• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joistman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Elkhart
    Just received a surprise refund from my property taxes!!!

I have $1,500 to spend.....what's the best buy for a 1911????

Will use for both carry and target comp.

Springfield's, Colt's, Kimber's??

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    Just received a surprise refund from my property taxes!!!

I have $1,500 to spend.....what's the best buy for a 1911????

Will use for both carry and target comp.

Springfield's, Colt's, Kimber's??

I have been reading everything I could find for the better part of 2 months(real user reviews not magazine reviews) trying to make the exact same decision. Honestly I am hoping that within another 2 months I will have handled enough and researched enough to be totally comfortable with my purchase whether it is a $500 SA mil-spec or a $3,000 Ed Brown/Wilson/Nighthawk. If you are really new to 1911's like I am there is a wonderful and very informative read linked below. I would suggest doing some research and handle as many as possible in gun stores, or at ranges. That is an awful lot of money(for me anyways) to spend in a rush. :)

Xavier Thoughts: Choosing Your First 1911

Give it a read, he is not biased(not trying to push one brand over another), he is just going over basics and what to look for depending on you're wants/needs are in a 1911. He also has a good blog on what to look for in buying a used 1911 to make sure you are not getting something that is pieced together or has just been abused if you decide to go that route.

Last edited:

1/2 shot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    State of Confusion
    Personally I'm a Springfield Fan the TRP is in that price range. You might also check out Fusion Firearms they are owned by Bob Serva the past owner of Dan Wesson. Every gun they build is one at a time full custom, but they are reasonably priced and they have some in that range. Here's the site: Fusion Firearms

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I have been reading everything I could find for the better part of 2 months(real user reviews not magazine reviews) trying to make the exact same decision. Honestly I am hoping that within another 2 months I will have handled enough and researched enough to be totally comfortable with my purchase whether it is a $500 SA mil-spec or a $3,000 Ed Brown/Wilson/Nighthawk. If you are really new to 1911's like I am there is a wonderful and very informative read linked below. I would suggest doing some research and handle as many as possible in gun stores, or at ranges. That is an awful lot of money(for me anyways) to spend in a rush. :)

Xavier Thoughts: Choosing Your First 1911

Give it a read, he is not biased(not trying to push one brand over another), he is just going over basics and what to look for depending on you're wants/needs are in a 1911. He also has a good blog on what to look for in buying a used 1911 to make sure you are not getting something that is pieced together or has just been abused if you decide to go that route.

some more reading if you haven't stumbled across it. AAR: Vickers Tactical 1911 Operator's Course 6/6-6/7 2009 - Page 2 - M4Carbine.net Forums

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO

That is a good article, and I have spent the last hour or so perusing his blog and it is a pretty good read. Good find!

IT seems like any of the "big" names will do you well. You can of course as others have said get semi-custom/used custom guns or mix and match parts to your desire. Is this your first 1911 or not? I am not 1911 expert so take this as it is. The 1911 fans kind of remind me of those with the dreaded "EBR disease." I personally kind of like the idea of knowing a gun has been built exactly how I wish for it to be done and I also have always enjoyed playing pix and match for some reason, so that would be my personal choice. You can get something like a SA Mil-Spec and piece it together, or any number of different routes. Kimber, SA, Para, S&W, Wesson Combat, any number of different routes would be very suitable.

On a side note there is a very reasonably priced Kimber Carry in the classifieds now - to be honest I am surprised it hasn't sold already.

Last edited:

hodgej1843

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    SOUTH SIDE INDY
    COLT,COLT,COLT

CANT GO WRONG WITH A COLT LIGHTWEIGHT COMMANDER XSE SERIES
    colt1911006.jpg

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Kimber (I have one a love it), Dan Wesson (especially a CBOB), Colt, Springfield would be (in that order) ones I would look at for new.

For a couple more hundred dollars, I would buy a Les Baer TRS and then could die a happy man.

Good luck in your search (and you make me very envious :))

make sure you post (with lots of pics) which one you get.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    A lot depends on what you want it for. If it were me, I'd go the custom route. Maybe Ed Brown, Clark Custom or Springfield Custom shop. Rock Rivers are fantastic if you can find one. You might have to shop around, but you should be able to find one in your price range. I'll probably take a lot of heat for this, but I think you get a lot more gun for the money when you go custom rather than buying a Colt or Kimber.

anewrnn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Crown Point
    Fusion 1911

I researched 1911 for 6 plus months. I ended up with a fusion. Bob Serva answers all emails daily and I am very happy with mine.Fusion will totally make a custom 1911 for less than others. Finish, fit everything is top notch. Ive held/ shot the springfield's and a nighthawk.Your just paying 500 extra for a name with anything else.But thats my opinion.

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    ive got a dan wesson cbob, but i think my next 1911 may be an STI of some type...unless i end up building my own 2011..in which case it would still mostly be sti

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I vote for a CZ in 9mm some 19rd clips and a bunch of ammo! But ill be happy with what ever your going to buy me. And maybe you should buy yourself sumtin too. Thanks! Turtle! Turtle!

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    IF you're lucky, you might be able to find a used Wilson. If not, save up some more money and go that route. A lot of money sure, but shoot one and you will understand!

Top Bottom