• ...and so much more!
  • CptCrik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Hey there INGOers,

I have been doing some research into 12GA shells, particularly what to use in the case of self-defense. Rather than putting what I am leaning towards first, I want to hear what others think.

I am looking for a round with good punch to it, but will not over penetrate because I have a family and we currently live in an apartment.

Also, I know for fun shooting and clays, a brick of ammo from walmart does just fine. But I haven't purchased any other types of shells yet. So, what other types should I always have a good supply of as well?

Thanks.

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    My opinion is the hornady critical defense round. Others will say the federal with the flight control wad. Basically same design for tight pattern. In my honest opinion in an apartment the biggest room you have is what no more than 12x12? A birdshot round is going to go through a wall if you miss. Shotguns and small apts. dont mix if your worried about over penetration. Of course others may have different opinions

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I haven't shot enough bad guys with 00 vs #1 to compare from personal experience (ok, I haven't shot any bad guys with either) but from what I read, the 16 #1s vs 9 00s has the greater cross section and damage. Where are you going to find them, though? 00 is plentiful, so that's what you'll wind up with. Basically, anything that's going to undue a BG will go through a wall, but, surprisingly, a 5.56 will tumble and lose energy a lot faster than pistol or buckshot. Maybe also there's a way you can arrange beds to minimize the likelihood of prospective danger from a likely shot.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    A friend brought over some Hornaday Critical Defence to shoot out back. Holey smokes that is powerful. It turns concrete blocks into rubble. I don't think you need anything more than bird shot for indoor defence. Bird shot is totally devastating up close and I wouldn't want to be shot with it at any distance.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    I would stay with the reduced recoil type loads for home defense. The traditional buckshot and slugs are just too much for the home needs, besides that few ladies can handle the full power loads well.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Agreed. Birdshot is not a defensive round.

UNLESS ... you are attacked by angry birds. :dunno::D

For humans I would stick to 00 buckshot.

I would stay with the reduced recoil type loads for home defense. The traditional buckshot and slugs are just too much for the home needs, besides that few ladies can handle the full power loads well.

I agree with the first part but I think the second part about women is:bs:.
    Many men have troubles with full power load, it's not a gender specific issue but more like a training/stance issue.
    Many women have no problem shooting .45 ACP pistols or powerful rifles were some men have troubles shooting less powerful guns.

With the good training a woman can handle any gun that a man can, not to mention that they are usually better shot than men. :xmad: :):

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    women not handling "full power" shotgun rounds well is bull crap. the problem lies in that most women are shooting shotguns that don't fit them well. an ill fitting shotgun will beat a person up pretty good.

AtlasDM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2012
    women not handling "full power" shotgun rounds well is bull crap. the problem lies in that most women are shooting shotguns that don't fit them well. an ill fitting shotgun will beat a person up pretty good.

Agreed.

As to everyone suggesting birdshot... NO. It's too light to adequately penetrate and do any real damage that would be needed to stop a threat. Sure you might cause enough pain/fear to make the bad guy run away, but if you're unlucky enough to have a tweaker break in to your house because they need their next fix, you're birdshot isn't going to be enough.

For personal defense and law enforcement applications, the International Wound Ballistics Association advocates number 1 buckshot as being superior to all other buckshot sizes.

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville

Agreed... My wife can and has shot my 12ga with a 3" magnum slug in it. Now did she like it... hell no, but neither do most men.

It takes training and proper handling to fire these behemoths correctly.

I dont live in an apartment, but my recommendation would be 00 or 000 buckshot. I have mine loaded with 3 - 00 buckshot and 2 - 3" magnum slugs in the very end for the "tweaker" if needed. If you need all 5 shots... well you sir are already in more trouble than you are prepared to deal with.

Now to address the birdshot deal.... no its not adequate but the follow up shot typically is enough if even needed. If that is what you have to use... its better than throwing them at the intruder. Now I do not endorse or recommend the birdshot, but its better than pepper spray IMO.

Now for a little ballistics... the typical hunting shotgun or defense shotgun at 10 feet only has at max a spread pattern of 3" or less. It's not the "wall of lead" that most think it is. You actually need to do more than point in the general direction to effectively disable/eliminate a target.

Id rather not be shot by any shotgun round regardless if it is a rubber slug (which I have), birdshot, buckshot, hunting slug or any other of the concoctions out there that are available or homemade.

:patriot:

CptCrik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Yes, a shotgun isn't ideal for an apartment, but it is what it is in my stage of life. And I had read that #1 is the "best" choice. When I get out into a house with land, I will for sure be doing buckshot with the slugs in the last two spots.

Top Bottom