• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gilliu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Sorry if this is a repeated thread. What would you folks recommend as the best value shotgun for both trap & field. Preferably semiauto and less than $600 used. I like Browning gold & silver. Looked at Remington 1100's. What else?

feriil

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    You can't find a bad word about Winchester Super X2's anywhere on the internet. That says a lot when everyone complains when the smallest thing goes wrong these days.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I love the SX3s. I saw a Beretta 3901 at Dick's today on sale for $550.

Another good deal is the Weatherby SAS semi-auto. They aren't made anymore but you can still find new ones (call The Gun Shop in Quincy, Michigan). They have them new for $399 and will ship for $20.

I bought a Weatherby SAS and am more than impressed.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Sorry if this is a repeated thread. What would you folks recommend as the best value shotgun for both trap & field. Preferably semiauto and less than $600 used. I like Browning gold & silver. Looked at Remington 1100's. What else?

I'm finding myself using my 1187 priemer trap more and more in the field.

gilliu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    thanks for the replies

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for the replies! I have been reading up a good bit on the Winchesters and Weatherby's. Also am looking at Benelli's and Franchi. So many options. Wish it was like tennis, where it was cheap and easy to borrow tons of racquets at a pro-shop to get a feel.

Gil

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    remington 1100 or 11-87 and Browning gold are all good choises I now of a member on there with a gold for sale in your price range lmk if your interested I will get you his info.I personaly like the 1100s

southern.in.guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    switzerland county
    I like the 1100 or 1187 for the simple fact something does need to be replaced parts are not hard to find and there not to pricey. I never had any problems from either even know i have a 1187 super magnum it shoots even the light target loads without a problem. Can't go wrong with this action its been around for years.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    I have beeb shooting Browning gold for about 8 yrs now. 3.5 inch synthetic. Never a problem. shoot any round you want to from the cheapest lightest load you can find to the heaviest loads.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Hey Guys,
    Wish it was like tennis, where it was cheap and easy to borrow tons of racquets at a pro-shop to get a feel.
    Gil
    That is the first issue with shotguns. Paying $600 for a gun that you hit 10 out of 25 with is useless, for me anyway. So a gun that fits you is critical and price point won't determine that.

Everyone defines Sport and Field different. Since you specified semi-auto and a $600 price point: I would want a gun that I could shoot 300 rounds through in a day and not hurt too much, not have to clean it half way through the day and then take it hunting. Good example might be a quick round or two of five stand or skeet 25-50 rounds, then a round of sporting clays, 100 rounds, then go pheasant hunting. Clean it and do the same the next day or double the number of clays being shot.

A used Beretta 303 would be good choice if it fits you. 1100's and 1187's too. Both are gas driven, not inertia, so they don't beat you up as much.

That is how I would approach it for my needs. It would be hard to ignore the Wally world version of the Beretta 3901 as it is semi auto, Beretta, new, cheap and a bit heavy which is not all bad. Not sure if that is the same gun spotted in Dick's above.

Top Bottom