• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    I happen to sit next to the only Liberal in my building. He is a co-worker, and a friend, but we don't agree much on political stuff. We have some spirited debates, and I respect his opinion. After the tragedy in Connecticut, he pretty much jumped on the bandwagon about gun control and such. Now, every time something happens regarding guns, such as the recent gun show accidents, he reminds me that "It sure doesn't help your cause".

He's right.

Folks, right now we as gun owners are under a microscope. Our actions can make or break opinions and sway those who are on the fence to go one direction or the other. While most of the common sense folks (for example) here on the forum have made up their minds about the issues, and those who are with the gun grabbing camp have already decided their direction, those who may be trying to feel out their place in regard to the "gun issue" are watching our every move... And getting their info from the mainstream news.

As a group, we need to be very careful what we do. Every accident, every theft, every little misstep or out of place statement could color the opinions of those looking for guidance.

I know you guys know this, but it was just something I have been thinking about.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    such as the recent gun show accidents

Yes, INGO is on the cutting edge of this. We have even noted that gun accidents are cited in federal court of appeals decisions.

Invite your friend shooting.

Sun Zi says the greatest of all victories is to make your enemy your friend.

TK312

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Cicero
    The media is making this a lot worse as well. Granted no death by firearm is ever a good thing, but with the current public perception, the media is making every firearm story front page news.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    I understand what you are saying, and where you are coming from, but I find it hard to believe that people can or will be more careful than usual just to make gun owners as a whole look better. If you can't be safe to preserve your own peace, then do you think becoming a story for the national debate will make a difference. I'm sure the guy who shot himself in the hand is more concerned with his hand than the news story.

The real issue is that there are millions of gun owners of all stripes, just like there millions of drivers. Many drivers are irresponsible, and some of them intentionally commit crimes with their vehicles. The difference is that the individuals are usually held liable for their own actions rather than all drivers being judged as a group.

I refuse to concede that the minute number of irresponsible gun owners should be an excuse for additional gun laws while we legalize pot and let people drive around in multi-ton killing machines. (If we can save just one life my a$$)

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    I refuse to concede that the minute number of irresponsible gun owners should be an excuse for additional gun laws while we legalize pot and let people drive around in multi-ton killing machines. (If we can save just one life my a$$)

I agree with you here, absolutely. It shouldn't even have to be stated..I'm just saying we can't relax our fundamentals right now..Or ever for that matter.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Invite your friend shooting.

That right there is the single most important thing you can do. I can't rep, since I have to 'spread it around', but its tough to undersell how important that simple act can be. Telling folks "don't go shoot anyone, including yourself, or the rest of us look bad" is good intentioned but ultimately useless.

Get a guy to banging away turning money into smoke and noise, get him into the hobby, he meets other gun owners and notes the lack of horns and odor of sulphur, and you've done something.

Especially since converts tend to be the most adamant supporters. Like an ex-smoker tends to be fifty times more annoying about smoking than someone who never smoked to begin with, someone who's been reborn as a gun lover will spread the word.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Ask your friend if he will watch the Super Bowl even though players have been seriously injured playing the sport. Does he watch the Indianapolis 500 race? People have been killed on the track and in the stands. Ask if auto racing should be banned. How about young people who have died from drinking too much? let's outlaw alcohol. That worked really well the first time. My point is we don't have to apologize for anything. There are idiots and accidents in every profession, sport and hobby. Guns and shooting are no different.

Top Bottom