Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    What: Bright Firearms Training - Instructional League
    Where: Riley Conservation Club
    When: Saturday April 20, 2013 2pm first shot
    Cost: $35 Cash at the door. Correct change please

Limited to ten shooters. You must RSVP via email.

This is USPSA training and practice. It is great for developing stage breakdown skills and getting in live fire practice. We run it as a match but we shoot each stage twice. Coaching and pointers are offered along the way. We shoot two field courses and then a speed shoot. Round count will vary but 250 should suffice. (Depending on your marksmanship)

This is a great way for the novice competitor to get better and the veterans can also get some great practice.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    E-mail sent! Can you post up some details about what we need to bring and if there are any specific required items or any prohibited items? This will be my first time in any type of firearm event.

Edit: Found this on your site: What To Bring To Class
    Ear protection, eye protection, gun, *ammo, **holster, belt, mag pouches, spare magazines, sunscreen, water, snacks, bug spray, rain gear, gun rug or case, open mind.

* Bring more than the recommended amount.
    **Not required for Basic Class or Safe Shooting/Safe Gunhandling

I've read where some places require/prohibit certain types of holsters or other items. I just want to make sure I have everything I need for something like this. Anything I should or should not have?

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    You can look to the USPSA rules for equipment specs for each division.

I am not affiliated Coach but have attended his sessions before. For this practice session you will really only need the following:

1. Pistol and required ammunition
    2. 4 or 5 magazines
    3. Belt
    4. Secure holster that covers the trigger guard
    5. Safe gun handling skills

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

No problem. I'm sure if I missed anything someone will come along and correct me.

I also forgot to add the standard personal protection equipment to the list: eyes pro, ear pro, whatever you normally take to the range.

Its a fun time and a good way to get your feet wet with USPSA style competition. If you havent been to a competition you might consider one of his competition classes too.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Not until April? You don't practice in the winter?

I have a long list of excuses. Range availability, weather concerns, schedule on my end.

I practice in the winter. I don't count these as practice for me. Just demonstrations at times.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    E-mail sent! Can you post up some details about what we need to bring and if there are any specific required items or any prohibited items? This will be my first time in any type of firearm event.

Edit: Found this on your site: What To Bring To Class
    Ear protection, eye protection, gun, *ammo, **holster, belt, mag pouches, spare magazines, sunscreen, water, snacks, bug spray, rain gear, gun rug or case, open mind.

* Bring more than the recommended amount.
    **Not required for Basic Class or Safe Shooting/Safe Gunhandling

I've read where some places require/prohibit certain types of holsters or other items. I just want to make sure I have everything I need for something like this. Anything I should or should not have?

Been out of town and away from the computer. Sorry for the delay. I replied to email and have you on the list.

Jackson responded correctly. USPSA shooting is nothing shy away from and the equipment is not a problem for the most part. Having enough magazines is the issue for most people. The division in USPSA is the problem there. Production, L10 need 5 mags to do it right. Single stack needs 6. Limited can get by with three if they hold 15 rounds.

Send me an email with the gun you are looking to use and I can advise better.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

What kind of holster do you have?

My understanding is that, if it covers the trigger guard, safely secures the pistol, and you can draw and reholster safely, you can use it. Some divisions may limit holster position or type. As this practice session is not a real match, take what you have and see how it works.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    Been out of town and away from the computer. Sorry for the delay. I replied to email and have you on the list.

Jackson responded correctly. USPSA shooting is nothing shy away from and the equipment is not a problem for the most part. Having enough magazines is the issue for most people. The division in USPSA is the problem there. Production, L10 need 5 mags to do it right. Single stack needs 6. Limited can get by with three if they hold 15 rounds.

Send me an email with the gun you are looking to use and I can advise better.

No worries. Edited, and e-mail sent.

What kind of holster do you have?

My understanding is that, if it covers the trigger guard, safely secures the pistol, and you can draw and reholster safely, you can use it. Some divisions may limit holster position or type. As this practice session is not a real match, take what you have and see how it works.

Right now, I don't have a holster for the gun I'll be using in competitions. I just bought it a few days ago, but haven't decided on a holster for it yet. I have a variety of holsters for what has been my EDC to date, but they won't fit the new gun. New one is a full size handgun, whereas the EDC is a compact gun.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    This is half full at this point. Several new faces signed up which is great. Please understand that it is no problem to cancel but I need notice. I want to have the class full but not overall full. So please take your rsvp seriously. Thanks for the consideration.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton

Right now, I don't have a holster for the gun I'll be using in competitions. I just bought it a few days ago, but haven't decided on a holster for it yet. I have a variety of holsters for what has been my EDC to date, but they won't fit the new gun. New one is a full size handgun, whereas the EDC is a compact gun.

Fobus or uncle Mikes holsters and mag holders are fine. Don't dump a bunch of money into gear at first. That will come when a few matches are under your belt. Be forewarned, it is kind of like crack. Once you start it's kind of hard to stop.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN

Why is the gun?

There are lots of us that might just have something in a box or drawer for it.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Will you be having the instructional league at ACC this year?

That is to be determined. Several things are still out of my hands. When I have some answers I can answer this question. It does not lookl good.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    This class is full at this momment. I will form a waitlist in the event that there will be cancellations. I will be sending out a reminder when the event gets closer. Plenty of new folks on board for this one which is great. Thanks to everyone who signed up. I have replied to everyone who is in the class so you should have confirmation.

Top Bottom