• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    You guys do what you want. Inside the house, it's Federal 3" magnum 15 pellet 00. I also like 16 pellet #1 buck a lot. Thing is, I would rather use my .45 inside the house than use a shotgun. It's horter, more maneuverable, etc. I shot a 1/2 gallon milk jug full of water the other day with 2 3/4" Winchester Universal #8 shot. Blew the jug to smithereens, but some of the pellets were stuck in the front side of the jug. They hadn't even penetrated it!

You gotta remember that each pellet is individual. Each pellet carries its own mass, and in the case of bird shot, that mass isn't very much. What you guys are failing to see on the refrigerator is each pellet is hitting, doing a little bit of damage, and then another one is coming behind it and doing a little more. Like a bunch of little love taps from a pointy little rock hammer, all hitting the same place. Eventually, the point of that hammer is going to break through. Well, imagine that over the 5-6" surface area the shot is patterning, and then understand that the individual pellets themselves don't really have the mass to penetrate. As a whole, yes, but individually, no. The first pellet makes a dent and splatters. The next one deepens the dent and splatters. The next one rolls the metal back and partially opens it up, then splatters. The next one knocks that flap out of the way, and actually penetrates. This takes place over the entire surface area of the pattern. When you relate that to shooting a person, if it's a head shot, you are likely going to scalp them, a few pellets might pass through the skull, but most will embed in it, or drop away with bits of flesh. A torso shot will tear up the skin and fatty tissue under it, and a few inches of muscle below, but few of the pellets will travel into the body's internal organ cavity and cause severe trauma. If they hit bone, such as the breast bone, they will embed, not penetrate. The brunt of the trauma will result from the impact, not wound channels and loss of blood.

With buckshot, it's more like hitting with a splitting maul or a pick axe. Each individual projectile has 20 to 50 times the mass of one little piece of birdshot. Each piece of shot by itself can penetrate far enough to cause severe deep tissue damage. Then realize you are talking 8-27 individual pieces of shot, all capable of blowing right through, all hitting in that same exact 5-6" area. In the case of the refrigerator, you will see multiple large holes (possibly a large hole depending on the distance), denting, and more damage beyond, possibly denting and exiting out the other side. On a human target, honestly, it will be much the same as if you shot the person several times with a pistol of similar size projectile dimensions (weight/diameter), and similar speed. For example, if you have 9 pellet 00 buck, which as we all know is .33" diameter, just imagine shooting 9 .33" 53-54 grain bullets going 1300 feet per second, into a 5-6" group. You will see 9 deep wound channels, some of them may cross paths, most of them will probably exit through the back of an average person, each will have it's own individual hydrostatic shock characteristic (shockwave). Said "shockwave" will be slightly different than a bullet coming from a rifled barrel, but not by much. But, unlike firing individual bullets, these 9 wound channels will be happening at almost the same time. Being such close proximity, each "shockwave" will interact with the other. You're talking major, catastrophic deep tissue damage. It will penetrate bone, it will bore big enough holes to cause bleed out.

After passing through a person, the pellets will have slowed quite a bit. At in-home distances, you likely won't have pellets penetrate more than 1-2 sheets of drywall after passin through somebody.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I was invaded by birds last year and the 00 was just pointless in trying to knock them down. I have switched to bird, bird,00, slug, bird in HD setup.

What if bad guys miss their mark or get the script mixed up and come in off cue or out of order?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    You gotta love The Box...where the rubber meets the road, so to speak.

I liked conclusion #4

4. I "racked" the shotgun several times during the tests, and no bystanders lost control of their bowels.
    Conclusion: Racking a shotgun will not make the bad guy faint.

One note does not a song make, you must play the proper tune, bird shot, bird shot, buck shot, slug, buck shot, slug, slug, bird shot, oh da doo da day.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I have noticed people mentioning bird shot alot in home defense threads, what?? why?? do these people know the difference in bird shot and buck shot. If your family is in danger, are you shooting to neutralize the threat or are you trying to make them mad? save the bird shot for the birds. I go with 00 buck and my house will be the last one you invade.
    This guy found a way to use it!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Iraqveteran8888

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I find it interesting how some proponents of bird shot for home defense insist that the mass of birdshot acts almost like a single projectile and does devastating damage at close range. Then, they will simultaneously insist that birdshot is safer inside the home because it is less likely to overpenetrate interior or exterior walls.

Well, birdshot is not some magic bullet that will penetrate deep into a human home intruder but be nearly stopped by a couple of sheets of dry rock. You can't have it both ways. If birdshot is an effective man stopper, then it offers no significant advantage against overpenetration. On the otherhand, if it does not penetrate through interior walls, it is not likely to consistantly penetrate deeply into living tissue, either.

I tend to think blasting someone at close range with a load of birdshot is going to settle the matter most of the time.

There's a whole lot of choices in between birdshot and 00 buck, too. Personally, I like #4 or #1 buck in 12 gage. But, my ready for action lil' persuader is a 20 ga. loaded with 2 3/4 shells of #2 buck. If you ask me, that's a whole lotta fire power in a very small package.

Is that Jack Ryan my old internet pay from way back? If so, good to see you around buddy!

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I rented a bobcat for a weekend & built an 8' berm outside my house at the end of the hallway. I have this on a swivel mount just outside my bedroom door. Anything less & you just can't be sure.

Seriously though...Birdshot does transfer significant kinetic energy to the exterior of a person, but is unlikely to hit any organs & has no chance in hell of causing hydrostatic shock. It may kill them in the end...but I don't think you'll get much of an immediate effect. I just keep my XDm on the nightstand in a GunSafe (open while I'm sleeping). I really don't need to be groggily bumping a 26" long gun into the walls as I try to defend my family.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Seriously? I guarantee you hit someone at the ranges you are most likely to engage an attacker and even the lightest 2.75" target loads will drop them like a sack of potatoes. And what do you mean by "something solid"? If men where made of wood and phone books Id think we would all be using nothing less than a .44mag to protect ourselves.
    You can't make that guarantee on the net or in another mans home.

I do know people who have survived birdshot to the chest and center mass at your sack-o-taters distance.

However, I personally have never met anyone who survived buck or slugs at sack-o-tater ranges. I am not sure why that is?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You can't make that guarantee on the net or in another mans home.

I do know people who have survived birdshot to the chest and center mass at your sack-o-taters distance.

However, I personally have never met anyone who survived buck or slugs at sack-o-tater ranges. I am not sure why that is?

You can also find people who survived head shots with a 9mm or bear/sharks attacks.That doesnt mean those things cannot be deadly in most cases.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I find it interesting how some proponents of bird shot for home defense insist that the mass of birdshot acts almost like a single projectile and does devastating damage at close range. Then, they will simultaneously insist that birdshot is safer inside the home because it is less likely to overpenetrate interior or exterior walls.

Well, birdshot is not some magic bullet that will penetrate deep into a human home intruder but be nearly stopped by a couple of sheets of dry rock. You can't have it both ways. If birdshot is an effective man stopper, then it offers no significant advantage against overpenetration. On the otherhand, if it does not penetrate through interior walls, it is not likely to consistantly penetrate deeply into living tissue, either.

I tend to think blasting someone at close range with a load of birdshot is going to settle the matter most of the time.

There's a whole lot of choices in between birdshot and 00 buck, too. Personally, I like #4 or #1 buck in 12 gage. But, my ready for action lil' persuader is a 20 ga. loaded with 2 3/4 shells of #2 buck. If you ask me, that's a whole lotta fire power in a very small package.

Is that Jack Ryan my old internet pay from way back? If so, good to see you around buddy!

You betcha! Good to see you Kart.

Careful there making blanket statements based on standard physics. Better study the local play book a little.

A 380 or even a 22 in your pocket is plenty because no one has ever volunteer to let you shoot them with one. 45's only fit in the glove box and an ounce and a quarter of bird shot from a 12 gauge will barely scratch a guy with a jacket on.

There's more but you'll pick it up pretty quick.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    We're talking angels on the head of a pin.

Most of us will never have our home invaded while we are there.

For those of us who do, most invaders will flee as soon as they realize someone is home.

A smaller percentage may initiate an attack against us.

Most of those will flee upon realizing we are armed.

Of those who stay and fight, most will leave after the first shots are fired.

Of those who stay and fight after shots are fired, most of them will leave after they've been hit.

A tiny percentage of a tiny percentage will stay, fight, take multiple hits, and keep coming.

I agree, we need to plan for the worst eventuality. But the difference in outcome from using a .22 or a shotgun with birdshot or a M60 machine gun, is probably so statistically insignificant as to be something to worry about on the same level as what to do with the money if we win at Powerball.

Just producing a firearm is the largest difference you can make in a fight.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne

For those of us who do, most invaders will flee as soon as they realize someone is home.

Of those who stay and fight after shots are fired, most of them will leave after they've been hit.

A tiny percentage of a tiny percentage will stay, fight, take multiple hits, and keep coming.

At this point, you can be sure they're LEOs and you don't have a right to defend yourself against them anyhow.

I added the sarcasm which you were gracious enough to leave out. ;)

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    This > "If you're worried that a missed shot might penetrate through a wall and harm others, load your shotgun so that the first one or two cartridges to be fired is number 6 or smaller birdshot, followed by standard lead #1 buckshot (12 gauge) or #3 buckshot (20 gauge). If your first shot misses, the birdshot is less likely to endanger innocent lives outside the room. If your first shot fails to stop the attacker, you can immediately follow-up with more potent ammunition."

Quote taken from: Shotgun Home Defense Ammunition, .357 SIG -- A Solution in Search of a Problem?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

I agree, we need to plan for the worst eventuality. But the difference in outcome from using a .22 or a shotgun with birdshot or a M60 machine gun, is probably so statistically insignificant as to be something to worry about on the same level as what to do with the money if we win at Powerball.

Just producing a firearm is the largest difference you can make in a fight.

This is exactly why I posted what I did in the very beginning of this thread.

I'd rep ya, but I gotta spread it around first.

Top Bottom