• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Is it just me, or does those talon things breaking off the bullet seem like they are going to cause nasty flesh wounds, but not hit anything vital, especially if you hit ribs or sternum? And the penatrator that is going on afterwards has less weight and energy that transfers?

I dont know, I would just rather stick to .357 semi wadcutters for self defense, or 8m3 hollowpoints in my ak for HD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Wabash
    I am a little surprised at the direction this thread has gone. Lots of comments about the merits of the design, but no critical analysis of the claimed performance. Their website specifies a 96 grain bullet fired at 1265 fps. They claim this delivers 490 ft lbs of energy. When I plug those numbers into a ballistic calculator I find that weight/speed combination only produces 341 ft lbs of energy. If these people are embellishing the energy production, what else are they embellishing? This is a marketing gimmick and does not deserve any further consideration.

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    I'll stick with my 45 HST. It's proven to be effective. That stuff looks like something from a video game. Not that I don't love my video games.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Meh. I've seen nothing but hype and advertising claims.

Frankly, I'm doubtful of it's ability to penetrate once it's broken into a bunch of little pieces. If the mass and sectional density isn't there, then . . .

Stay tuned, I guess.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    One thing almost nobody is seeming to realize, there's little to no energy transfer going on with that round. That means it will have no "punch" on the target. Literally about like stabbing someone with a pocket knife a few times. Do you really think that's going to stop someone?

Last time I checked, a firm punch to the gut ended more actions than a few cuts.

While I do not doubt the round would present a higher level of lethality than conventional ammunition, having them die after they've already murdered you isn't really helping you much.

There's just no real noticeable energy transfer going on with the round. Only fragmenting handgun ammo I've seen that appeared to still deliver energy into the target was the lehigh controlled fracturing stuff, specifically the 105gr +P 9mm.

I won't be switching away from my 147gr HSTs any time soon, after all they're the primary reason I've switched to the 9mm.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    The video was intriguing, the voice over was awful. I'll stick with traditional hollow points thanks...

I haven't done the math on it but I question issues of penetration. Those petals don't go very far or have a lot of mass and whatever is left after they break away is just making a small hole much like a FMJ. I fear dangers of over penetration even with that small of a projectile going as slow as it will be going.

If they make a shotgun slug for it I doubt they'll be allowed to market it if it does the same thing as the 9mm round. A slug would be VERY messy.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My opinion- If you would not shoot a 50 gr solid wadcutter for self-defense, don't shoot these. Looks like the "trocars" will cause supercifial, not incapacitation wounds if shot center mass- the only true stopper? The 50gr core is the only part that penetrates deep enough to reach vitals reliably.

Anyhoo, I'd like to see some independent tests....but it's too gimicky for me.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm going to load these and alternate with the 3 piece bullet held together by strings. The ultimate SD set up!

Get some velet exploder ammo to go along with it.

IMG00110-20090405-1702.jpg

Maybe some EXTREME SHOCK.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I've never seen real ballistic gelatin that was clear and there was a significant difference between the clear gel and the yellowish gel which was probably much closer to the real thing. I'm having a difficult time believing it'll be much of an improvement at such a light weight. What'd they say it weighed, 90 something grains? Figure it dumps close to half of that when those shards break off and your left with less weight in the slug than a 5.56 round which offers precious little without high velocity.

I'm thinking it offers more by way of looks than performance but I'm not an expert, perhaps they've unlocked something special. I'd be interested to see how it performs through body armor, may have some potential in that area.
    +1 on all of this. I also would like to add that the effectiveness will go down exponentially as the range increases. I think Id still rather have cast lead outta my nine. However, I can see these working well out or a pocket nine at mugging distances.

Top Bottom