• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Ruger SR9c for conceal carry, although disassembly can be tricky if you don't read the manual.

FNP45 for home defense or open carry.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Will it be for home defense, carry, or range? Do you want a revolver, or pistol? Do you want a polymer frame, or steel frame? What caliber? Do you want a hammer fired, or striker fired? Trigger safety, grip safety, manual safety, or decocker? Also what are you looking to spend? I know that is allot of ?'s, but there are so many makes and models to choose from! If I where you, if you know someone who is knowledgeable about guns. Take them window shopping with you. Fondle, and if possible shoot as many as you can. That way you can find, the gun that fits you best!

JohnBoy1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Like posted above, you cant really beat a glock with the great reputation and service if needed and teardown of the weapon is very easy. I have a 40 glock23 and its great.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Gotta add another recommendation for a Glock. Simple. Utterly reliable. Billions of parts available for them. Reasonable cost.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am looking to buy my first handgun, what is a good buy for the money?

depends on what your purpose for the gun is... EDC, home defense, range, competition.
    Do you have any experience with handguns?
    The main thing is to shoot as many different makes, models, calibers and choose what is best for you. My personal choice is Glock, but they are not for everyone and that is fine. If it is your gun and you plan to carry it then you need to be confident with it and enjoy it. It wont do anyone any good if when you need it, it is sitting at home because you do not like carrying it. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:

ThePope

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Fort Wayne,In
    I must disagree with the above statement.....as my first pistol was a G-19, so I MUST have thought it was, indeed, a great choice for a first pistol.

The learning curve is also great, no room for errors, no room for second chances, it must be done correctly the first time, and any time after the purchase.

I was 53 when I did the deed, and I endlessly researched my options , checked and double-checked the facts pertaining to this particular firearm, and its' potential for the criteria involved in its' role for a carry firearm,and my first.

The criteria are as such

1) needed to be of a caliber that could , in self-defense situation, be deployed rapidly and effectively, removing the threat without intimidating the shooter ( me ) by too much recoil.

2) had to be easily field-stripped for quick-n-easy cleaning, didn't want to spend a ton of time keeping it in tip-top shape for operation.

3) its' operation, its' "BANG", had to work every time, no hiccups, no delays, be perfectly reliable.

4) Use a cheap enough round so it could be fired at a reasonable expense.

5) not cost an arm and a leg.

6) had to fit my hand.

The G-19 fell into these points rather effortlessly.

For me, this G-19 was the perfect first timers' gun in a self-defense size, caliber, care, and all other categories .

I am out....shoot often, shoot safely.....;)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Glock, S&W MP, Springfield XD, Taurus 24/7, Ruger SR9. All should be easy to find and competitively priced. Do not rule out revolvers. Go shopping, try them all out. Go with what feels right.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you are on a limited budget, I would suggest a Taurus 24/7. Locally I have seen them for around $400. Not top of the line, but not bad for the price. Also Kel-Tec makes some quality, bang for the buck pistols. One other good choice for bang for the buck, would be the Stroeger Cougar. If you have some money to burn, and want a metal framed gun. Then I have to say CZ, it is the most accurate gun I have owned or fired. You also have the oh so popular 1911, which can be had in 9mm, .40, and .45 models. From inexpensive, to high $. Then you have the oh so lovely Beretta 92FS. A little bigger, but a fine shooter and of course the sidearm of the U.S. military. For the $500 + polymer framed pistols. I would suggest the Xd/Xdm, M&P, and a FN. I have also heard good things about the CZ P-07, but have no personal experience. "If you want to follow the crowd, and be a true G, you could always buy a Glock".

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    That statement applies to other firearms also, the only exception possibly being the parts available!

Agree, mostly.

Glocks are so widely used that it is hard to find another pistol that has been time tested as much. But you are correct, there are lots of great choices out there.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    You really need to narrow down your wants/needs to get any type of good advice.

There are literally hundreds of different models of firearms that would meet the criteria for what you asked. All your going to get right now is hundreds of different answers which are based on others personal preferences.

Best bet is to try to hook up first with a person who you know and trust that has some experience in firearms to guide you, preferably someone with access to some different types of guns to try out. If you can't find anyone with access to models of their own, try to find a place that will rent them out to you and go with someone who again, knows something about guns.

If you can afford it try to get in with a reputable trainer who can guide you also. You can look in your area for a conservation club, NRA instructor, etc. that you could speak with.

If nothing else, put up a post here on INGO looking for someone in your area that wouldn't mind hooking up with you and assisting you however much they can.

Good luck to you.

Ahgo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    New Haven, Indiana
    If you want a full size handgun that's decent right out of the box, I recommend the S&W M&P 9mm. It a great gun that comes with 3 grips for your hand size. It is not a great CCW because of its size, but it is very accurate and reliable.

Last edited:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Holy Cow!! I cant' believe the whole can of worms didn't fall out on you!! What's the best gun for the money??? LOL... you gotta be kiddin' me!! Those guys above who said you need to be specific about what you wanted to do with it were right. So,... What DO you want to do with it?? And what's your max budget, and experience level?

WTFD 661 Probably had the best advice... Find someone you know and trust, rent some and try different kinds, get some basic training, and do narrow down your own criteria...
    Good luck to you. You've got a fun job in front of you. Lots of us are wishing we were in your shoes again. Take your time, and be safe.

And have fun with it!!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom