• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    had any defensive handgun training in the past? Like - not just basic no-brainer NRA stuff - but bona-fide training from bona-fide trainers?

Why would someone want to do that? Training is a waste of money. The money would be better spent on a wonderful, reliable gun for self defense, like a 1911 or a Judge.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    denim-cowboy-hat.jpg

I kinda dig this one. If you're looking for something to get me for Christmas, 7 3/8ths. Buy two and we can be hat buddies. Buy three, the 3rd in 8 and coat it with Scotchgard to repel blood stains, and Rhino can join in the fun.
    How many.....I am laughing too hard to type. How many of these can a load of PDX discs punch through?

I like that hat buddies thing.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    How many.....I am laughing too hard to type. How many of these can a load of PDX discs punch through?

On topic, it's very possible that a thick denim hat like that could stop birdshot, especially from a short barrel. If not, it would certainly slow it down enough to minimize any penetrating injury.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I dunno. Sounds like something worth knowing, though. Indiucky also liked the hat. I'm guessing he's 7 1/4 if he can be a hat buddy, too.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    On topic, it's very possible that a thick denim hat like that could stop birdshot, especially from a short barrel. If not, it would certainly slow it down enough to minimize any penetrating injury.

But what about a spinning "column" of birdshot from a short AND rifled barrel? Would any of that shot actually even hit the hat?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    But what about a spinning "column" of birdshot from a short AND rifled barrel? Would any of that shot actually even hit the hat?

As opposed to going donut? I am not sure. The rifling in a judge makes most of a turn and then goes straight parallel with the axis of the bore, which theoretically should 'unspin' it. I am not sure how it actually works having not shot one, let alone patterned a shot load with one.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Actually, between various posts in this thread and links provided, combined with your intellect the answers are all there. This is why it will never be better then a Serbu or a .357 revolver, the rifling is a compromise so as not to destroy the shot column. I think the judge does have sub hat (MOH) patterns at 7 yards? We need an MOH target to test this.

Idea: profile target of Bigfoot wearing a denim hat with his ear at dead center.

Proof good engineers aint squat without good marketing. Engineers, especially Swedish and German ones, would never intentionally make compromised rifling. Marketing guys say make it and we will be the only ones on the market selling compromise as a benefit!

An old family joke from the 70's about shot in a handgun was "the problem is if she really does just shoot the gun to scare someone, then she is going to hit somebody."

Most hunters know a heavy canvas or thick vest will stop bird shot. Getting shot by the equivalent of a stack of button batteries is not that intimidating. Not appealing, but not too scary.

I have seen hat sized+, 3MOH, holes in patterns from rifled shotgun barrels using buck. At first you think maybe the whole load went through one wad sized hole. Use a larger target and you see the spread!

Top Bottom