• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Went to LGS to sell some stuff so I could buy a Sig 320 compact for $499.99. Owner would not buy. Said he was broke. Ended up trading for the Bersa, which I wanted before the Sig. Got it home and ran some of my reloads through it. I really like it. I bought it to teach beginners how to shoot. Very accurate little pistol with not much more recoil than a .22 long rifle. Ate up my reloads without a single hiccup. Really good pistol for beginners and those that are extremely recoil sensitive.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I had one of those many years ago, ended up selling it to a friend who wanted something smaller to carry. It always shot well. I've considered picking another one up for a plinking gun. With reloading & casting combined it's almost as cheap to shoot as a 22 without the headache of ammo hunting. Considered a Glock 42 for that as well, even had a thread about a plinking 380 a year or so ago. Other things took priority and it didn't get done. I may have to take another look at the Bersa again. I can buy a good amount of components for the price difference between the two.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've lost count of how many Bersa 380's I've had over the years. They are fun little guns. .380 is my plinking caliber when there are ammo shortages. You can reload .380 for less than $5 a box if you are careful. I still have a Firestorm 22, which is just a .22lr version of the gun. That's a great gun to teach new users with.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I've lost count of how many Bersa 380's I've had over the years. They are fun little guns. .380 is my plinking caliber when there are ammo shortages. You can reload .380 for less than $5 a box if you are careful. I still have a Firestorm 22, which is just a .22lr version of the gun. That's a great gun to teach new users with.

I was guessing about $5 per box for my reloads, which was a big factor in wanting it for plinking. It has similarities to my CZ compacts as well, which is kind of cool.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I had one of those many years ago, ended up selling it to a friend who wanted something smaller to carry. It always shot well. I've considered picking another one up for a plinking gun. With reloading & casting combined it's almost as cheap to shoot as a 22 without the headache of ammo hunting. Considered a Glock 42 for that as well, even had a thread about a plinking 380 a year or so ago. Other things took priority and it didn't get done. I may have to take another look at the Bersa again. I can buy a good amount of components for the price difference between the two.

Gunbroker has a bunch of them for $249.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Gunbroker has a bunch of them for $249.

Good price on them. I may look for one of the older ones that doesn't have the Hillary Hole on the side of it though. I don't care for that at all.

A .380 is on the list, but it's down there a few. Next one I'm after is a PPS M2 (probably end of this week or next). Following that is a CZ PCR. Next is a 3 or 4" K frame. I took a look at things this past couple of weeks and reorganized. I realized I have about 3k of 38 brass and 7 different bullet molds for it. The only 38's we have in the house are 642's & a 442. I have a Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp but it doesn't come out to play much. I just have too many components NOT to have a K frame.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Good price on them. I may look for one of the older ones that doesn't have the Hillary Hole on the side of it though. I don't care for that at all.

A .380 is on the list, but it's down there a few. Next one I'm after is a PPS M2 (probably end of this week or next). Following that is a CZ PCR. Next is a 3 or 4" K frame. I took a look at things this past couple of weeks and reorganized. I realized I have about 3k of 38 brass and 7 different bullet molds for it. The only 38's we have in the house are 642's & a 442. I have a Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp but it doesn't come out to play much. I just have too many components NOT to have a K frame.

I am pretty good about ignoring "Hillary Holes". I looked at that key, shook my head and tossed it back in the box with little more thought until now. I got lucky and bought my PCR before I had to be more conservative with my cash. Really like it. My GP100 came out of the safe last Friday. Shot 6 magnums and a bunch of my 38 reloads. I forgot how extremely fond of that revolver I am. Bought it new 27 years ago.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you can find a Firestorm, they are even nicer. The grips are tacky rubber and the sights are upgraded, but otherwise same-same. Same manufacturer and all. They may not be the best guns out there, but they are deep in to good enough territory for most users.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    My computer is working the way it supposed to again, so for anyone that might need a little comparison, here is a picture of my new Bersa next to my old P238.

IMG_20160908_122523148_zps2kvpaaiz.jpg

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    One of my all time favorite pistols is the Bersa Thunder 22. I was very accurate with my old one. I may try to find another one. It was ammo sensitive but what semi-auto 22 isn't?

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    One of my first pistols was a Bersa Thunder; frame cracked after 300-350 rounds. I sent it in and Bersa sent me a new gun, which I promptly sold.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I miss my Bersa Thunder .380, but it's doing what it was designed for.
    I gave my Bersa Thunder .380 to my mom a couple of years ago because she finally decided it would be a prudent idea to have a gun in her house.

I still have a Bersa Thunder .32acp, which I came to find out are something of a rarity in the U.S.
    Not many imported in .32acp. It's a fun little gun too. Very accurate, and extremely reliable.

I'll get my .380 back, someday. Not anytime soon I hope...
    Still, I've thought about replacing it, and I still might.
    The Thunder line is a great design.

wildcatze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville
    Definitely my favorite gun currently and my normal carry gun. It was accurate and easy to shoot straight from the box. Thought about getting the CC version as the dovetail on the standard 380 is sometimes annoying but I switched to an alien gear holster and it's a lot more comfortable. Had zero maintenance or shooting issues.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Just had it out again today. Sister-in-law who had only shot one time before many years ago, did very well with it. It is doing exactly what I bought it for. Very good teaching pistol. Eating up my reloads without a single hiccup.

oDbCo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 18, 2016
    Franklin/Greenwood
    I have a thunder 380 and it's just not what I thought it could be. For me, it's too chunky to conceal carry. The ammo is expensive, so regular pinking isn't really an option. It just sits in the gun safe collecting dust.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a thunder 380 and it's just not what I thought it could be. For me, it's too chunky to conceal carry. The ammo is expensive, so regular pinking isn't really an option. It just sits in the gun safe collecting dust.

That's too bad.
    Every gun fits every person differently.
    What fits well in my hand could be the worst possible choice for you, and vice-versa.

I carried mine, before my mother adopted it, very comfortably, and I found it to be a great shooter, but it fit my hand well.
    You're right. The .380 offerings out there are far from the least expensive, but if you watch the interweb sales, you can find some bulk .380 FMJ plinking ammo relatively cheap.

Not all is lost.
    At very least, you can sell or trade it toward something better suited to you.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I've had a couple of them. Great little guns for the money, and solid carry gun. There are better options out there, but not for $250.

Top Bottom