• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CA expat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Hi All,
    I was wondering, what your favorite backcountry/backpacking trips are 4-5 hours drive from Indianapolis? (drive can be longer an hour or two if it is worth it)

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions and getting out there... once the weather improves!

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Look into the Big South Fork of the Cumberland in Tennessee.Have been down there many times. In the winter and early spring, it is deserted.

One caution about the back country areas of northern Tennessee and southern Kentucky. Big time back-country pot growing areas in the summer.

Dirty Steve

Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    Knob Stone Trail is the best Indiana has to offer. Its about 3 days, in clark co area. Do a google search. There is an outfitter that will drop off water at set points and pick you up at the end and return you to your vehicle. I'll try to find him, I'm at work right now.
    Here ya go:

Go Deep Adventures, an Outfitters for the Knobstone Trail in Indiana

What he said! I've hiked different parts of this over the last couple of years, mostly with youth. I have not been disappointed. It's not high adventure but it's close (not going to burn a lot of gas to get there) and fun.

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Highly suggest the Knobstone trail!!!!!! End of March myself and some friends will be thru hiking it again. I'll psot pictures. One word of advice though, the souther seaction starting near Deams lake have some hills that will give you a work out!!

Wildcat45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    You can't go wrong with the Smoky Mountains....miles of trails and awesome scenery! My favorite trail is the hike down Forney Creek from Clingman's Dome. The AT(Appalachian Trail) also splits the national park in two. Not many loops to hike but plenty of hiker shuttles are available around the area. Surprisingly you don't run into many people in the back country as you would think. Definitely worth the drive.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm not very familiar with it, nor the backpacking opportunities, but the Wane National Forest / Hocking Hills State park in SE Ohio would probably be a good candidate. Logan, OH is a good location to center a Google Map search off of; it'll at least get you in the 'hood.

-J-

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    a little herb

+1 for Miguels Pizza great place to end a trip. They seem to enjoy the smell of un showered hikers. The food is out of the world

I posted earlier about Miguels.... Last year I was down there with 2 of my boys- 23 and 17....we were camping out back...had hiked a little and came back to get a quick shower and then eat in the restaurant.
    Afterwards, while we were enjoying the cool evening, we noticed a couple of climbers "burning one". Actually, smelled that unmistakeable you-know-what smell. My guys were kind of embarassed. ( It was funny 'cuz old Dad could tell 'em some back in the day stories)
    I was very tolerant. If given a choice I'd much rather be around that then around folks that would get all jacked up on whiskey, etc.

Just sayin' :cool:

CA expat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Thanks everybody for your responses!

These are all great options, and will definitely keep me busy for quite a while!

Being that I am new to the Midwest, what are the best months of the year that are usually best to head out (both weather-wise and scenery)?

Also, this might be a silly question, but I have never been in backcountry that has also been used for hunting. I am assuming that hunting regulations are Park/State dependent, but what precautions do you take, if that is a problem at all?

PappyD, I agree (and not just because I am from CA). Though smelly, it may very well be the lesser of evils ;) when used in excess.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    The best time depends on what you like as far as temps go. It can get VERY humid here during the summer, so the warmer months can be pretty brutal on long hikes. I personally like spring and fall. Fall would be the best for scenery because of the changing colors but Indiana weather can be in such a state of flux that you will have a 30 degree low and one day later it's in the 70's.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Thanks everybody for your responses!

These are all great options, and will definitely keep me busy for quite a while!

Being that I am new to the Midwest, what are the best months of the year that are usually best to head out (both weather-wise and scenery)?

Also, this might be a silly question, but I have never been in backcountry that has also been used for hunting. I am assuming that hunting regulations are Park/State dependent, but what precautions do you take, if that is a problem at all?

PappyD, I agree (and not just because I am from CA). Though smelly, it may very well be the lesser of evils ;) when used in excess.
    I prefer Fall to backpack here in the Midwest. Second favorite is spring, but a VERY close third in my book is winter. Fall is wonderfully crisp, cool, and pretty. Spring is nice too, but quite often rainy. I'm a big fan of winter camping, but then I grew up in WI. (it's not for everyone, but I think all campers should try it once or twice.) Summer is just hot and sticky. I do it cause I love backpacking, but did I mention it hot and sticky? And Mosquitos to.
    As for the hunting. Pay attention to where you'll be hiking in terms of what's allowed for the time you'll be hiking. Generally I don't hike the opening week of what ever. I figure it's not worth the risk, plus I want to let the hunters have a fair shake without me scaring off whatever. When I am otherwise hiking during a hunting season I take one of the orange net vest that you get for 4 bucks at Wally world and wrap it around the upper backside of my pack. I wear red bandanna around my head, or orange hat if it's cool enough. I make sure my shirt is bright yellow to be easily seen from the front.
    Welcome to the Midwest! Perhaps our paths will cross on some path someday.

Top Bottom