• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You might be able to track down an old SAR-2, but it would be pure luck if the seller wanted to sell it for $500 or less, but if the owner got it way back when they were around $250 he might just make you a deal.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I have ZERO experience with these or ANY other AK type of gun. I too was looking into purchasing a 74, and found these. I am curious if anyone has any experience with them. They are "around" your price, and in stock as of a couple of weeks ago.
    M10 5.45 AK74 Rifle

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I have ZERO experience with these or ANY other AK type of gun. I too was looking into purchasing a 74, and found these. I am curious if anyone has any experience with them. They are "around" your price, and in stock as of a couple of weeks ago.
    M10 5.45 AK74 Rifle

We've had a few of the M10s in; they are Romanian actions built up with the requisite number of US parts (Tapco muzzle brake, trigger group & stock, Hogue pistol grip, etc), as well as a few other nice features like the RPK adjustable rear sight, and a front rail system. The ones I've seen appeared to be pretty well put together, and did not exhibit any of the issues that Century Romanian builds are (in)famous for (canted sights, poor furniture fit, refinish over rusty parts, etc).

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County

:rockwoot:

On a serious note, I had a Bulgarian century build last year, shot great! It came with all synthetic furniture but I got some wood froma member here. Ended up being a great looking and working rifle, I just decided to stick with 7.62mm in my AK. I don't really know what they cost new because I traded for it but I believe they were below $500. I think those days are gone now though. :twocents:

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    any decent ak is ballparking 500-700 right now. people getting hyped up for no reason due to elections. honestly, id wait to buy one uness you find a really nice romanian for about 350-400.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    I picked up an ak74 from arms of america with a east German barrel for about 649.... freak sweet shooter... i believe it was built by elk river tool and die... mine was put together very well and really fun to shoot (and very accurate)

longbowhunter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Avon
    I'd second the idea that you can probably buy a Saiga in 5.45 and by the time you convert it to 922 compliance you'll have about $500 into it.

I am new to military arms and have never heard of 922 compliance L

I did a quick Google search L did I read / understand the verbagecorrectly ? That if a high capacity mag (more than 10 rounds) is used in a Saiga that it would make it not compliant ???

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I did a quick Google search L did I read / understand the verbagecorrectly ? That if a high capacity mag (more than 10 rounds) is used in a Saiga that it would make it not compliant ???

Absolutely. Add a 11+ mag, pistol grip, flash hider, bayonet lug and it's instantly evil according to the BATFE. If the weapon is "evil" it must contain a maximum of ten foreign controlled parts. That's why we change out the fire control group to use Tapco or other USA made parts. There's a few calculators around, search for "Saiga 922r".

Crazy, isn't it?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield

It applies to any imported long gun. If you want to convert the configuration, as in the Saiga going from a "hunting" stock to an AK style pistol grip and separate stock, you must follow 922(r) or Title 27 CFR 478.39 which states that you cannot make an imported long gun using more than 10 imported parts. It goes to the sporting purpose clause of the new second amendment as defined by ATF. More than 10 imported parts makes it an evil baby killing weapon, 10 or less imported parts makes it an angelic sporting device incapable of hurting a soul.

About as stupid as it gets, and yet it is federal "law".

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I'd second the idea that you can probably buy a Saiga in 5.45 and by the time you convert it to 922 compliance you'll have about $500 into it.

If you just want to do a rear end AK style conversion, then yes. $450-$500 total investment will get it done. If you want to do a full blown AK74 conversion with the front end converted as well, you are looking at $650-$700 range depending on how far you wan to push it. I had about $725 in my Saiga to AK74 conversion, but there were certain things that I wanted out of it and I built it exactly how I wanted it to be.

If you are looking for an accurate AK74 build from a reliable company at a competitive price, I'd look at a Waffen Werks.

kmartin4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    There are lots of good vendors out there and some bad ones, too. Check out the forum sponsors at the akforum.net

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If all I did was add a 30 round mag it becomes evil ?

Yes. :ar15:

If you insert a 30 magazine into a stock Saiga rifle (no pistol grip, etc.), then you have assembled a rifle that has one or more features of an assault weapon as defined by the BATFE. Furthermore, since the weapon contains more than ten controlled parts of foreign origin you have created a firearm that is not compliant with U.S.C. 922(R), therefore illegal. While I don't agree with the law, I don't want to find out the penalty for violating it.

Top Bottom