• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eiffelman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    More experienced hands at this can probably enlighten me about the best thing to preserve firearms stored in a safe Experienced insight would be appreciated

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    just keep the safe inside your house and that's it. your house environment is all you need to keep your firearms safe.

now if its in a basement, then that can be a whole other animal but just have a de-humidifier down there and all should be good.

Eiffelman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Thanks Just got this and wanted some assurance that firearms would not suffer any corrosion from being locked away inside of it.

Attachments

• Resized_20240824_164944.jpeg
      Resized_20240824_164944.jpeg
      539.5 KB · Views: 14

hereforthecootbash

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2015
    boone county
    If the safe is inside your house and your house is a normal temp/humidity, you are probably fine. Just keep your firearms clean and oiled and they’ll be ok. Never hurts to add a big bag of desiccant in the bottom of the safe if you want to. Swap it out every year or so and that’s more than enough protection in the safe.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    If the safe is inside your house and your house is a normal temp/humidity, you are probably fine. Just keep your firearms clean and oiled and they’ll be ok. Never hurts to add a big bag of desiccant in the bottom of the safe if you want to. Swap it out every year or so and that’s more than enough protection in the safe.
    Honestly, for years all I’ve thrown in the safe are those little desiccant packs that come in everything. Never had a problem.
    What floor do you guy keep your safes on?
    Mine are kept in a non hvac shop, quick bolted to the concrete floor.

BackFromDC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    I keep my safes in a basement. I have two dehumidifiers, one for the room the safes are in and one for the general basement itself. Honestly the dehumidifiers are more for the MDF flooring that was installed by the previous homeowner, IDK why they chose such a moisture vulnerable floor.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    In house main floor above basement
    I have had two friends that lost all of there firearms in home fires with keeping safes on the first floor above the basement.
    During the fire the safes fell through the floor and cooked like a charcoal grill and then sat in water for the week or two it took to get to them after the fire.
    It's one of the reasons I keep our safes in the garage or shop anchored to concrete.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Golden rod and Eezox on the guns.

Mine is in the basement but it is conditioned space like the rest of the house.
    Yep, I've never understood using desicant and keeping the moisture in the safe and the maintenance it needs.
    When you can plug in a goldenrod and the few extra degrees it adds to the temperature just pushes the moisture out of the safe.

LokhXIV

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    I've got mine in my basement. The basement is pretty well controlled environmentally though so I don't run a dehumidifier. I keep my guns oiled if they're going to sit unused for a while. Just for peace of mind I did throw desiccants in there too, but probably don't need it.

You can buy your own beads fairly cheap on amazon and put them in little pouches. I bought aquarium filter pouches iirc. They can be dried out in an oven and reused too. I also throw one in an ammo can too just for the hell of it. So far so good.

Top Bottom