGI TACO mag pouches so I can set the carrier up for either AK or AR work and Glock or 1911 (or XD or ruger p90 etc) work. I like the idea of having the ability to have on carrier that I can train with and just swap out mags to use with whatever I want at the time. I am willing to pay a little more for that feature.

I was thinking 6 rifle mags, 2 pistol mags, medium med pouch, medium GP pouch, and hydration system on the PC. And 1 rifle mag, 2 pistol mags, small med pouch, collapsible dump pouch, and secondary weapon on the belt rig. (I figure if I don't grab the belt first, it's cause the pistol is already on my daily carry belt)

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    2) You're planning on carrying WAY too much stuff on the vest/chest rig, IMO, especially when you factor in armor. If you really think you'll need that much ammo, you might consider moving some of it to a complementing War Belt or subload(s).

I disagree. A knife, mags, and first aid isn't too much for a vest at all, especially one with the added support of armor. I think 6 pistol mags may be unnecessary, and the space and weight could be better utilized, but to each his own.

That said, I love and use the warbelt system. Its a great way to spreadload the weight, and also to keep the critical components on you at all times or in case the vest is dumped. Its definitely worth taking a look at a combo system.

Regarding the OP directly though, if you already have soft armor I'm wondering if its just the square panels that fit any hard armor carrier, or if its, say, a second chance vest that will be worn in conjunction with the Molle rig. If that were the case, look into molle Vests as well, and for anything watch Botach for some deals.

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    My plan is to use the Eagle PC with the HSGI TACO mag pouches so I can set the carrier up for either AK or AR work and Glock or 1911 (or XD or ruger p90 etc) work. I like the idea of having the ability to have on carrier that I can train with and just swap out mags to use with whatever I want at the time. I am willing to pay a little more for that feature.

I was thinking 6 rifle mags, 2 pistol mags, medium med pouch, medium GP pouch, and hydration system on the PC. And 1 rifle mag, 2 pistol mags, small med pouch, collapsible dump pouch, and secondary weapon on the belt rig. (I figure if I don't grab the belt first, it's cause the pistol is already on my daily carry belt)

The HSGI Weesatch can run any mags you want *I misread your post, thought you meant the FN PS90, not the Ruger hangun.. will continue on anyway* PS90, AK, AR. To run PS90 all you really need is a tiny bungee chord, approx the size of paracord. 1/8 diameter.

Regardless, if money is not a factor, the Eagle PC + HSGI Taco pouches sounds like a great option! Practically indestructible, and very adaptable, both are desirable for SHTF.

Don't forget that you may want to pick up a Hydration Carrier to strap on your back. I believe Pantac makes some good affordable stuff that is still of superior construction to Condor.

Top Bottom