• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    My 8 yr old son is coming with me to the range. His first time. He has been hounding me all winter.

Well, off to the range to get him started. He will be using a S&W M&P 15-22. This will get him ready for his AR later this summer.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I am about as proud as a dad can be. He did everthing right. Finger off the trigger until he was ready to shoot. Kept it pointed in a safe direction at all times. Put the weapon on safe when he was done. Listened to all range commands. Even swept up his brass. Maybe he does listen to his dad. Next date is set two weeks. I will start with hime then a marksmenship, this trip was just to get some trigger time, let him get used to pulling the trigger. No pics, I wanted to be totally focused on him.

He told me he can't wait until next time.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I am about as proud as a dad can be. He did everthing right. Finger off the trigger until he was ready to shoot. Kept it pointed in a safe direction at all times. Put the weapon on safe when he was done. Listened to all range commands. Even swept up his brass. Maybe he does listen to his dad. Next date is set two weeks. I will start with hime then a marksmenship, this trip was just to get some trigger time, let him get used to pulling the trigger. No pics, I wanted to be totally focused on him.

He told me he can't wait until next time.

Wow, I can't wait to take my son. I will probably take my daughter this summer. It is good to read about a father being in his place. You are an inspiration.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I was at the range today with a father / son duo. They had a small .22 bolt action the kid was shooting. The dad had also bought him a Sig Mosquito .22. The mosquito was a bolt action too in that every time it fired it jammed and had to be cycled. I saw him hammering rounds out of the chamber about 5 times. The kid was probably 8 years old and knew nothing about safety. He would just run from the rifle to the handgun while dad kept them filled up and fresh targets on each. The dad swept me multiple times before I said something. I finally had to when he walked behind me to pound a casing out of the chamber and I realized there was still a full magazine inserted and his finger was on the trigger the whole time.

Do better than this guy did. All of you. (I don't have kids yet, but I hope to do better as well.)

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    My 8 yr old son is coming with me to the range. His first time. He has been hounding me all winter.

Well, off to the range to get him started. He will be using a S&W M&P 15-22. This will get him ready for his AR later this summer.

can you pretend im your son and take me next time? ive been looking into a 15-22. then you can get me an ar this summer too!

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Awesome job taking your son out for his first time, sounds like he had a good role model.

My father and I went shooting today too, I am 21, but I still remember my first time like it was yesterday. Always fun, relaxing, and even though I am older now it is still awesome bonding time!

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I don't have any kids but I borrow my nephew for fun stuff like this because his father is a P.O.S. and the kid needs a good or at least better role model.

I am debating getting him a cricket for his birthday, I will keep it at my house so my idiot brother does not shoot himself.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I am debating getting him a cricket for his birthday

I think the cricket is the way to go. Teaches everything you really want about a firearm to get start, easy to clean, fun to shoot, right size for my kids or even a backpack. I definitely recommend one...:twocents:

Congrats to the OP for what sounds like a great day out... +1

OutaAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    An Appleseed Event should be in your future. You will both learn a lot. Great bonding time for father and son/daughter.

Top Bottom