Best personal defense weapon besides a gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    East Central In.
    As others have said, my brain is my primary, regardless. But, besides my pistol, I sometimes carry a 5ft., hickory, walking stick (you'd be amazed at how few people think of it as a weapon). And I always carry a good knife (the most useful tool man ever developed).

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Insert obligatory "use your mind to overcome evil" comment here. Seriously though, you can have all the "Defense tools" in the world, but if you don't know how to use them effectively, you're going to wind up with them being used against you. Get some training, preferably force on force weapon retention training first and foremost.

So far as self defense tools aside from my firearms I generally carry a knife (or two), a flashlight, a multitool, a laser pointer, an ink Pen and some keys. Yes 90% of my pants are cargo or carpenter pants, yes I carry a lot of crap and my wife get's angry with me when we go places with metal detectors because even after I remove my firearm(s) and knives, I still have a lot of crap on me.

If I often had to go somewhere that I absolutely positively could not carry firearms I'd definitely want to have a taser (preferably the projectile type where you can remove the "projectile cartridge" and use it as a contact buzzer as well) and OC spray (preferably multiple small *but multi shot* cans) on me in addition to my other gear.

Taser X26 (which is what most LEO use I think) is about 900$ out the door online. You can get lesser taser's for 100-300 though that still pack enough punch to slow down a normal adult male enough to put an end to the confrontation.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I've got about 6 months until I can get my LTCH. I have a knife on me at all times, sometimes two. Other than that it's situational awareness and fists. I would say the most important is situational awareness. I am constantly scanning and I know exactly who is around me. I always sit facing the door at restaurants so I can see who is coming in.

:boxing:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Car keys,steel toed boots,good sturdy pen.
    or if you wanna be a uber cool tacticool douche bag you must have a pool noodle with lead fishing weights taped to the inside,giant purple dildo and a rabid hedge hog{in a small cage of course}:n00b:

MeAndMyXD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Hammond
    Yourself. The way you carry yourself can bring on trouble or it can keep trouble at bay. The best way to stay out of a gunfight, is to take measures to not get in one.

I agree.

There are places I still choose not to go because of the chance of something happening. My wife tells me well you have a gun and I let her know that just because I have it doesnt mean I want to use it and that its better to avoid situations or places that would have to put me or my family in any kind of danger.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Just don't sit on your porch and point it at the police. ;)

As Benny Goodman would say..... "Take my wife, please!".

Your Benny Goodman line reminds me to the comment when a BG grabbed the guys wife and had a knife on her and yelled "Your money or her life" and the man stopped for a sec and the wife screams "What are you waiting for???" and he replies "I'm trying to remember just how much I'm carrying before I make the decision!".

Women always love that one!!! :rockwoot:

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Cumberland
    tried gas

I had a small thing of pepper gas but it was more of an obstruction in the pocket.

Now I just prefer to carry an extra mag of 15 snugged in a nice spot on my holster;)

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Good point about the brain.

I like to get a firm grip on the back of their neck, then smash my frontal lobes down right on their nose a couple of times. Takes the fight right out of 'em.

:): If you had a master lock tied to a bandana then you don't even have to grab them.

dodmarti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    How about a nice pair of polycarbonate knuckledusters? Also kubatons are nice if you are looking for something relatively small that doesn't really appear to be a weapon.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Primary should always be the one between your ears. If it is not 100% and properly trained none of the other,"tools", will matter anyway. :draw:

Yourself. The way you carry yourself can bring on trouble or it can keep trouble at bay. The best way to stay out of a gunfight, is to take measures to not get in one.

As others have said, my brain is my primary, regardless. But, besides my pistol, I sometimes carry a 5ft., hickory, walking stick (you'd be amazed at how few people think of it as a weapon). And I always carry a good knife (the most useful tool man ever developed).

I've got about 6 months until I can get my LTCH. I have a knife on me at all times, sometimes two. Other than that it's situational awareness and fists. I would say the most important is situational awareness. I am constantly scanning and I know exactly who is around me. I always sit facing the door at restaurants so I can see who is coming in.

:boxing:

#1 is the noggin. I carry a flashlight and a knife. Sometimes Pepper Spray. Walk with a purpose and make eye contact. The BG's are looking for easy pray.

Situational awareness is of the utmost importance

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Walk with a purpose and make eye contact. The BG's are looking for easy pray.

I agree making eye contact is very important. :yesway:
    You hear so often "never make eye contact with people it could start a fight".
    If you look down at your feet you look like a victim.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Coat pocket: LCP
    IWB strong side: Sig P239
    Weak side on belt: Extra Sig Mag
    Strong side pocket: Defensive Folding Knife
    Weak side pocket: Surefire C2

While I have been trained on the pistols and the flashlight, I really need some knife training.

Top Bottom