• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    What are the advantages or disadvantages of one or the other? I have looked at the dim. but are they much different in felt size for ccw? I am looking for the one for most practical ccw use.

ajm

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Highly abbreviated, but yeah, INXS, my thoughts exactly. The 9mm round is going to be quite a bit more potent than the .380, and between the two, I'd take the 9mm..

schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Lizton, IN (Hendricks County)
    For practical ccw, a .380 round is pretty much the smallest for SD one would want, if not to small. If you would ever have to use your CCW in SD you would want the 9mm over the .380. However, its a trade off between gun size and bullet size. If you feel the 9mm is to big to carry then maybe a .380 would be better. But with the right holster you should be able to carry either easily. Its all what you like and dislike

As for me my normal carry gun is a .45 or .40 but there are times that I need a much smaller gun so I carry a .380 in those situations. Basically it is all on the CCW situtation which would suit you best.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    Bersa

I have the .380 and it is a great shooting little gun. Very accurate and nice size. Too big for my pocket, but hides in an IWB without you even knowing it's there.

I also have the Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact .45. It is a great gun as well. Very compact size and very accurate for a .45.

The 9mm is the same size as the .45 with a little thinner grip.

If you are looking for a CCW then consider this when looking at the .380 vs. 9mm.

.380: a little smaller, 7 rounds of mag capacity, less stopping power, easy to carry

9mm: a little larger (but smaller than most 9mm and very conceable), 15 round mag capacity, a little more stopping power, easy to carry

I'd say buy both and the .45. Don't buy either with a nickel finish because it flakes off (they have had issues). The .380 duotone is not nickel. I'd say buy the black matte finish on either one especially for CCW.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    My advice is to find a local shop that has them in stock and fondle...errrrr handle them.

I've been wanting to do just that with the 9mm, but haven't found one at the three stores I've visited in the last week. Does anyone know of a store that currently has one in the Indy area?

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    Beech Grove Firearms had one in their display case as of last weekend(9mm). They also still had a Lady smith 9mm. I Think the Bersa was $335 and the Lady smith was $450.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I have the .380 and it is a great shooting little gun. Very accurate and nice size. Too big for my pocket, but hides in an IWB without you even knowing it's there.quote]

What IWB Holster are you using?

I use a UBG (ubgholsters.com) Canute for my Bersa .45 and a Nassar for my .380. Both are the best IWB holsters that I've ever used for any gun. You don't even know you are wearing them.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I handled a 9mm one at the Beech Grove shop about a month ago. It was really a nice gun for a reasonably priced 9mm. I own the Bersa 380 and it is fun to shoot and a nice size for a small carry. I thought the 9mm was great also, but I think I would prefer the one with the double stack mags. I haven't held one, so I don't know if the handle is too wide, but I like the idea of the 17 round mag better than the 10 or 13 round mags.

Just my :twocents:...

Top Bottom