• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I would vote for the 22-250 for several reasons. It is a great round for accuracy, range, and is economic to shoot. I have been buying the BVAC 55 Grain V-max load for under $17 a box and it is excellent ammo...of course you can get bulk pack FMJ cheaper for practice. For example you can get PRVI for about 54 cents a round. In a Savage 12 series you are looking at a gun/ammo combo that will easily shoot 1/2 inch 100 yard groups.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I probably wont shoot groundhogs past 100yards because of where they are located. I have a.22lr that is pretty accurate but it has no scope and itsnt the most reliable. coyotes will probably be 100+ depending on the shot. I am thinking either a savage axis or something from the AR platform in 5.56/.223.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I would go with a .223 if shooting groundhogs. Good cheap to shoot and accurate enough. Explode groundhogs at 100 yards and put coyotes down past that range. I have been unimpressed with .17 HMR at range of greater than 100 yards. I shot tannerite in thin plastic waterbottles at 200 yards and the bullet would enter but not exit the thin plastic filled with tannerite. I am not sure that would penetrate a coyote's hide but if it did, it probably wouldn't kill it unless shot placement was perfect.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    For 100 yards or less, the 22 magnum will fill the bill. The 17 HMR and 204 might be little better, but I think they are more expensive for rifle and ammo. Noisier too.

223 will do the job but is a lot more noisy than the 22 magnum.

I use the 22 magnum in a marlin bolt gun. I have no complaints. They drop dead.

GLOCKBOY

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    If the in-laws live in a congested area I would use a .17 Mach2. I have used one with great success. Not too loud, stops them in their tracks and less issue with stray shots.

FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    AR with a 223 round. adjustable scope around 300 yards. heavy barrel with a bipod.

are they any places left to shoot them? i know in colorado people are starting to try to protect them. idk why, when we lived in denver dad would beat down those suckers with a shovel in the back yard.
    nasty little things. good luck thinning the herd.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    AR-15 ....I remember my grandpa shooting whistle pigs with a .22 when I was a kid...I'd stay with my grandpa on weekends...we'd get up early and sit on the enclosed porch and drink coffee and wait for em....until one day he got a little excited and forgot to raise the storm window....my grandma put a stop to porch hunting shortly thereafter:D

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    Well I havent had a chance to buy something new and went with the old stevens 87a .22lr iron sights. saw one about a 40yard shot. fired and he reacted as if I hit him and took off. no blood though so maybe I missed. Idk. what do you guys think? there was no grass where he was standing and I didnt see any dust as if it the dirt.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    That's a tough call......I'll give you the benefit of the doubt....you most likely hit him in the "junk" ...so he may not die but the bonus is he will never reproduce

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    AR-15 ....I remember my grandpa shooting whistle pigs with a .22 when I was a kid...I'd stay with my grandpa on weekends...we'd get up early and sit on the enclosed porch and drink coffee and wait for em....until one day he got a little excited and forgot to raise the storm window....my grandma put a stop to porch hunting shortly thereafter:D

That story is worth the price of a window.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    There is one of my very favorite rounds for groundhogs. 222 rem. That old benchrest round you can see the hit in the scope. Bad thing is the 223 overshadowed this round with military acceptance.

DaveyCrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Bluffton, Indiana
    .223 should work great. i sit in my tree stand and i am beyond tempted to shoot the dumb groundhog when it comes out! i even got out of my tree stand to chase it one time!

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Looking at getting a rifle to shoot some groundhogs on my in laws place. I am looking for something that you can put a scope on. other considerations are cost, ammo cost/availability, and multi purpose. I will also be using this a coyote rifle.

I have killed most of the groundhogs I have shot with a .22 rifle. A close second is a Colt .45 acp handgun.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    5.56 > .223 ... If you do get an ar make sure the barrel is 5.56, so you can shoot surplus ammo though it and not detroy it. Usually you can get some better hunting rounds with .223, but I like the extra power of the 5.56.

I think you'd be happy with a 5.56/.223 rifle though. Good small game gun. Let us know what you do.

Top Bottom