• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    The OP said the best value 1911 and the RIA was at his price point. You guys are throwing out guns that are well above what he is looking for.

not trying to be argumentative or rude but I i guess i read the op differently. here it is:
    Wondered what the best value 1911 is? I noticed a lot of good reviews on the Rock Island 1911. The price point is right for me. Can I do better than a Rock Island? Thanks

Based on the way he worded the questions, I, and apparently several others, believe that he can in fact do better in terms of value:money spent by getting a Springer over a RIA. Some things are worth saving for imho.

I owned a RIA and MetroArms- neither gave me any issues. But in terms of quality, fit & finish, and accuracy I think the SA is worth it.

Another question. What is the intended use of this weapon? Range toy? Carry? Will this be the only 1911?

I would definitely rather have a SA for a carry gun than a RIA. ymmv.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010

Although I carry an American-made SA every day just about, I'd rather have a Filipino-made RIA over the vast majority of Springfield's offerings.

My experience with the one Filipino gun I have is that it is more comparable to my Series I Kimber than any Brazillian-made SA I've ever seen.

Your experience may be different, but I wouldn't sell RIA short. The Brazillian SAs are no prize. The nicer guns like the TRP and Professional are obviously very nice. The $800 and below guns aren't remarkably different than their competition.

I do think an $800 Springfield is drastically nicer than a $5-600 Taurus, though.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Im going with a remington R1 for my first 1911. Seems to be the best one for the money. Ive had 3 gun shops tell me first hand they are very reliable and no problems so far. Can be had within the 5-600$ range.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    not trying to be argumentative or rude but I i guess i read the op differently. here it is:

Based on the way he worded the questions, I, and apparently several others, believe that he can in fact do better in terms of value:money spent by getting a Springer over a RIA. Some things are worth saving for imho.

I owned a RIA and MetroArms- neither gave me any issues. But in terms of quality, fit & finish, and accuracy I think the SA is worth it.

Another question. What is the intended use of this weapon? Range toy? Carry? Will this be the only 1911?

I could have miss read it also.

But I own both a SA Loaded and a RIA tactical. While the SA is defiantly the better quality gun at twice the price I don't think it's twice the gun. Therefore just my opinion but the RIA is a better value per dollar. Just my :twocents:

Last edited:

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    I love my Remington 1911R1S, the stainless government model. Over the years, I've owned 6 1911's, some $1000 guns and some $400 guns, and none of them impressed me enough to make them "keepers". This Remmy may have finally broken that pattern. Looks good and shoots better...that's enough for me. And, all for less than $700!

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    Dont overlook a used Colt, I have recently picked up
    a Goverment Model from 1992 and so far with 200 rounds
    its been flawless with half being jhp's.

Jimmy

tmfinney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    New Castle
    I'll have to cast my vote for my RIA, I've had mine for 5 years and have never had an issue with it. As for their customer service, I haven't had to use it for my gun, but I've seen the kind of work they do when a customer has an issue with one of their guns and they are awesome!!!

Napalm217

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I just recently helped a friend pick out his first handgun which was a 1911. He settled on a Para GI Expert which we got to shoot the other day and I was very impressed with it. While the gun doesn't look super fancy it does what it should and for 599 it seemed to be a good price for one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My comment on RIA's is based on fit, finish and the overall feel of the offering. To use my favorite Harley analogy, the RIA is what I see a 1978 Shovel head Wide glide being a way to get in the game but it aint as sweet to ride as a later model block head FXR. The next step up the ladder would be a new Street glide. All work (most of the time ie. the shovel head) but the higher end offerings are a lot more fun to ride. Choose your poison but dont ***** when it tastes like POO.
    The feel of a good 1911 in your hand is what you are paying for. The RIA's just feel clunky in my hand. Say what you will about an SA but I have pieces from the GI mil-spec all the way to a TRP and you can feel the difference at every level. The Mil-spec runs and guns just fine. The RO is a great gun and it feels better as it runs. The loaded is, again, a better experience. The TRP is a freaking machine and is a great shooting experience. My Trophy NM is a total joy. It is like touching yourself with a mink glove,
    Save some bucks and step up to the post.
    Nuff said.

Edit...we have some Para's and they are some of the best shooters for my son. He rings steel with my P-14 Limited (stainless) at 100 yards regularly at MCFG with it. It is a .45 ACP as all our 1911's are.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'll have to cast my vote for my RIA, I've had mine for 5 years and have never had an issue with it. As for their customer service, I haven't had to use it for my gun, but I've seen the kind of work they do when a customer has an issue with one of their guns and they are awesome!!!
    I'm waiting on my RIA to come back from Armscor. I sent it in because of some feed problems. They indicated a 3-4 week turnaround time, and this Tuesday (12/4) will be 4 weeks. I'm anxious to get it back!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm waiting on my RIA to come back from Armscor. I sent it in because of some feed problems. They indicated a 3-4 week turnaround time, and this Tuesday (12/4) will be 4 weeks. I'm anxious to get it back!

Sorry to hear you are still having FTF issues with the new piece. Hope they work this out for you.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sorry to hear you are still having FTF issues with the new piece. Hope they work this out for you.
    Well, I'm not "still" having problems... it's the same original problem. :): JetGirl thought their turnaround time would probably be only half what they quoted, but I guess they're busy. I tried to call them Friday (4 p.m. our time, 2 p.m. their time) and got no answer. :scratch: I thought that was a little odd. As far as I know, Friday wasn't a holiday.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, I'm not "still" having problems... it's the same original problem. :): JetGirl thought their turnaround time would probably be only half what they quoted, but I guess they're busy. I tried to call them Friday (4 p.m. our time, 2 p.m. their time) and got no answer. :scratch: I thought that was a little odd. As far as I know, Friday wasn't a holiday.

They are still making them so you should be OK.
    A good friend of mine has one and he bought it to play with. After some effort and some bucks it is a fair enough piece. Runs and feels like my P-12 Para. He worked with the trigger and fit. Uses good Mags as we discussed. Not a bad effort. I would EDC with it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've got one RIA that's been flawless on round nose ammo only. It won't feed HP but I don't need it to. Ball is fine with me.
    I have another in for service that's never fed a round of any kind. There's a gap of 1/4" between ramp and barrel and the ramp looks to be machined crooked. I haven't heard anything back from them in over a month. IF it was the only 1911 I owned I'd be upset but since I have a few laying around it's not critical to me to have it back yet.
    I've heard nothing but good about the service on these so I'm not sweating it

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've got one RIA that's been flawless on round nose ammo only. It won't feed HP but I don't need it to. Ball is fine with me.
    I have another in for service that's never fed a round of any kind. There's a gap of 1/4" between ramp and barrel and the ramp looks to be machined crooked. I haven't heard anything back from them in over a month. IF it was the only 1911 I owned I'd be upset but since I have a few laying around it's not critical to me to have it back yet.
    I've heard nothing but good about the service on these so I'm not sweating it
    Yeah, I'm not panicking just yet. I AM anxious to try it out though. From everything I've heard about their service I fully expect it to be just fine when it gets back home. :)

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    My Rock Island CS has been flawless and accurate. With that said...I tried to upgrade with Wolff Springs for a Colt Officers model and the hammer spring wouldn't fit. I called Wolff and they said they make the spring for RI but it was proprietary and I would have to get it from RI. I put the original springs back in and have left it alone. Mind you there wasn't anything wrong with it I was just playing around.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The "value" proposition is always hard to pin down for another individual. The guns I listed in my post up top are all competitors in the price band RIA plays in, and represent slightly different takes on "value", depending on whether fit and finish, features, pedigree or whatever else defines "value" for you. The two 1911s I have that I think represent the most "value" for my money are a Wilson Combat CQB Elite that I picked up almost pristine for $1600. That's a lot of money, but about half what one would cost if I wanted to replicate it. It is my daily carry these days. The other is a custom house built Colt 1991A1 that a member here let go to me for less than a third of what it would cost to have it built. It's a great "game" gun. At the other end of the spectrum, I think my Marlin 795 is probably the very best .22LR "value" out there, and it cost $100 bucks.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I bought my RO used for 600 at a gun store just over a year ago. I would say wait for something slightly used and you can get to your price point and quality.

Top Bottom