• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I am not a very big guy only 125 because of a high metabolism so I can not hold a steady aim off hand. Are there any recommended exercises, certain muscles to work, or other ways to help with steady shooting?

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I have to be extra careful with any weights, I screwed up my back 4 years ago and I am stuck with it for the rest of my life. Dont want to make it worse.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I'd like to add that a workout like this doesn't have to be like gym class. You can do some real good without working until sweat is pouring off you. Using smaller weights and doing more reps will give good results. It can be done with a lot less weight that you think. Also, do you play with your guns? Do you have a revolver with a terrible double action that you can use to build finger pull strength? My Ruger gp100 can wear your hand out in about 2 pulls.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You can do pretty much everything from home. Work on your endurance. Pushups, and tricep dips are a great way to get started. Start by doing 3 sets of each. Strat at like 10 reps per set. Then you can keep increasing as you progress. That will help your fast twitch fibers. In tern that will help when having to hold something for a longer period of time.

ONTARGET

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    I am not a very big guy only 125 because of a high metabolism so I can not hold a steady aim off hand. Are there any recommended exercises, certain muscles to work, or other ways to help with steady shooting?
    Maybe this will help?:yesway: I'm with the other posters on building hand and grip strength first:twocents:! [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceq19u-t_pM&feature=related]YouTube - Schwarzenegger as John Matrix in Commando (1985)[/ame]

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I believe from your original post that you are asking about steadier offhand rifle shooting. I know something about that...

First of all, realize and accept that when shooting offhand, the rifle will always be moving. Generally in a figure eight movement. All you can do is to maybe minimize that movement.

First of all, the rifle should be supported as much as possible by the structure of the body, not by muscle strength. The off elbow should be held up by the hip and the body should be collapsed as much as possible with the feet no more than shoulder width apart and horizontal NPOA on the target.

When you inhale, the front sight should move vertically down through the target. When you exhale, the front sight should move vertically up through the target. For sitting and prone, it is just the opposite.

As you breath and watch this movement, you should be "collapsing" your body (spine,hips,knees) which will steady your hold and reduce the figure eight movement of the front sight. You should be getting into a position which does not require any muscle strength at all to hold the rifle. You feel like you can stand there all day with no special strain.

At some point in this process, you will exhale, and for just a moment, the front sight will be steady and aligned on the target. Take up the final slack on the trigger and the shot will go off.

It is simple and I and other mere mortals continue to struggle with it after 30 years of shooting.

Or maybe you shouldn't listen to me since my best offhand score ever was a 193 in a State Championship match. the good shooters shoot high 190's.

Or just buy David Tubb's book because he explains it much better than I can.

If you are asking about 4moa combat shooting instead of 1 moa or less target shooting, just press the trigger when the front sight is on the target. I can do that too....

Good luck.

Last edited:

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Start with your grip, move up your arms to your shoulders, then move down your back, in that priority. Remember, low weight x many reps is much better for your muscles and is more effective than less reps x more weight.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    According to conversations with Bob Vogel earlier this year, Grip strength is important.

MD Gladiator Grips
    Charles Bronsen used a ball of wax in The Mechanic..........

Power Putty

Individual DigiFlex | The Digi-Flex offer excellent Hand Exercises. Buy a DigiFlex today!

Both work each finger to make sure they are all doing the work. Then do forearm exercise, all kinds to do, just google grip strenghtening etc....work the entire triangle from hands through your shoulders.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Building core muscles will go along way in helping support your firing stance. Having a strong grip will not help keeping the pistol in the air with a weak arm. A good core will help you "lock" everything together.

Top Bottom