• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    Hey all. My first semi-auto that I bought last month is a Sig Pro 2022 in 9mm. I really enjoy shooting it when I can find the ammo and I enjoy shooting the 9mm round. Now I've got the bug to own more handguns. I would love to get a Beretta because of their famous name and their handguns look great.

I either want a 92FS with the safety and decocker or the PX4 with the safety and decocker. I know the PX4 has the barrel that twists.

I'm wondering, what's every ones opinion on these two guns and which would you pick and why?

I also want to know - the PX4 sounds really cool with the turning barrel but is that really reliable? Could that feature be more prone to jamming or something?

These guns would be used for target practice, home defense, possible carry, and just plain shooting the heck out of them for fun.

Thanks

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I have both a 92F (9mm) and a PX4 Storm Compact (.40 S&W). Both are excellent handguns and from an operations viewpoint, are very similar.

I do like the Beretta safety/decocking system and it's virtually identical between these two models.

The 92F is a "falling block" locking design vs. the Glock-style tilting barrel design. You can see the block below the barrel here:

dsc6749y.jpg

The PX4 Compact and Full Size, but NOT the Sub-Compact, use what Beretta called rotating barrel lock. It's not as complicated as it sounds. There is a groove in the barrel that engages a lug and as the slide moves back in recoil the barrel rotates about 45 degrees.

image008.jpg

I've never had a single problem with either system. Both hangduns function perfectly and will not disappoint.

I like the 92F because it was my first handgun. I learned to shoot with it and I could never part with it. The PX4 is interesting because to me it's Beretta's take on a polymer frame handgun without making yet another Glock clone.

It's a tough choice in my opinion because both are fine examples of Beretta craftsmanship. But the good news is that whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll like it.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I really would like to own both but I will only buy one. That 92FS just looks so nice.

What I wonder about the PX4 is that if the rotating barrel design works well and reduces recoil, why don't other manufacturers offer it?

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I really would like to own both but I will only buy one. That 92FS just looks so nice.

What I wonder about the PX4 is that if the rotating barrel design works well and reduces recoil, why don't other manufacturers offer it?

I am certain that you'll love a 92FS. It's heavier than the PX4, so it will give you less recoil. I don't believe the rotating barrel will soak up much recoil, there is just not enough movement or mass.

But in 9mm, you're not going to feel that much anyway, at least not in either of these full-frame handguns. As I said, I have a PX4 Compact in .40 S&W and I would say its recoil is low.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Never shot a 92 but I am very happy with my PX4. You have the ability to swap back straps to tailor the grip to your hand size which is nice. The recoil on my 9 is noticeably less than my BIL's XD. There is merit to the rotating barrel for sure.

As far as reliability I've yet to read anything about the barrel or the cam block causing any issues.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    I've shot the 92fs, and own a px4. I really didn't like the 92, it didn't feel right in my hand. The px4 is starting to compete with my CZ75 as my edc.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I've got a reasonable amount of time on an M9, but not really any 92F time. I'm not sure how they differ.

The grip of the gun it nice, but it's big a heavy for a 9mm. Makes for a very soft recoil, but sure feels huge for a 9mm.

I've never shot a PX4, but my experience with the M9 would have me look more at the PX4.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I've got a reasonable amount of time on an M9, but not really any 92F time. I'm not sure how they differ.

The grip of the gun it nice, but it's big a heavy for a 9mm. Makes for a very soft recoil, but sure feels huge for a 9mm.

I've never shot a PX4, but my experience with the M9 would have me look more at the PX4.

The only real differences between the M9 and 92FS is the roll marks. There are a couple of minor differences in the frame shape of the new ones, like the 92 has a slanted dust cover, the M9 straight, and the backstrap of the newer 92 has a palm radius where the M9 doesn't but most people would not notice the differences.

NiDanHeno

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    New Palestine, IN
    Although only familiar with the M9 previously, I recently picked up a PX4 Compact .40 and I'm a huge fan. IMHO it is an excellent choice. Then again I've not owned a Beretta I didn't enjoy.

John317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Can't go wrong with the quality of Beretta- Never had an issue with my PX4, it's super easy to clean and I've never had any issues with different types of ammo

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    This old-school Army REMF was just discussing M9 vs. PX4 last night with my son, who wants to invest his tax refund in some polymer firepower. The future Army 19 Delta whippersnapper and I will be shopping :spend: for his bullet launcher (his first pistol) this afternoon. Now my only mission is to talk him into .40 or .45 vs. 9mm. Thanks OP for this thread and thanks to all responders for your input.:yesway:

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Also have the PX-4 in 9MM and love how easy it is to shoot. Once you get one, you will wonder what took you so long to get one. Just don't tell everyone how great it shoots, you will sit it out as they fall in love with shooting your new pistol.

jtdet01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I have found that the balance on 92FS is better to me, basically due to the heavier weight of the frame. The PX4 is slightly top heavy, due to the lighter frame. This is probably common among metal frame vs. polymer.
    Just my 2 cents.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Can you put longer mags in the shorter grip versions of the 92 and PX4 without having to slide a stopper over the mag box and down to the baseplate?

I'm asking because I'm thinking about pairing a compact pistol with the CX4 carbine and I know the shorter mags won't work in the rifle. Am I backed into getting a full size pistol to have magazine compatibility?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom