• ...and so much more!
  • Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    Morning Gent's and Ladies
    Back in the early 60s (62) to be exact a well know gunsmith in our area made a #47 caliber percussion pistol #11 for my dad. I never fired it because it scared me. The kit and instructions from the maker for care and firing and all still with it. To my knowledge it hasn't been fired since the early 70s. (Until recently) I have fired it a little in fond memory of my great dad. I will give all the info I have and I am sure comments will follow.?

2 ea 16 oz cans (red and white) Dupont black rifle powder. FFFg.
    1 ea Lyman Ideal Bullet mold in the original orange and black box interestingly has metal reinforced corners. With instructions.
    1 ea fiber on one end metal on the other with a spare rubber end hammer.
    1ea glass pickle jar with oiled patch's (not oiled since the early 70s) Do they need re oiled and how to correctly?
    1 small round white can of 100 ea. Remington percussion caps. Early 70s I am guessing.
    1 small approx. 8 oz Gulf oil can. Gulf hasn't been around here in decades.
    1 Planters peanut can full of round lead balls.

The instructions from the maker say use 30 grains of powder per shot although proof tested with 60 grains. Is there any issue with using what might be 40 year old powder? 30 or 40 year old percussion caps?

I remember as a kid sitting at the downstairs fireplace and melting down wheel weights and using the ball maker mold.

Any thoughts on any of this? Qualified guidance is always welcome:-)

Morgan88

I am trying to add photos but I keep getting a upload failed error message.

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    In the old days, wheel weights were close to pure lead. More modern weights have antimony and possibly tin in the mix which will make the balls harder and less than ideal for your use. Soft lead is best.

Assuming you clean the pistol afterwards, the old wads should be fine for your purposes. If you want modern wads, WonderWads are great, but expensive.

Old components should be just fine. I've used DuPont powder that was many years old without any apparent problems. As long as the can has been kept sealed, it should work fine. Black powder is a low pressure load, so your charges can be adjusted to get you the best accuracy without having to refer to loading manuals. Something in the range of 20 grs to 40 grs is probably the best operating area. 30 grs is a good moderate load.

Don't cap the pistol unless ready to fire. Good luck

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Morgan88,
    Would love to see pictures if you can post some.
    Is this a pistol as opposed to a percussion revolver?

Top Bottom